Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1 Question 2 Proofs

Posted by rezrovs 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 1 Question 2 Proofs
March 20, 2010 03:15PM
What application are you guys using to write up the proofs for question 2? I'm using Microsoft Word and I'm finding it a challenge to do the assumption boxes. Can anyone recommend an easier way to draw them?
avatar Re: Assignment 1 Question 2 Proofs
March 29, 2010 01:39PM
I also use word.
As in COS261, I will use a table with merged cells and specific borders setup.
ra
Re: Assignment 1 Question 2 Proofs
April 06, 2010 03:28PM
I've been using openoffice for all my courses, it's formula editor is excellent for maths & logic, but I don't know a nice way to do proof boxes. Just seems kludgy.
I noticed in the acknowledgment section of the textbook that the authors mention Paul Taylor's Latex package for proof boxes. I'm planning to try this, if I have the time. Has anyone used it? Do you know where it can be downloaded or does it come with latex?
April 06, 2010 10:05PM
I use Fitch 2.3 from the LPL software. It came with one of the previous Formal Logic modules.

What I do is after completing the proof I turn on the following options.
Darken proof lines
Text in Bold
Show Step Numbers.

Then I just printscreen it, edit it with Paint, save as JPEG then copy it into Word2003

I do the same with normal questions that require the characters from formal logic. This way I don't have to worry about UNISA unable to see the characters with their software.
ra
April 09, 2010 03:41PM
@hideinlight your method has the added benefit that you know you have the correct solution smiling smiley

Just posting to say that I have Paul Taylor's proof boxes working. I'm using LyX, which is a word processor frontend for LaTeX, so you don't need to actually learn LaTeX, except for the proof boxes themselves, so it's just a few commands. Paul Taylor provides a pdf with examples of what the proof boxes look like and an explanation of how to use them: http://www.paultaylor.eu/proofs/boxuser.pdf
It's not a tutorial, so if anyone has any questions let me know.
Here is some added info for setting up LyX to use the proof boxes: http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?362,120230
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login