Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

COS211X and COS2144

Posted by RobynK 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
COS211X and COS2144
June 15, 2010 11:48AM
Hi all

I want to do these 2 subjects together in the second semester. It would lighten my load next year, which is my last year (hopefully).
So, to anyone out there who has done both of them, how difficult would that be? Should I do one first to better understand the subject?
I have no C++ experience, I come from a mainframe background.

Any advice/opinions appreciated.

Thanks.
June 15, 2010 11:55AM
No C++ experience ?? Then how is it possible for you to register for COS 211X in the first place OR am i missing something ?
COS211X has prerequisites of which is the "brother" module COS 112 V (ie. you first have to pass COS 112V )
Am i missing something anyone ??
confused smiley
Re: COS211X and COS2144
June 15, 2010 12:16PM
No C++ experience as in "real" coding experience.
I did do COS112V (a few years ago though). The point I was making was that I'm not all that familiar with OO, seeing as I work with mainframe coding every day. What I want to know is how tough it would be to do these two subjects together, part-time?
June 15, 2010 01:23PM
What language do you use?

The paradigm shift from functional programming to OOP is not that big. If you're an experienced programmer, you'll probably catch on quickly. Have you any other experience with C-family languages? (C, PHP, Java, JavaScript)
June 15, 2010 01:30PM
It all depends on how many semeter modules you are planning to do and the amount of free time you have this semester.
With COS2144 you will use Qt creator and COS211X Dev-C++. If you have limited time I wouldn't do them together,
as both require sitting writing code and getting it to compile.

COS2144 starts off with revision of COS112V, then you learn how to use Qt with C++ and then you learn different design patterns and QOjects, QLists ect.
COS211X deals with more complex C++, data structures, recursion, sorting and searching alogorithms ect.

I found it a challange to complete 3 COS modules, while doing 6 year modules. I started revision for the May/June exams 2 weeks before the exam - I was still finishing my assignments!. BTW I'm a full time student. That is why I decided to 1st do COS2144 and then COS211X this semeter (less stress!).

That's my opinion, but you should do what you think is best.
June 15, 2010 03:30PM
It is a lot of work to take both at the same time! i mean...LOADS of work if your attitude is not right.

If you start off early then thats good, but believe me, much of it has to do with attitude towards the subject/content rather than passing it.

COS211X not only concentrates in OOP using C++ but mainly on how to implement classes to define a number of data structures. They also want you to think recursively in order to cut the programming process in implementation.
COS2144 assumes a lot from a student and dives right into OOP using Qt4 which is an extension/framework of C++. You will also learn about creating Windows-style GUIs using Qt4 widgets.

you will notice that COS2144 wont make any sense when you first start but will easily fall into place towards the end. COS211X will appear easy from the moment read the textbook. If you wait till the end of the semester in order to cram then you wont make it.

I did both and passed. but a lot went into that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
MNE202V ~ MNG301A ~ AUE202M ~ INF3707 ~ INF3703
June 16, 2010 11:02AM
@BenVP

Both Qt Creator and Dev-C++ use the MinGW compiler. If you've set up your directories correctly, you will be able to compile in both. If you use Dev-C++ for the Qt stuff, just remember to run qmake as a prebuild step or you might miss some of the generated code.

For that reason, I'd actually recommend tossing Dev-C++ and just sticking to Qt Creator for everything. As I said, they both use the same compiler so you don't have to have a single piece of Qt code and it'll still compile.

Also, take in mind that neither of these subjects' primary goals is to teach you C++. They're supposed to focus on programming theory and use C++ for the practical. When I did COS214, we used Delphi. Personally, I think the Qt framework is a lot easier and you're better off learning about design patterns in addition to GUI programming than just GUI programming on it's own.
June 17, 2010 01:56PM
I never thought of that. Nice to know I have a choice. I tried a C++ source file form my 1st year in Qt4 and it worked fine. Qt4 also has something Dev-C++ doesn't have - context sensitive help.

Thanks for pointing that out to me,
I might just do COS211X in Qt4, I'll see how it goes...
If I need help with Qt4 I'll send you a message.
June 28, 2010 10:12AM
I would avoid context sensitive help - going to screw you over in the exams.

I'm redoing this module S2 (failed last year S2) and can say that you are better off doing your assignments in EMACS or Notepad than a IDE. I only realised this a few days before my exam (got only 45% as a result).

I'm not a strong C++ developer even though I use to love C (but that was more than 10yrs back). But in this module you can apply the pseduo code to any OOP language, even PHP.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
June 28, 2010 06:37PM
I have just registered the above and need to get started . May I have tutorial letters , for those who took these modules last sem.
COS211X and COS2144
July 07, 2010 09:22AM
Hie guys, I've just registered in second sem- if anybody has tutorial letters from first semester(incl. answer sheets for assignments), please email me on 43047939@mylife.unisa.ac.za. I got tutorial letters for other modules at first and second level if anybody needs them.

Thanks
July 10, 2010 04:46PM
Hi All,

Please can anyone help me out with Tut letters for COS112V?

Thanks people.
34371354@mylife.unisa.ac.za
August 11, 2010 12:12PM
kap n linked list my blaar!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login