Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cohen Chapter 5 Problem 2: Question Semantics

Posted by d-_-b 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Cohen Chapter 5 Problem 2: Question Semantics
November 03, 2010 12:03AM
Hi

I'm going to raise the issue with a lecture as-well but I just want your guys input on the semantics of Problem 2:

"Build an FA that accepts only the language of all words with b as the second letter."

I interpret the question as b my only appear once in a word as the second letter of the word.

Because with the solutions given in the study guide I feel the question should been stated as follow:

"Build an FA that accepts only the language of all words with b as a second letter."

But most probably it is just me reading in to much into a question, or not confused smiley
Re: Cohen Chapter 5 Problem 2: Question Semantics
November 03, 2010 12:11PM
Very good question...I agree with your logic. They can't really deduct marks if we did it in another way, since there is no way to say that it would be wrong.

November 03, 2010 09:43PM
Thanks for the feedback BlaXpydo!

After working out more solutions I realized: If we get such a open question I will just clearly state in my answer what I believe the question mean, and then solve the question using the assumptions I made.

So I'm sure if I fail and ask to review my exam paper I can fight them for the extra marks to pass thumbs up smiley
avatar Re: Cohen Chapter 5 Problem 2: Question Semantics
November 10, 2010 08:13PM
Um ... How many second letters does eg. your name have?

(The observation is just a tad out of time, I'll grant you).
November 11, 2010 01:20PM
Hi eddy

I do believe you are misinterpreting my question. I'm asking if the above question states that b my only appear once in a word generated by a FA. So lets use your name as a example "eddy" it consist out of the following alphabet {e, d, y}. How I interpret the question was that d may only occur once in a word thus your name with double d letters would not be accepted by the FA .

But I contacted the lecture and she told me: No, they will clearly state in the question how many times a certain letter may appear in a word so my semantic rambling is not correct in this case. But this is a classic case of interpretation and why things should be formally defined.

For example, I which they would ask the question like a formal definition:

Build in FA that adhere to the following rules:

1 The FA will only contain letters of the alphabet {a, b}.
2. b must be the second letter of all the words that is accepted by the FA.
3. Only words that adhere to the above to rule can be accepted by the FA.

Regards,
avatar Re: Cohen Chapter 5 Problem 2: Question Semantics
November 11, 2010 04:47PM
Wouldn't it just be something like (a+b) b (a+b)* ?

You pick one single first letter from the first parentheses (because that + forces you to choose one, only), and then you can only move right to the second letter of the word, because there's no asterisk. Here your sole option is a b. Thereafter you keep running round like a hamster on a treadmill inside the final parenthesis, picking either an a or a b each time. Or you say "Sod this, I've had enough of this word, and you terminate with a Lambda".

The word has just one first letter, one second letter, etc. (This property is essential to the existence of sequences of all sorts).

If you say b must be "a" second letter, you're implying that there's some choice in the matter. b is one of the available second letters. This is probably a point to let go of. It all boils down to what the conventions of English are, and might distract you from the business of tangling with the mathematics. I suppose that's a risk when the study material uses English instead of symbolic language.
November 11, 2010 08:36PM
I would interpret it as follows:

"Build an FA that accepts only the language of all words with b as the second letter."

this includes the following words:

ab, bb, aba, abb, abaa, abab, abba, abbb ...

it does not include the words:

^, a, b, aa, ba, aaa, aab, baa, bab, ...
November 12, 2010 09:27AM
what a crap subject. I cant see it being usefull for anything, ever. ag, just hope my doodling will get me enough marks to pass, so that I dont have to redo this shit.
November 12, 2010 10:45AM
@RandalFlag

Why don't you atleast try to understand the work? Won't you be taking Theoretical Computer Science 3 next year?

November 13, 2010 01:24PM
no ways!
November 15, 2010 07:07PM
@RandallFlag, if you want to know what this subject is is used for, then you should have a look at computer language generation tools like http://www.antlr.org/.
These tools are used for generating compilers for programmable languages, and the theory that you learn in this subject gives a pretty good background to understanding whats going on inside such tools.

Have a look at the screenshot for the antlrWorks tool and you'll see a familiar Finite Automata.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login