Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

post exam

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
post exam
November 24, 2009 10:38AM
hmmm.
Re: post exam
November 24, 2009 10:45AM
Ok. I've got something to contest here. Tut letter 102 made no mention that we were suppose to study Chapter 9 (user-centered approaches to interaction design) yet 10 marks came up in the exam! Not fair!
November 24, 2009 10:54AM
I went completely blank on heuristics!
November 24, 2009 10:57AM
I didn't like the layout of the questions..TALK ABOUT CLUTTERING !
November 24, 2009 10:58AM
that Heuristics question was terrible! I left it out. Man, i think that TUT102 breakdown of what we had to study did more damage than it did good looking at this exam.
November 24, 2009 11:00AM
I'm done for the year..hate to repeat(x3) this module again next year..
November 24, 2009 11:03AM
i agree !

phantomgavin Wrote:-------------------------------------------------------> that Heuristics question was terrible! I left it> out. Man, i think that TUT102 breakdown of what we> had to study did more damage than it did good> looking at this exam.
November 24, 2009 11:16AM
I also noticed that the Chapter 9 Question , 10 Points this was really unfair ! And what was up with question (1.3 I think) which one will dominate the future, this can go either way and the whole question was confusing. I stuffed up on 1.1 didn't pay to much attention that that.
November 24, 2009 11:21AM
I suck,
gonna do COS351 instead next year. Unless by some miracle I get a supp.
November 24, 2009 11:26AM
What a mess. This module needs some serious restructuring. TL501 is useless, mostly just a direct copy and paste from the textbook with some extra links. TL102 was utterly useless. The marks breakdown was wrong, the topics were wrong.

I propose that this module goes through a little "practice what you preach" evaluation session. Lets get some experts to evaluate the tutorial letters.

Like: GIVE PROPER INFORMATION OTHERWISE THE USER WILL GET FRUSTRATED.

--
"A man is the less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness - and none in art - if they are not dominated by illusion." Mr. Doctor
November 24, 2009 11:30AM
geez..what was that?! really not cool.

i also agree on chapter 9, those 10 marks..really unfair! Also heuristics...really??

They really made this one difficult to study for without giving us a CLEAR guide as to what is important - T102 was very vague - and even though we tried to follow it they still surprised us.

I mean honestly, this module has A LOT of theory - we can't possibly be expected to remember every damn page of the entire book.

I can't believe they didn't ask anything on DECIDE.

I really feel we need to complain..
November 24, 2009 11:33AM
I was also stumped by the heuristic question. Q1.3 wasn't fair either.

Like Phathom said tut 102 did more damage than good!!!

I guess I'll be here next year....also contemplating taking another COS module and skipping this one...

I'm done for this year, now where did I hide the Heinekens?
November 24, 2009 11:56AM
Hey all!
Glad I'm not the only one that struggled! I must agree about the not studying chapter 9. (10 marks)
And then the question about 1.3. wtf was that all about? 10 marks!

It really feels like the lecturers wanted to catch us out, instead of testing our knowledge of the subject...
They only concentrated on a very small amount of work covered through a YEAR and not including some of the most important aspects. (my opinion)

"Like: GIVE PROPER INFORMATION OTHERWISE THE USER WILL GET FRUSTRATED." - fully agree!
November 24, 2009 11:57AM
It was really nasty! Did not forsee a 15 point question about heuristics, had no clue... So yes, all in all a terrible experience, so much work for 80 marks, I would suggest splitting this subject over 2 papers.
November 24, 2009 12:03PM
I seem to be the only one who liked the paper. Before I get shot down, the only reason I liked it is was because the questions were mostly based on stuff that I knew so I'm quietly confident for a pass which is the only reason I liked the paper. I agree that they should have included more important topics and that heuristics question was terrible, I left it out too, what chapter was it even from?

I assumed, incorrectly, that the exam started at 9:00 as the first session has always done but I got there at 8:15 so I only lost 15 minutes.
November 24, 2009 12:05PM
What was question 1.2 again? Trying to add up possibly marks...
November 24, 2009 12:08PM
Wasn't 1.2 the question on user frustration... (reasons,what provokes it, and dealing with frustration)
November 24, 2009 12:20PM
ah yes!
November 24, 2009 12:50PM
I really think we should lodge a formal complaint as to how this module was handled, and the lack of guidance for our exam preparation. Also regarding the questions in the exam we had issues with.

What do you think?
November 24, 2009 01:21PM
This is the most theory intensive module of all of the 29 modules I have completed so far in BSC Soft Eng stream. There is a lot of work to cover, really you need to master this module because the discussion questions are big chunks but specific to small areas from the textbook. It was not like 20 questions worth 5 marks each covering the whole syllabus. So as for mastering - I did not. I blame myself. To be honest all of the INF modules thus far that I have done have been a bit of mockery in the difficulty level for a university student.

I'd rather have lots of smaller (harder) questions than a few big ones that I cannot answer adequately (based on the marks on offer).

TraceyB in Dbn? The girl who arrived late looked agitated through the exam, so probably not.
November 24, 2009 01:25PM
Yup, that was me, I didn't know I was being watched! *blushes* I wasn't agitated, just trying to remember what I wrote.
I liked the last question - prototyping, I wrote a full A4 page, I hope it was worth 15 marks.
November 24, 2009 01:47PM
Pruthven how do you suggest we go about to lodge a formal complaint ? Will it be worth it ? I also don’t agree with how this module was handled, tut 102 was useless and misleading as we had a question that was not listed in what we will be examined on. i.e Chapter 9 ?
November 24, 2009 02:24PM
Agree - concentrated on what they said to concentrate on the exam tut. I could tell you anything about conceptual models, scenarios, interviews and decide but totally stuffed up heuristics and user centered design. May as well not have studied at all and would have gotten the same result...
Anonymous User
November 24, 2009 04:11PM
i dunno wat to say man, i left question 1.1 completey blank.
November 24, 2009 04:31PM
I must agree with the complaints above. what next? Does the lecturers follow these discussions? Can we have some feedback from them?
November 24, 2009 05:26PM
Wow, It's actually getting a bit frustrating where the exam letters say learn xyz and the exam is on abc. It would probably be better if they didn't send out these letters so you'd cover everything and end up being ok :/ Call me lazy, but I don't have enough time to study 10x600 page text books and rely on what they point out as being important. This is not the first year this has happened for me either. Last year there was a huge drama with a paper where they dropped the whole last section because it wasn't part of the syllabus but made it into the exam for 40% of the marks.

Oh well, lets hope for the best sad smiley
Anonymous User
November 24, 2009 05:39PM
okay guys please help me figure this out- i only submitted assign one, i didnt do the other two, now wat mark would i have to obtain in the exam to be able to pass the module?? is it possible that even those who did all the assignments and got good marks but did bad in the exam are at a disadvantage, cos the exam mark would lower the total mark? did you guys do all ya assignments.
November 24, 2009 06:09PM
I did all mine, got ~75% for all of them. Can't check exactly right now cause my.unisa is giving errors :/
November 24, 2009 06:12PM
As far as I understand, your year mark is 10% of your final mark. So even if you did super well on the assignments, the best you can hope for is 10% getting added to the mark you get for the exam. So in order to pass you still need to get at least 40% for the exam (and that's if you got 100% for all of your assignments).

edit: thinking about that again I've not explained it right - your assignments make up 10% of your year mark and the exam is 90% of your year mark.
November 24, 2009 06:49PM
You'll need at least 45/80 [1] to pass if you got 0 for the year mark.

I also only did the first one because I fell behind with most of my subjects and couldn't submit any assignments (except for the 1st and 2nd for some) on time. I think I had 2/10 for my year mark so I would actually only need 43/80 [2] to pass.

[1] 45/80 = 56.25%, but it's only 90% of total mark, so 56.25% * 90% = 50.625% needed to pass the subject.

[2] (43/80)*.9 + (2/10)*.1 = 50.375%

--
"A man is the less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness - and none in art - if they are not dominated by illusion." Mr. Doctor
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login