Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

post exam

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
November 24, 2009 06:50PM
@amy 40/80 for the q paper
November 24, 2009 06:56PM
Regarding a complaint, if they see the average is very low they might raise it. However I believe they're going to retort with "Please refer to your Study Guide 501 (...) for the parts of the prescribed book that must be studied for examination purposes." that appears in TL102, despite what appears on the bottom of that page.

--
"A man is the less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness - and none in art - if they are not dominated by illusion." Mr. Doctor
November 24, 2009 07:02PM
Wiseguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> @amy 40/80 for the q paper

That won't be enough. (40/80) * 90% = 45%. That means she'll need at least 50% (i.e. 5/10) for her total assignment mark to pass. And since the first assignment didn't count that much it won't be enough.

--
"A man is the less likely to become great the more he is dominated by reason: few can achieve greatness - and none in art - if they are not dominated by illusion." Mr. Doctor
Anonymous User
Re: post exam
November 24, 2009 07:41PM
according to my workings, i need to get 45/80 to get a final mark of 50/100 cos only 90% of the exam paper itself counts. (45/80 * 90%=50.6%)
and since i didnt answer question 1.1 at all i need 37/65 to pass. so i need to have wrote enough sense to get 37 marks. am i write?
November 24, 2009 07:46PM
Hi,

I went blank on prototypes and skipped heuristics because it wasn't listed with the evaluation techniques on the exam tut.

I need 43/80 as well.
So what do you need for supplementary exam? 32/80?

What an anticlimax to my last exam, it may be my first Cos/Inf fail.

Cheers
November 24, 2009 07:52PM
hannes Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I went blank on prototypes and skipped heuristics
> because it wasn't listed with the evaluation
> techniques on the exam tut.
>
> I need 43/80 as well.
> So what do you need for supplementary exam?
> 32/80?
>
> What an anticlimax to my last exam, it may be my
> first Cos/Inf fail.
>
> Cheers

I am in a similar position. I skipped heuristics completely as well. I think I need 36/80 to pass. My last exam for the year, and it was a big anticlimax. Also the first COS/INF subject I may fail. Bleh.
Anonymous User
November 24, 2009 07:54PM
wat the hell am i thinkng??? i still need 45 marks from the possible 65 marks that i wrote for.
November 24, 2009 08:23PM
To be honest I didn't think it was too bad. Maybe that's because for some reason I somehow remembered 10 of the heuristics smile

The only area I struggled was on the user centred design, didn't have a clue...

I'm feeling lucky and hope I get a pass, then I finally have a degree!
November 24, 2009 08:43PM
I got 97% for the year and will do badly in the exam!!

I think they should send out an exam letter if its going to help. This tut102 was no help at all!

But at least I can have a few beers tonight grinning smiley

I'll stress about this when we get the results...
November 24, 2009 09:18PM
not fair at all, I'm done for, as I thought it was my last year UNISA succeeded in killing this dream, the whole examination focused on two or three topics! I mean come on, after all we BSc students do have the longest study period (with yearly modules), In some years I took up to 9 modules just to finish this long curriculum, you can't expect us to memorise every single word! the examination should span all the syllabus.

I'm so broken hearted.... this gonna be a sad vacation....
November 24, 2009 10:31PM
This is my second year writing this subject, and this paper was horrible. thumbs up smiley
November 24, 2009 11:01PM
After writing a great COS211 paper yesterday and procrastinated the rest of the day instead of studying for this one, I was nervous going into the exam...and dont really know how I did - I know I didnt stop writing for an hour and a half...my wrist still hurts! Just hope what I wrote is what the lecturers want...as for the heuristics...thumb suck of note! I dont think this is the first time this module has got complaints though - just wish they would do something about it. I was convinced they would ask something on DECIDE. Also, from the 1st year module (50 multiple choice questions) to the 2nd module (only 2 questions less than 4 marks!)...not really progressive...just thrown into the deep end! Anyway, hope I get a pass...even if its a scrape!

Thank goodness these exams are finally over! Now the wait for the results!
November 25, 2009 09:22AM
The basis for my complaint is the following

Tutorial 101 states:
"The syllabus for this module is covered in the 15 chapters of the prescribed book. Not all of this material will be covered in detail." - without further indication as to what will not be covered.

As for Tutorial 501 - it is outdated. A lot of the Unit Outcomes are based on the previous prescribed book - not a reliable study guide.

Tutorial 102 states we should consult tutorial 101 and 501 - which pointed out above is anything but helpful. Then it goes further to state a list of concepts - very general and vague, and as pointed out by other students, it just confuses you further.

Thus nowhere was it stated, clearly, what the actual syllabus for the exam was.

I have last years exam tutorial letter, and in it it was stated very clearly what had to be studied. There was a table indicating all the required chapters and chapter sections:

If they provided us with the same courtesy this year we wouldn't have had anything to complain about, as we would have been properly prepared.

I asked a lecturer before the exam for clarification on the matter but they are not allowed to comment.

They must keep all of this in mind when marking our papers.
Anonymous User
November 25, 2009 02:25PM
i agree bout d study guide not being updated. i mean we pay alot of money to buy the prescribed book, and only the second edition was allowed to be used this year but the study guide was not even updated, so why not allow us to purchase the old edition cos it is cheaper. some chapter objectives in the study guide are covered in a different chapter in the textbook.looks to me as if we could have used the old edition, but i was specifically told by a lecturer that i have to have the new edition which is double the price. wat bout those students repeating the module this year that used the old edition last year , this means they had to purchase the new edition jus for fun. unisa assumes we have time and money to waste. how cum las years exam letter stated specifically wat was needed for the exam, but this year we were made to reconcile the differences between our study guide, our tut101, the assignments, and the exam letter???? in tut 501, chapter 3 is not part of the syllabus, but assignment one , the question bout mental models is directly from the textbook end of chapter questions. and if i remember correctly there was a question in the exam regarding mental models. i didnt see anything that concept in
any chapter objectives. i mean wat the hell kind of structure, feedback and support is provided for in this sucky module???
November 25, 2009 02:36PM
aaaai, this exam also had me depressed afterwards and still does.
I battled to remember everything that I studied, and also failed to remember anything about heuristics because this is what I studied as per last tutorial:

I suppose heuristics falls under 12. since it is a way of evaluating a system sad smiley
I sincerely hope i pass this exam, studied almost 4 days flat for this one.

1. Human-computer interaction
2. Interaction design
3. Usability goals
4. User experience goals
5. Conceptual model (and the components thereof)
6. Affective aspects of interaction
7. Data gathering techniques (including task analysis, interviews, observation and field studies)
8. Different kinds of needs and requirements
9. Scenarios
10. Prototypes
11. The DECIDE framework
12. Evaluation of interactive systems (including usability testing and field studies)
November 25, 2009 02:40PM
I had to buy the new textbook. I registered for this subject 2 years ago, but then cancelled before the year began because I took on too many subjects. Without even realizing the textbook had changed, I re-registered for the subject this year. Only when I got to assignment 3 and the chapter headings weren't matching up did it come up that I still had the first edition! So I had to spend R700 in July to get the textbook...which was considerably different in the number of pages! OK it probably was my fault for not double checking the edition of the book, but after that exam its quite frustrating that I bought that book, I probably could have written the same stuff in the exam knowing what I did from the 1st edition!
November 26, 2009 12:40PM
Dof question, how do you know if you have the 1st or 2nd edition as I can't find that info on the book I have?
All I can see on the 2nd pageof my book is the year 2002 so I can only assume that I have the 1st edition.
Anonymous User
November 26, 2009 02:57PM
yes u have the old edition.n
November 26, 2009 04:20PM
what did you answer for the broad or narrow question?
November 26, 2009 04:22PM
Narrow .. and you ?

TraceyB Wrote:
> what did you answer for the broad or narrow
> question?
November 26, 2009 07:19PM
I said the textbook was narrow and the future was broad. Would love to see the marking sheet for that one...
November 26, 2009 09:57PM
I said broad for both, I first said narrow but then decided on broad. The more I read the question, the more unsure I got.
November 27, 2009 08:05AM
Same here !!

rezrovs Wrote:
> I said the textbook was narrow and the future was
> broad. Would love to see the marking sheet for
> that one...
November 27, 2009 10:10AM
I answered textbook - narrow and future - broad.
Anonymous User
November 27, 2009 12:31PM
i answered the textbook broad n the future broad.
November 27, 2009 01:40PM
TraceyB Wrote:
> I said broad for both, I first said narrow but
> then decided on broad. The more I read the
> question, the more unsure I got.

Same here.
November 27, 2009 09:22PM
broad...and broad..

I pm'ed a lecturer to have a look at this thread and to provide feedback on some of the concerns
November 27, 2009 09:35PM
Thanks Pruthven!
November 27, 2009 11:50PM
Some feedback would be nice....thanks Pruthven smileys with beer
November 30, 2009 08:46AM
I said both could be applied to the textbook(stating augmented interface being mentioned in the textbook with relation to surgeons using in everyday life for broad as well as principles etc being dicussed for the narrow) and then broad for the future.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login