Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help in Submitting Assignment 2

Posted by Davlin 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Help in Submitting Assignment 2
June 17, 2009 11:48AM
Hi All,

In the instructions to Submitting Ass 2 on page 38 of TL101 there is no mention of how to save a query, SQL Block, Statement, etc in a .sql file.
If I try and select File - Save As from withing SQL Plus it gives me an error "SP2-0116: Illegal Save Command".
I have also tried using the spool function but without success.
Should we be using SQL Plus for this or is there some other app to use?

Can anyone assist me in creating these.sql files?

Thanks.
Re: Help in Submitting Assignment 2
June 17, 2009 01:32PM
Hi

I have a problem to understand what the instructions are telling you. If you copy the file into a Word document and the transfer it into a pdf file and print it out and send it to Unisa - how are they going to access the links and know what you did??

Do you copy the statements from .sql to Word and print that out - that makes more sense but that is not what the instructions tell you.

Please help!!!
June 17, 2009 04:30PM
To create a .sql file, I simply copy the code into a notepad doc and save as a .sql file (in the Save As Type).

But Susan is correct - if you are just submitting code in a document, then just simply copy the code into a Word doc with a line saying that this was the code in the .sql file.
I haven't seen anywhere that we are required to submit .sql files. But I haven't done all the work for the subject yet, so if there is a requirement that we are required to submit code that imports a .sql file (for example), then follow the above to create the sql file for testing purposes and inclusion in the created code.
June 17, 2009 06:22PM
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
The part that gets me is that it is mentioned in TL101:
"[In order to insert the SQL coding:
Select INSERT ........
Browse to the folder MySQL and select the file Q1A.SQL. ............"

This means that we should be saving the files as .sql files but if we need to insert them into a Word doc eventually which will thereafter be PDF'd why just not save it as a Word Doc from the start? Instead of going through the trouble of Inserting .sql files from within Word???
avatar Re: Help in Submitting Assignment 2
June 17, 2009 07:39PM
I pasted the contents of every sql file into a word document. For example

Q5D.SQL
--- VIEWS
select ...

Q5D.LST
select

Cobus Neethling
June 17, 2009 08:58PM
Hi Cobus,

So all you did was copy from SQL Plus into Word?
June 18, 2009 08:55AM
Well, I saved the files and copied the content to word...

Cobus Neethling
June 18, 2009 12:05PM
Hi
I just copied the code from sqlplus into a word document.

Q2A.sql
Select....

Q2B.sql
Select.....

Don't see why it should be done otherwise? Or even converted to a pdf? (at the bottom of the instructions it says Unisa(2008) anyway... LOL )
June 18, 2009 01:12PM
It does help to have the files for backup in case you need to run or change them again. But copy and paste will probably give the same result.

Cobus Neethling
June 18, 2009 06:02PM
Hi All,

I am just going to copy from SQL Plus into a Word doc, cannot save them as per my first thread.
Thanks again for the help.

Later
June 18, 2009 06:13PM
I actually used sql developer from Oracle. much easier to use than sql plus.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/products/sql/index.html

Cobus Neethling
Anonymous User
June 19, 2009 09:43AM
Hi all,

I saved my code as .sql and then went into the word file I created, clicked on insert file and chose my .sql file to insert. The result is I get only the code sent thru to the Word document, the output of the code is not saved when u save the .sql file, jsut the code. I think this is what they want us to do. Will confirm with a lecturer.
June 22, 2009 03:54PM
Hi Judi,

So you got it done the correct way. How did you save the code as .sql using SQL Plus?

Thanks,
Anonymous User
June 24, 2009 09:18PM
Hey there,

I saved the files as say Q1A.SQL in my MySQL folder, then I went into Word and selected the insert file from the Insert Menu, and selected the all files suboption which allows you to insert the .sql file types into the word document.

Hope this helps.
Judi
Anonymous User
June 24, 2009 09:23PM
Oops! left out the important part of ur question Davlin.

In the SQL plus developing environment, click File, Save, Create and save your file as .sql into a target folder, after you have typed your code pertaining to the question you are going to save.

Rgds,
Judi
Anonymous User
June 25, 2009 01:44PM
Hi there

I m thankful that I just came right in time for the instructions for submitting assignmen 02.

Thank you Judi for your help

Regards
Thulani
June 27, 2009 10:24AM
HI Judi,

That is exactly what I tried doing but keep getting the error in my first thread when I posted the question.
June 27, 2009 06:20PM
I also get this error, but I found a way past it.
What I do is: in sql*plus --> edit --> editor --> invoke editor and then save it as Q??.sql

I hope this helps?
June 30, 2009 05:36PM
Check that there are no spaces in the path you're trying to save to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login