Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Overall workload

Posted by rezrovs 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Overall workload
December 04, 2009 01:16PM
Hi there

I'm looking to take this subject next year and I was wondering if you guys could let me know what you thought of the workload during the year? I've done COS211 this year and pulled out my hair on various occasions because I'm trying to get through without knowing enough C++. I imagine I'll need to know what I'm doing to get through the 3rd level subject though...

How did you find this subject in comparison to the 2nd level one?

Thanks in advance smiling smiley
December 04, 2009 01:34PM
(Might be safer to answer after we got our results....)

But, it is definately a nice practical subject to take & you learn some new skills which you can apply in any development environment.
Re: Overall workload
December 04, 2009 06:25PM
Thanks, that's good to know. Pretty sure I'll be getting frustrated with it but I guess it's worthwhile in the end.
December 04, 2009 09:09PM
Frustrated, no, that is definately not a correct description. But it can be challenging and a lot of practical, so keep your C++ hat on.
Anonymous User
December 05, 2009 01:39AM
If your c++ isn't great or you aren't a developer in another similar language, then be prepared to pull long hours on this one. In fact, consider taking this module alone for a year if you aren't a dev already. Seriously. This course assumes you know how to programme in c++ already (and who does these days?) and takes you a bit further. Great course with a fantastic open source textbook (Bruce Perens fanboi). I got a lot out of it!
December 07, 2009 01:17PM
I work as a Java dev but I really struggled through the C++ second year. I think my biggest problem was not putting enough time into it. Thanks for the advice though, it's helpful to know what I'd be signing up for!
December 07, 2009 01:21PM
Another recommendation: Don't take Cos340 the same year. eye rolling smiley
December 07, 2009 01:28PM
Lol! I'm staying FAAARRRR away from COS340. Graphics and maths scare me.... I'll stick with logic and AI.
December 07, 2009 04:24PM
Thanks to Reanie and Rick!

I'm also taking this subject next year....thumbs up smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login