Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

LPL Software Under Linux? Anyone managed this?

Posted by slow_eddy 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar LPL Software Under Linux? Anyone managed this?
January 20, 2009 11:32PM
I have a very very slow Windows computer, on which my LPL software is installed (because I was too lazy to do battle with Wine), and went to the LPL website from that computer, to get my upgrade. When I saw it was going to take 7 hours to download, I bailed out, because down the page they were offering Linux packages (deb. for ubuntu - I'm a Linux woossie). Great. Go scoop that up over the fast connection, and stick it onto the faster machine, and we'll be in business, china.

Ja, well. I seem to have hit a dead end. LPL says it's a shell script (or contains one?), but gedit seems convinced that it's unreadable, and is suggesting that it's a binary. So has anyone managed to install Linux versions of this software? If so, how?

This is not very very urgent, seeing as the old software works just fine (I rather fancy Tarski version 5 actually), but it would be nice to have the Tarski stuff and the email on the same screen. (Assuming my network stays in its current defunct state while I either procrastinate - like I'm starting to do on this bloody forum - or get on with more important things).
avatar Re: LPL Software Under Linux? Anyone managed this?
January 21, 2009 08:56PM
Reply to self. It's really, really EASY. (Mind you, I've not yet tried to use the installed packages, so there could be more fun in the offing).

This is what you do:
1. Switch off lazy mode. Trying to make Synaptic (or even apt-get) to sommer install the blerry thing in the raw is the long way. I mean Loooooooooong. n = number of attempts, and as t --> infinity n --> infinity. Just sticking to the "easy" path isn't going to cut it. But take heart, there's a much Easier way!

2. Make your downloaded package EXECUTABLE. (At this point the old hands yawn, or stare in disbelief at seeing something so trivial written down in BOLD letters).

3. How do I make it executable? You use chmod, of course.

4. If you're hasty, as I was, in spite of having just read that chmod is a superuser command, and you just type
chmod +x <<foo>>, chmod will tell you that it requires superuser privileges. So here's what you do:

$> sudo chmod +x <<the filename of your LPL package>> eg. ~/Desktop/TheLPLStuff

... to which your terminal will respond with the usual password challenge

5. Now it's executable. So now what? Let's say your package (which is actually a shell script) is located at ./<<TheLPLStuf>>
Type the following intricate command:

./<<TheLPLStuf>>

That's it (for now:... it's always possible to have more fun than this installing non-repo packages) LPL will claim to be installing itself somewhere, and to be visible to your package manager.

If for some reason ./<<TheLPLStuf>> doesn't work, try

sh ./<<TheLPLStuf>> if you haven't just given the wrong pathname.

I'd better post a non-verbose version of this somewhere. And then I'll go and splash some water on my face to make my rosy cheeks stop glowing. (It's no cause for shame, not knowing basic things about your O/S, but if you've been using it for Years, then it is rather disgraceful).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login