Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

prescribed book

Posted by ronniesmith 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
prescribed book
February 19, 2009 08:55PM
the preface of the textbook state that this book should be used 4 graduate course i.e honnours course

why do we used this text it would be better do use the new text this year.

Wots ur views
February 23, 2009 05:23PM
The part of the text book we use doesn't look at all like graduate course level stuff to me. I'm sure that once I'm through the basics and at eg. multithreading there will be plenty of challenges for someone at my level, but graduate level challenges? Not a chance.

The full text book is a great big doorstop of a book, so I suppose that things progress all the way from introductory to graduate level, and that's why the preface says what it does.

What do you think of the book? I like it. He writes nice and clearly, and doesn't assume you know absolutely nothing. No spoonfeeding, but low enough explanation level to make the new stuff clear. It's quite fair, for instance, for Unisa to assume that we know a (tiny, tiny, weenie little bit) of C++, the way Jia does; and it's nice when an author just takes that kind of knowledge for granted, and gets on with it, without going into the minutiae in detail.
Re: prescribed book
February 24, 2009 09:17AM
I've only started reading it last night. I like the book. It gets right down to the point. And it fits in perfectly with INF206 and INF207
February 24, 2009 07:30PM
I must go and look at Roedi Green's "Canadian Mind Products" Java site. I'm sure he has Jia down as a "definitive guide" there. No actually I'm not sure, am I? Otherwise I wouldn't have to go and look.

There are some pretty good explanations of UML on the web. One that looked worth returning to was "Wed yourself to UML". Sometimes it helps to get the explanation in other words.

I suppose in the end if there's time available for this, the thing to do would be to download the UML consortium thingy's guide.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login