Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is it ok to use ms visual c++?

Posted by spitfire 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Is it ok to use ms visual c++?
March 16, 2009 02:52PM
My source files will have things like #include "stdafx.h" in them, is that ok?

Adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up because they are trying to get ideas.
- Paula Poundstone
avatar Re: Is it ok to use ms visual c++?
March 16, 2009 03:05PM
If i remember correctly then the Tut's say that no support will be given should you use ms visual c++.
This means that if you experience problems during compilation then the lecturers won't assist assist you
..wrt submitting you code in ms visual c++ .. well that i can't answer and if you ask me it's gamble especially if you say that
you include directives that are not mentioned.

I would suggest that you stick to the GNU compiler only for submitting and continue to use visual c++ for your own experience and pleasure !? .grinning smiley
Re: Is it ok to use ms visual c++?
March 16, 2009 06:52PM
I got a bit frustrated with the ide for this unit and installed code::blocks (http://www.codeblocks.org/)
Not perfect but it works way better + it includes GCC so no problemo (will even use other installed compilers if it can detect them) when doing assignments.

It's a small install and works out of the box (don't know about vista, but it runs on Windows 2008 so it should be fine smile).
Re: Is it ok to use ms visual c++?
March 17, 2009 08:46AM
I also got frustrated with the IDE plus the debugger doesn't work on Vista. Changed to MS Visual Studio two days later.
If you are using the express edition click "next" during project creation and select "empty project", instead of clicking "finish" after giving the project a name. This won't include the precompiler directive.

To disable the headers in a current project go to Porject->Properties then locate Configuration Properties->C/C++->Precompiled headers and select Not using headers. Now you can get rid of the stdafx directive
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login