Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UNISA CEM101 vs ICDL issuses

Posted by cem-user 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
UNISA CEM101 vs ICDL issuses
January 24, 2009 10:58PM
Please be aware that even though UNISA says one can do ICDL and receive CEM101 credit it is not a slam dunk.
I did ICDL in Canada last year and have now been trying to get a credit towards CEM since November 2008 with no avail.
It seems that the documentation issued for a ICDL not done in RSA is not sufficient for UNISA. Not even an official transcript from the Canadian ICDL president could do the trick.

Thanks for the CEM lecturer who tried to help out even if it is not your problem.
avatar Re: UNISA CEM101 vs ICDL issuses
February 04, 2009 01:50PM
10 CEM101A is about money
20 goto 10
Re: UNISA CEM101 vs ICDL issuses
February 05, 2009 01:31AM
Have you sorted it out in the end? I have the same problem, did the ICDL in New Zealand and have sent the completed logbook to ICDL Africa last year and am still waiting to be credited.Contacted CEM101 contact person, they then gave me a number of a Mr Molefe in Acreditations, he said he needed to speak to his manager who was on lunch and would get back to me.....I am still waiting 4 days later!
February 05, 2009 03:31AM
Unfortunately I'm still trying to get CEM.
Because of this I am not allowed to graduate this year even though I had the ICDL done. UNISA says that ICDL will be credited but when I asked what the issue was I got a response saying the following

"We regret that we are unable to credit CEM101 as you need to complete 7 modules.
You have completed 7 modules and need to complete the outstanding 3 before credit is granted."

7+3 = 7? Huh

This whole process is flawed. Why is an ICDL certificate not good enough?

I wonder if one of the ICDL lecturers can maybe answer?
February 06, 2009 05:49PM
man that is ridiculous!
CEM101A Access Disc
February 07, 2009 11:57PM
The disc i recieved with my CEM101A study material does not install in my system.When i run the SETUP it give a message: "E:\Access.WW\OSETUP.DLL.digital siganture does not validate or is not present."

Pease help me on this one. I only have a STUDENT 2007 package so I don't have MS Access.
May 06, 2009 11:14AM
Why don't they just include the CEM101A fees with all the registration amount to reduce complications?
May 06, 2009 11:31AM
Hey there, Mrcool smiley. how do you put your picture to be displayed on
on the main forum page?
i am "joseph setati" on facebook from South Africa.
i have clicked the home link and it showed no link to do that.
cell: 27711646961
May 06, 2009 05:39PM
At the top right of the page is a link to Control Center. This opens a page with a menu column on the left. Select the Avatar link. Follow the instructions from there.
May 08, 2009 05:13PM
Well - if it will make you feel better - I wrote some of the ICDL manuals and training software in 1999/2000. It was still early days.

Granted - my stuff was based on Office 97, but you would think that it plus more then 20 years industry experience would help. Further I gave the ICDL training at another "competing" university in 2000 and 2001.

I still don't qualify... You have got to love the system smile

I have given up - much to the delight of the powers that be (I'm sure). I just don't have the energy to keep on fighting the issue.

Anyway - best of luck,and if you manage to get something right please let me know who you talked to - if you don't mind smile

--
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. (Albert Einstein)
May 16, 2009 08:54AM
I must buy a copy of ms office 2007 - this module forces me to use it, but unisa only provides access. Why don't they provide a trial version? I have to download +-400MB from microsoft. Bandwidth in south Africa is not cheap. Otherwise I must make a few trips to the Unisa labs. Since office 2007 applications has a wow-factor less intuitive horrible interface I need to be familiar with it.

It is infuriating. I don't want to interfere with my existing office xp installation - it works fine as a word processor/spreadsheet and I have no fkng need to pay +R1800 to upgrade every few years. So I have to install a virtual machine and install 30 day trial of windows xp ( unless there is a way past that - installing with the same key as the native pc and registering that with MS) and then after downloading the office trial version I have to install that. What a nightmare. The alternative is driving to the unisa labs in Durban just to get familiar with the interface.

This course is easily the most expensive module I have encountered ( on my 28th-30th modules this year). I have to take leave for tests and use fuel for a stupid module that I am familiar with. I have to either buy or download a trial of software I don't need because of the interface differences. I have no choice in chosing not to buy the textbook - one is provided at an inflated cost, and you can't sell it next year. The book looks like it was laser printed on demand.

I wonder if the decision makers for this module are running the Future managers company as well. Because nothing else makes sense.

Sorry if I am out of line, i am just getting angry and venting.
May 27, 2009 08:33PM
have you forgotten the primer tests? tongue sticking out smiley

----------------------------------------
at the sound of "apartheid" / "racism": defensive, defensive, defensive, ... makes one think
> ... "wow Shaka, this land is huge and... and... oh my Ancestors! are those children?"
May 27, 2009 09:56PM
You should be able to do the ICDL in any software you wish. If you can find a center that does office 2003 or earlier, try that instead.
confused smileyRe: UNISA CEM101 vs ICDL issuses
September 23, 2009 01:34PM
Guys how long does it take to recieve the certificate after you've posted ithe log book?
avatar Re: confused smileyRe: UNISA CEM101 vs ICDL issuses
September 24, 2009 06:22PM
two years or so.
September 25, 2009 09:43AM
Got mine in just less than a month (3-4weeks).
September 26, 2009 08:59AM
I'm still waiting for mine and I posted the logbook last week. see? a year has gone by already!
September 30, 2009 09:55PM
It takes as long as a piece of string smiling smiley .... if you have only handed in your Log book now with all the mayhem of last minute completions then it takes a bit longer. I completed mine last year September (5 days to spare) and I got my certificate in December. Makes as an awesome coffee cup coaster like my A+.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login