Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oscommerce Questions

Posted by Pikachu 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Oscommerce Questions
April 13, 2009 09:46AM
Due to permission restrictions on most files, I cannot change any of the following.

1) Does this mean: What we can't change, is not part of our practical assignment?
-) Example: Stylesheets.
-) Example: Shipping & Returns Information.
-) Example: Privacy Notice Information.
-) Example: Conditions of Use Information.
-) Example: Some files directly linked to the Oscommerce options. (HTML newsletters / emails)
-) Example: Add/Remove/Move/Reorgonise...Columns, Rows, Headings, additional boxes etc...

2) Will we need to host this, our "Demo Site" to the public to be graded on it? Or will we be graded on this "Demo Site" as it is on the Unisa servers.
-) Example: Installation aspect of the sofware , to see if we can upload all the files to a hosting company and get it to run.
-) Example: Process a real order too? Sell an item/items for real?

3) Will the grading be on realism or software knowledge?
-) Example: Will we be rewarded if we added different currencies, different shipping prices and shipping rules according to country and weight / price even though they are not REALISTICALLY set prices?

4) Could the other student/students also please post some questions/responses/tips regarding the practical please.
-) That way the aspects of the sofware that is bit more complex than the rest will become more clear to all students.

5) The payment models are easy enough to add and alter, but how does the physical money get into your business after a client ordered and payed for it?
-) Please dont kick me for asking, I DID try to do some research on that but I can't quite get the logic behind this.
-) I can understand the PayPal aspect, because there the payment module has something "linked" to your business. (an email, which is in return linked to your business etc..)
-) Pricetag has a merchant ID which I take it is directly linked to your business details with them. (one which is required to do electronic business, or not)
-) What about credit card usage? It seems a bit unclear and is the main reason for question 5.

][-][appy Easter smiling smiley
Mac
Re: Oscommerce Questions
April 13, 2009 09:40PM
If you want to change any files, just post the files names here e.g. 06/catalog/filename and I will change the permissions to do so. What you want to do is not part of the course (it is advanced) but I will not stop you from doing do. Just remember to make a backup before you start playing around smiling smiley

You are only required to populate your cart. How you populate it will tell us a lot about your theoretical knowledge (i.e. will you offer car radios. If, why? If, why not?) We conclude this from the type of products you sell.

This demo site will not go public.

While there are various payment modules available, Pricetag offers a South African (but also International) payment module which is simple to install (or use the link in an earlier post to make use of a company to do it for you - while hosting your site at the same time - you can't get a better deal). Don't concern yourself with the technical side - you install the module (but you have to have an account with them before it can be used) and the rest is automatic. Because this module can not be installed, your cart is evaluated up and until the payment process - why give you marks for something that you have no control over?

Whereas you will be required by banks to register a merchant account (its about equal to getting a house loan these days), Pricetag has a merchant account. So you sort of like make use of their account - people pay Pricetag, they take 5% and pay the rest to you. This is cool, since they take responsibility for keeping customer information safe (as by law). The process is thus -> I click on the product I want. It goes into the cart. When it is time to pay, you are taken to Pricetag, who does all the bank stuff -> they get the money by credit cart-> they take 5% and transfer the rest into your account. After the payment process is completed, the customer is returned to your site to a page where you thank them (the payment module allows you to enter the message you want them to receive on return).

Grading does take into account currencies, but not anything to do with shipping and weigh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login