Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Confirmation of prescribed book for 2006

Posted by robanaurochs 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Confirmation of prescribed book for 2006
January 08, 2006 08:49PM
Hi there

Due to UNISA taking so long to process payments, I have not received tut101 yet. One would think that credit-card payments via the website would be instantaneous but this does not apply to UNISA - It took more than 2 weeks. I was hoping to beat the rush for textbooks by ordering in December but alas this was not meant to be

Since Osprey has not updated yet with new tut101 downloads, could somebody who has received the tut101 for 2006 please post the ISBN on the forum.

Thanks
Rob
avatar Re: Confirmation of prescribed book for 2006
January 09, 2006 07:23PM
I don't know what it is but I bought Tamara Dean for 2005 for R410 and tried to put it up for sale at the 2nd hand bookshop. They tell me that they have changed the textbook after 1 or 2 years ... and so thats my money down the drain as I hoped that the costs could have been shared on to a 2006 student.

Now I need to buy mat112 calculus book and am told that it is R390 second hand standard price, and the tut letter says that they are changing the textbook as the current one is out of print.
Do I buy it at that price ? Luckily they mention the one that they plan to use in future, and I think I might try and get that one instead.

Although I used the cos 226 textbook for the assignments I passed 75% purely on studying the crib notes for this subject. And although networking is a very modern and pacey subject, I think a ten page photocopy could suffice , if the syllabus as changed or if there is new subject matter.

R410 + R262 + R300 + R300 = unsellable! What crap!
Worse , only one is programming , and even that is basic Delphi, so I am unlikely to ever refer to it in future. There others are all theory that I can find on the internet.

Vis
Re: Confirmation of prescribed book for 2006
January 10, 2006 10:03AM
I don't see why they should change the textbook every two years, it just doesn't make sense. I took this module last year and the syllabus covered networking fundamentals, not technology that is changing on such a regular basis. The textbook covers all these fundamentals very well and I think UNISA should stick with it for longer than two years so that students are able to sell the book the following year. I'm probably going to hang onto mine, its a very good reference and troubleshooting book.
Re: Confirmation of prescribed book for 2006
January 10, 2006 12:43PM
Hi

Anyways this is the book for 2006.

NETWORK+ GUIDE TO NETWORKS WITH CD (AUDIO)
isbn/code 061921743X
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login