Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How much is too much?

Posted by trinity 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
How much is too much?
December 15, 2008 10:49AM
Hi,

I am still trying to decide...I have 12 modules left to complete my degree. Is taking 6 year modules next year too much, considering I work full time? I'm just anxious to finish my degree!!
avatar Re: How much is too much?
December 15, 2008 10:52AM
take 12 smiling smiley
December 15, 2008 10:56AM
Shouldn't be too much. I am taking 6 honours modules this year while working an extremely demanding job.
Without knowing which modules and what your skill level is though it is difficult to say for sure.
The sort of job you currently have would also play a big role. If you are doing large amounts of overtime this would obviously make things less easy.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
December 15, 2008 10:58AM
or the most important question....are you married with children?
December 15, 2008 10:59AM
Take 12. Should not be too hectic if you're single with a comfortable job.
Re: How much is too much?
December 15, 2008 11:27AM
Geez, don't think I will cope with all 12! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out I might go a bit mad.

Well, will definately take:
COS211X
COS2144
COS201V
COS2213

and then maybe:
INF303D
INF307H

I am not married and do not have kids BUT my job is hectic and I do travel alot. Has anyone done INF307H? I see that in 2009 they will be using Oracle 10g for that module? What were they usinig this year? I'm a bit weary of taking it the year they change the software for it because (as I have expreienced in the past), it will be a disaster.
December 15, 2008 12:37PM
How many times a year do you travel? And for what sort of length of time? Do you usually know well in advance that you will be traveling or does it come out of nowhere?

I would expect the subjects you have listed to be manageable.
Both of those third year modules are fairly easy ones though so it should not be a problem.

As far as I remember before Oracle the module used access, which was disgusting.I don't know why they can't use something decent like postgresql or even mysql, Oracle 10g is a huge download and is not particularly standards compliant so is not a good example, it is also a pain to install and slows your computer to a crawl)

--
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 12:44PM
using oracle 10g on linux is a pain in the butt too.
December 15, 2008 12:51PM
Normally I'm out for a week or so every month. It's difficult to really say because I will get sent somewhere out of the blue.

We are running Oracle 10g here at work. So hopefully, INF307 will be a breeze for me! I guess 6 modules should be manageable. Will stock up on strong coffee and possibly have no social life. smileys with beer
Does Unisa supply the Oracle software or will that be an additional cost?

I dig mySQL, btw! Been playing around with it.
December 15, 2008 12:54PM

using oracle 10g on linux is a pain in the butt too.\
Yeah, it basically infests your operating system :/ Best to keep it on a seperate install from normal entirely.

Oracle 10G is free.
Not sure if they will provide it or not it is about a 150mb download or something otherwise...

--
December 15, 2008 08:32PM
I'm also wondering about this. I'm planning on doing about 14 first year modules next year but its all math and physics and theyve been clamped into semester modules. I resigned this year to do this fulltime, but other stuff always comes up to rob me of time.

First semester
mat112
mat103
phy105
phy106
cos112
cos113
cem101

2nd semester
mat113
apm113
apm114
phy102
phy103
cos111
css101

I'm wondering if I should stick cos111 and css101 in first semester too, that way if I fail something I don't have too many subjects in 2nd for the supplementaries?
December 15, 2008 11:03PM
Did you do any modules this year?
December 16, 2008 06:54AM
I was on the access course so I had just cos101 and cos114x and english access. None of the ones listed above.
December 16, 2008 03:03PM
There are new rules: only 10 modules a year (and 5/semester for semester modules). Only if you are completing your degree that year may you take 2 more.

Just found this out yesterday. I had to cancel 2 modules. My CS modules. Damn. sad smiley Guess I have to get off these forums sometime now.

Let me bet that this rule will be changed back to what it was by next year! B.t.w. this is documented in the general Calendar, last few pages somewhere. The B.Sc. calendar still says 12 modules, but it is a mistake.
December 16, 2008 07:43PM
Well I called the contact centre and they said its cool if I'm fulltime.
December 16, 2008 10:12PM
tannieIBM Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
<snipped>

> Just found this out yesterday. I had to cancel 2
> modules. My CS modules. Damn. sad smiley Guess I have to
> get off these forums sometime now.
>

<snipped>

No, you can still post here. If anyone asks say "Goose gave me permission".

(Seriously, you can still post here, you don't *have* to be registered to post,
some of us aren't registered)
Anonymous User
December 17, 2008 07:10AM
I thought new rules only apply for new registrations
December 17, 2008 10:11AM
spitfire
Well I called the contact centre and they said its cool if I'm fulltime.

Frack. I queued for four hours to get to the Big Honcho Tannie at the back in her office to discuss this with her, and she was like Mrs Rottenmayer: ONLY TEN MODULES!!! Perhaps I'll just... quietly add them again next year, when nobody is watching...

Thanks Goose! I'll keep posting...
December 17, 2008 10:17AM
I am also not registered anymore...its greaT!
Anonymous User
December 17, 2008 02:00PM
did you can your masters or is it just year end stuff?
December 17, 2008 03:09PM
I don't think he is doing master's through UNISA... & I think he meant that he is not registered with UNISA. But that's only if memory serves me right, which given the time of day, day of month and month of year, might not be so trustworthy...
Anonymous User
December 17, 2008 03:39PM
i know he is not registered at unisasmiling smiley he has not been for a while. but I know with things like masters you need to re-register every year as well. I also recal lthat he said he was going to maybe stop masters if the problems with supervisors continued
December 17, 2008 04:09PM
Yes, but if read in context I think he referred to being registered with unisa smile
December 17, 2008 04:30PM
I am still registered for MSc, but with UP...so not an active UNISA student smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login