Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who wont be here next year?

Posted by spitfire 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Who wont be here next year?
December 13, 2008 11:18AM
Before you dissapear, some questions:

How long did it take you to get degree?
How many subjects did u do each year?
If you studied full time, how long do u think it would realistically have taken you?
If you were at another university previously, how does the quantity and difficulty of work compare?

Tell me about your work methodology. i.e. Did you study 2 hours each night, or just 16 hours a weekend or what.
I would also appreciate a time/effort breakdown of the subjects relative to each other if anyones up to that.
avatar Re: Who wont be here next year?
December 13, 2008 12:07PM
1. Too Long
2. 10, 4, 10, 8
3. 3 years
4. UNISA has higher standards for Comp Sci

I do very little work, basically read the textbook when I get them at the beginning of
the year, then do all assignments (rereading when need be) then quickly flip through
the textbook before the exam[1] (spending all my study leave arsing about with the car
or guitar, or somesuch) ...

Hmm, don't remember all the breakdowns, the inf modules took the most time (had to
keep rereading - inf info is arb). The programming modules, with the exception of
cos340, took the least time. COS311 (when I did it, was about CORBA) took almost
none of my time, skimmed the textbook only once at beginning of year[2]. Computer
architecture was okay as well (was writing in various forms of assembler from
1988, so no biggie). Formal logic (all three years) took some time as well, but not
a lot. All the programming modules I breezed through (in all the years). Did
the delphi one in my final year, never even read the textbook, other than to
criticise the fact that the lecturers for the module were using their own publications
as a required textbook.

[1] Do not try this method with cos340
[2] Was already familiar with developing using the gnu toolchain - developed on Linux
for about 10 years before I wrote cos311
Re: Who wont be here next year?
December 14, 2008 07:28AM
1. 3yrs
2. 12, 10, 9
3. n/a
4. n/a

In my final year I did about 2-4yrs per week day. I write my own summaries for both theoretical and practical studies - this helps me remember and understand it better... not to mention that they come in handy during exam time.
December 15, 2008 07:26AM
1. 4 years.
2. 11/12, 7, 7, 5.
3. N/A.
4. N/A.

Making notes does help. However, I could never get around to doing them properly, i.e I would start but never finish my notes. The best method for me at UNISA were doing the assignments and before the exam I would go over all the assignments and other study material a few times. I would go over the textbook once and then skim over it before the exam.
December 15, 2008 08:13AM
Thanks for replies guys.

"If you studied full time, how long do u think it would realistically have taken you? "

This was a hypothetical question. How long do you think you could do it in if not part time?
December 15, 2008 09:05AM
1. 4 years
2. 4 (access maths etc. crap), 12, 12, 8
3. 3 years(assuming I didn't have to do access maths - otherwise still 4)
4. N/A

"work methodology" basically the same as what goose has said, except no guitar and stuff tongue sticking out smiley

P.S. I would recommend taking an extra subject in the final year to avoid unnecessary pain in the event of a marker screwing up(Or you actually legitimately failing one).
I ended up having to take a sup for AI in my final year due to the marker of the exam screwing up, the delay in getting my actual degree and the suspense etc. was really painful.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
December 15, 2008 09:52AM
***And so we go on with our lives. We know the truth but prefer lies, lies are simple, simple is bliss.
Why go against tradition when we can, admit defeat, live in decline, be the victim of our own design - nofx***

Read your signature for the first time smiling smiley I actually think lies are not simple at all, they usually get so complicated, you end up living with a number of "realities" and you need to remember what you lied to who smiling smiley
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 10:17AM
I think it means that ignorance is bliss.
December 15, 2008 10:18AM

Read your signature for the first time smiling smiley I actually think lies are not simple at all, they usually get so complicated, you end up living with a number of "realities" and you need to remember what you lied to who smiling smiley
Lies are only complicated for the person telling them though and not the person believing them, certain lies are very easy for people to believe this is why denial is such a powerful thing.

The song this quote is from deals with large problems in (American) society as a whole.
The type of lie it is referring to is for example that the justice system is fair, it is a lot easier for the average person to believe a lie like this then to face the harsh and complex truth.(That the justice system is in fact often very unfair - look at plea bargains for example)
An example given in the song is that smoking weed in one American state will land you in jail for 20 years getting anal raped. While in another state it will just cost you a 20 dollar fine.(Where is the justice in this?)

The lyrics are a good read. 18 minutes of pure awesome

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Anonymous User
December 15, 2008 10:25AM
7 years
1, 9, 2,1,6,5 (and somewhere I have a year missing???)
my full time degree took me 3 years so I guess the same would apply
I did a BSc in geology and chemistry so there is no comparison

I tried to do assignments as early as possible. I then studies the day before the exam. That worked for undergrad but is a stuff up in honours. then again my brain is too old now.
December 15, 2008 10:44AM
5 years
3 years, possibly 2 (1st years stuff is dead easy)
I've completed 2 yrs of another BSc Comp Sci majoring in Business Management and the workload is more but less complex.

I was spoiled with the 1st year subjects... hardly studied at all, did assignments a day before D-date. Tried to apply the same methodology 2 my 2nd year subjects (also the reason why I took so many) and it didnt work too well - I had to adjust to allow at least 3 days for an assignment and a week for exams. 3rd year was the best, I would start studying between 4 and 5am every day for about 3-4hrs per day and tried to work in another 8hrs per day over weekends. Close to exam time I started at 2.30 til 8am. Works like a charm, it's nice to be ahead and to know your work. The only problem with that many 3rd yr subjects is the packed exam schedule - I wrote 4 exams in 3 days and it was incredibly difficult to prepare for.
December 17, 2008 03:47PM
1. 6 years
2. 4, 8, 5, 3, 7, 3
3. I did it full time
December 17, 2008 04:13PM
lordamp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 1. 6 years
> 2. 4, 8, 5, 3, 7, 3
> 3. I did it full time

Who bought you food for 6 years?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login