Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken

Posted by AndreB 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Broken
November 28, 2008 06:34PM
What a year. I'm pretty much only firing on 2 cylinders at the moment. I could crawl into the foetal position, and drift off to a long, deep sleep. Perhaps 1 battle too many, I'm bruised and battered - just need a bit of rest to recover before taking on yet another year.
November 28, 2008 07:45PM
You
November 28, 2008 07:45PM
You need a massage (or more than one!) and an entire weekend in bed, only getting up for hot, foamy candle-lit baths and red wine. And dont think. At all.
Anonymous User
Re: Broken
November 28, 2008 08:00PM
try changing your routine (learn to tell your superiors to f-off (in a nice way of course)).
Old army saying: "'n gesonde lyf huisves 'n gesonde gees". Not just gym: less booze, more veggies and some breathing meditation. There's a simple breathing meditation where the subject focuses on the breath going in and out of the body and tames the chattering monkey (for a while)
November 28, 2008 09:32PM
Break something small, but significant!
November 29, 2008 07:48AM
Do something therapeutic - paint the house, or strip the laawnmower engine, or
install a sprinkler system ... something where you work with your hands.
November 30, 2008 07:15AM
Rick Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> try changing your routine (learn to tell your
> superiors to f-off (in a nice way of course)).
> Old army saying: "'n gesonde lyf huisves 'n
> gesonde gees". Not just gym: less booze, more
> veggies and some breathing meditation. There's a
> simple breathing meditation where the subject
> focuses on the breath going in and out of the body
> and tames the chattering monkey (for a while)

Thanks to all for the comments.
@Rick - I've told my superior to f-off, in a not so nice way, more than once - and it is this anti-trust relationship that has probably tired me more than anything else.
I even skipped my last exam to go and kill a fire at work - which involve the f-off part.
The breathing meditation sounds pretty interesting, however it is not so much a chattering monkey as a raging bear.
@goose - my family and I have been working in the garden the last few weeks (it is quite a large one) and it has been quite therapeutic.
December 01, 2008 08:53AM
Hi Andre

I've been there and trying to get through it. I'm currently just working and not taking on any other responsiblities until I feel able to handle them. I plan on only studying three subjects next year so I don't crash and burn.
December 01, 2008 01:32PM
Thanks Tracey,
People often talk of burn-out, but in all honesty I went through this around 2 years back, but managed to keep on pushing through. I do believe though, that the stress of this year has been increased exponentially by perhaps taking on battles that I cannot win (for now at least).
Just a week or 2 is all I need to re-focuss and get ready for next year.
December 01, 2008 01:42PM
I found these pressurised times to not be that dangerous, it is after them, when everything becomes relaxed, thats when I crash!
December 01, 2008 01:53PM
I have been studying for 3 years now, and I've realised my business is suffering. Things seem to be very quiet when usually this time of year is chaos. All my big web projects that were due to kick off in October/November have been put off until January. Everyone seems to be waiting to see what the economy does, or simply exhausted and they don't want to face anything new.

I have a couple of friends in consulting type work that are getting desperate with absolutely nothing in the pipeline at all for next year. My retail clients say things are sluggish. The industrial guys are looking forward to overseas sales with the Rand being what it is, but admit there isn't anything in the order books yet.

I'm a bit concerned about next year.
December 01, 2008 02:34PM
I have officially also crashed today... I can't wait for the holiday!! 23 days to go hehehehe!

Now just that last exam result then I can relax officially! Are you guys in holiday mood yet??
Anonymous User
December 01, 2008 02:54PM
if you want to know all about crashing and stress... honours people only write exams in january and february. My last assignment (which is a project) was due today. From now till 14 and 22 January I get to prepare for and write 2 exams. so much for a holiday. I then have to wait from today till probably mid march for my exam and project module results.

and screw it if I wanted to go to another university to do masters. they want results in january for their 2009 intake.

I took my new dogs for their first walk yesterday and to get home and find them COVERED in ticks. The one dog is also a 'bolter' so I got to spend 45 minutes of "panic time" with them today when the garden service arrived and even after I told them a million times not to leave the gate open, they leave the gate open.

I will not even mention some of the issues at work. perhaps I should take builders wharehouse up on their christmas present deal of a pack of blades for only R5!!!
December 01, 2008 03:03PM
@celene, I also finished my honours in Jan/Feb, but still got accepted in that year at UP...masters are much more flexible, they seem to let you register whenever you want smiling smiley
Anonymous User
December 01, 2008 03:09PM
in that case wits is anal
December 01, 2008 07:25PM
Celene, what dogs do you have?
Anonymous User
December 02, 2008 07:04AM
2 siberian huskies. the male is the dark grey and white coloured one with blue eyes and he sounds like a wooki when he "talks". the female is white with a little bit of light grey on her back.
December 02, 2008 09:03AM
Beautiful dogs!
Anonymous User
December 02, 2008 09:52AM
yep smiling smiley just naughty
December 02, 2008 10:02AM
Last year I decided to quit my previous job - one that was well-paid, fast-lane and dynamic, but completely crazy and sucking the life out me.

I took a job that is maybe grand, less interesting, pays less and is possibly a bit dead-end, but my boss is wonderful and she treats me like I'm the queen of MENSA and a cum laude graduate from Hogwarts. I actually work hard in order to not disappoint her, but I never resent anything I do.

I often think about how good life is while I'm on annual leave.. or on annual leave again. (I get so many annual leave days..)
Anonymous User
December 02, 2008 10:04AM
I'm feeling rather content (for the first time) these days. My goals are being realized and life is peachy. Hope it lasts...
December 02, 2008 02:06PM
Daydreamer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last year I decided to quit my previous job - one
> that was well-paid, fast-lane and dynamic, but
> completely crazy and sucking the life out me.
>
> I took a job that is maybe grand, less
> interesting, pays less and is possibly a bit
> dead-end, but my boss is wonderful and she treats
> me like I'm the queen of MENSA and a cum laude
> graduate from Hogwarts. I actually work hard in
> order to not disappoint her, but I never resent
> anything I do.
>
> I often think about how good life is while I'm on
> annual leave.. or on annual leave again. (I get
> so many annual leave days..)

and now you can officially sit and day dream smiling smiley
December 03, 2008 09:24AM
@Daydreamer - Good for you! How cool is that smile
December 03, 2008 11:58AM
I feel pretty good too, I was hired because the company needed a coldfusion developer but they're pretty keen for me to learn C#.net so they want me to do more work for other clients I think which is great. For now its only 4 hours a day but if I get given C# work, maybe it will be full day with more pay.

Its the perfect job, I was hired for my skills but I get to learn new skills at the same time.
Anonymous User
December 03, 2008 12:09PM
*cheer*
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login