Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CEM101

Posted by visnaicker 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
November 19, 2008 04:46PM
They quote me R1010+R765 for CEM101 ( computing for Idiots ) . That is so expensive, and this is the ICDL which means 2-3 days leave and petrol costs to write 6 exams for beginners. Other than CEM101 and maybe COS301 which I will not get a supp, I have only COS340a to complete my degree.

Why must I pay R1775 for CEM101 (with textbooks) ? Cost in the leave and fuel and this SUCKS big time. No one answered my request this year - I want to substitute another module instead. In fact let me do two.

CEM101 sucks.
Anonymous User
Re: CEM101
November 19, 2008 04:47PM
do stats 101 instead winking smiley
November 19, 2008 04:48PM
I had EXACTLY the same argument last year and asked UNISA if there is any other proof I could give them that I know all these things (I work in the Software Industry) but I still had to fork out that money!!!
Anonymous User
November 19, 2008 05:04PM
You can get away with RPL if you have the certificate (think syllabus 4 or 5) - and you can get the certificate by writing the exams - Saturdays. But UNISA will then charge you for the RPL service - I think

The ICDL centres are making a good amount of money. There's a few thousand students registered for this each year, through UNISA alone.

Hands down the most expensive course in the whole degree
November 19, 2008 07:13PM
I agree that making this module COMPULSORY is wrong. I think it is good for someone who has never used a PC before and all that is fine. Ripping people off though is not. I had done an equivalent course to CEM101 and tried to get a prereq. credit (not module credit) and they said no because I did it too long ago.

Yes, I have been using computers for more than 20 years, but now I need to go and learn to used microshit products to study software engineering and computer science. Nice. Somebody is probably getting a kickback somewhere.
November 19, 2008 09:21PM
I don't think it has any place in a BSC whatsoever.
Again I question the wisdom of allowing someone who has never even used a pc before in deciding they want to do a degree in computer science?
Maybe they could offer it as a pre degree introductory entrance certificate for people who have never used a pc before.(Before they get to decide they want to actually continue)

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
November 19, 2008 10:05PM
Welcome to the house of fun ...

I have seen this argument every year for the past six and no student ever wins. When I did this module I wrote three tests on one day and four tests on the next (after some convincing) and got 99%, what a joke and what a waste of money. IMO stop complaining and just do the tests and get it over with, when an organization is making money like they are off this module, nothing is gonna convince them to make this optional! smile
November 20, 2008 07:11AM
This is my 5th year, and I am basically registering for COS340a ( and any failed module(s) ) next year. Maybe cos351 as an additional module. But I won't go for CEM101. I may reevaluate this for the second semester.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Do not allow evil to triumph. Do not do sit by and do nothing. Be selective in who you let screw you - and where.

SRC! Have we a voice? Maybe bitchin' and moanin' days are over and it is now time to picket and riot?

Honestly if I do CEM101 it would be like getting screwed royally.
November 20, 2008 07:19AM
You are going to get screwed royally. Now bend over.yawning smiley

I am getting it over and done with next year.
November 20, 2008 08:23AM
If I had to do it over again I would probably try do openICDL instead and then claim RPL.

--
November 20, 2008 08:54AM
Thank goodness i completed cem101 already, that would have dented my pocket seriously...
Unisa is an expensive hobby that has to come to an end....soon...
November 20, 2008 08:56AM
I'm just as glad that I finished it long ago!!!
November 20, 2008 08:58AM
So, anyone have these materials cheap second hand?
November 20, 2008 09:12AM
I should still have the book somewhere???? I can have a look for you if you want? Not sure how the editions work but I think if they still exam on XP / 2003 then Office should still be Office LOL
November 20, 2008 09:31AM
I think UNISA *give* you the book against your will after you paid for it. So it's no use getting it somewhere else, But you more than welcome to have mine at half the price unisa sell it.
November 20, 2008 09:37AM
rdebruyn I think you are 100% correct. If I remember correctly you get the book as it is included in the price for the course.
November 20, 2008 09:42AM
That price includes your ICDL "passport" which they stamp for each exam you wrote, it includes all the study material, it used to include a booking to write each exam at least once (not sure if that is so). When I did the course, you did have the option to just register for the subject and do the whole ICDL course & exams at an ICDL center on your own cost. That was however more expensive than the Unisa option.
November 20, 2008 09:47AM
When I did it ages ago you had to pay individually for each exam booking.

--
November 20, 2008 09:54AM
you still have to pay R75 for each exam...
November 20, 2008 09:58AM
Sounds cheaper. I remember it being R150 per exam when I did it. Although my memory is shocking so I could be wrong, especially since I try to block terrible experiences such as this out.

--
Anonymous User
November 20, 2008 10:14AM
spitfire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So, anyone have these materials cheap second hand?

Rapidshare is free (and I dont have a guilty consience when I avoid being screwed)
Anonymous User
November 20, 2008 10:38AM
I am soooo glad that I had registered before that stupid CEM101 rule came into place smiling smiley
Anonymous User
November 20, 2008 10:42AM
I actually haven't given up in fighting this. I did speak to the call center last year and they basically told me to write directly to the head of SOC. I still havent done it yet though, I guess now would be a good time since time is running out sad smiley
November 21, 2008 09:23AM
I just completed mine.

- You get Access2007 from Unisa

- From next year XP is not given

- Your get the book from UNISA its included in your study fees

- Office2007 you can download the trial edition which is valid for 60days. You can get a trial licence key or you can enter in nothing as your cd key. You can even do this with somebody else's copy of Office2007 student

I wrote my exams at both UNISA and iTembi Labs (R75 / R85)

** But is damn expensive - like my A+ - and worth just as much - nuthing **

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
November 21, 2008 09:32AM
Wouldn't it be cheaper to do the ICDL "privately"?
surely they can't force you to take cem101 if you already have an icdl.
November 21, 2008 09:56AM
The only nice thing about CEM101 was that i could do it at my own pace not that i did need it however.You could get a fool registering for a degree in Comp Science and yet still in need of CEM101 ??? Anyway i agree with Malcom in the end !!
November 21, 2008 09:57AM
Forgot to mention that i did it in 2004 at a UNISA Learning centre @ R75 per exam ... i agree it was quite expensive back then and even more so now that i've heard what the prices are like now !!thumbs down
November 21, 2008 10:28PM
Kilhra Wrote:
> Wouldn't it be cheaper to do the ICDL "privately"?
>

No

You still need to register with ICDL (? R500+) and you need to still get your courseware book (? R300-R800). The basic exams (XP / Email-internet / Word ) are easy and you do not need much of a guide.

Excel, Powerpoint and Access, you need the correct study guide else you will continue to fail. Remember that you need to pay everytime you write (or fail).

Don't forget you still need Access and that is not trial. It is also not included in student edition. Licence cost > R2000 last time I checked.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
November 26, 2008 10:24PM
I did the certificate on my own a couple of years ago. I wrote at a local private school listed on their website. Actually it was a lot of fun being older and female at a boys private school. The teacher gave me tea while I worked!

However I have not yet tried to get the credit based on the certificate so perhaps they will demand money for doing nothing. Which I guess puts it in line with several other Unisa courses I've done (notably management).
December 13, 2008 03:03AM
visnaicker Wrote:
> They quote me R1010+R765 for CEM101 ( computing
> for Idiots ) . <snip>
> Why must I pay R1775 for CEM101 (with textbooks) ?
<snip>

They quote me R1010 + R465 for the 2009 year. Obviously Windows Xp pricing has been dropped, so it was previosly included despite MAC mentioning that he believed that they offered it for free.

> CEM101 sucks.
Still does, how many of us will need a lecturerer for this module? Or a textbook?

Still won't do it, maybe 2nd semester I will re-evaluate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login