Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problems with uploading?

Posted by TvD 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
TvD
Problems with uploading?
January 14, 2008 10:20AM
As an alternative to the instructions for uploading cas given in assignment 1 you can use the following steps as well (see assignment 2 for a detailed step by step description with pictures):

(1) Start your FTP program – as an alternative to WS_FTP another FTP client called FTP Explorer, is available in your CD download folder (unzip ftpexplorer.zip and run setup.exe). Configure FTP Explorer to access an FTP server with the URL osprey.unisa.ac.za and a login toby and password *****. Connect to the site.

NB: For the old students from 2007: The password has changed - send me an email with your surname and studentnumber to vdykt@icon.co.za and I will send you the new password

(2) NB: There is now only one set (not two) of student surname folder - this means that you must use the same folder for your personal.doc and your assignment2.htm. Once a connection is established you will notice there are a number of directories displayed – one of these will be the same as your surname – select the one that corresponds to your surname and enter it (double-click on it).

(3) You should now see a list of all the files in the directory – currently there will only be a single file in the directory called ‘index.html’, and possibly a single subdirectory called ‘images’.

(4) You can now UPLOAD (i.e. use the up-arrow on FTPExplorer) your ‘page1.htm’ and the graphics files that this page incorporates to your directory on the remote Website. Select your own files by browsing to the directory that contains them on your computer and then select them by single-clicking on them – you can select more than one file by holding down the control key whilst you click on the file. Use ‘OK’ after you have selected your file(s). FTPExplorer should show you the progress whilst it is uploading the file(s), and should then display a new directory listing that shows all the files that you have uploaded.

(5) Your files are now accessible to anyone with a browser and an Internet connection.
The URL that you should use is
htpp://osprey.unisa.ac.za/toby/yoursurname/filename.htm
Substitute "yoursurname" with your own surname (all lower-case and no spaces!), and "filename.htm" with whatever your file is called.

If you are connecting from work it is possible that your work firewall may prevent you from accessing ftp sites on port 21. Then you will have to ftp from a home computer.
Re: Problems with uploading?
January 29, 2008 06:42PM
I have managed to install the FTP client successfully but i don't see my surname in the directory.

Do i create my own folder or should i contact someone with regard to this?
TvD
January 31, 2008 04:38AM
hi
Leave you surname here and I will make a folder
TvD

Ok I see you have made a folder bhana yourself - that is fine

I have made folders for the 20 or so early new registrations

The students from last year who are doing the course over 12 months should leave their surnames here so that I can create new folders - contact me so that I can send you the new ftp password vdykt@icon.co.za
February 09, 2008 02:38PM
Hi i am unable to load the ftp explorer. its is quite different from the pdf piture shown in appendix 2008. then i have an error logging in. Please assist
TvD
February 10, 2008 07:40AM
David is the problem the password - did you get it working?
TvD
February 10, 2008 12:26PM
HI, still no luck, it says "Here comes the directory listing" and then connection closed.
TvD
February 11, 2008 06:00AM
ok that means it has connected but it then times out - give the directory listing at least one minute it is sometimes very slow - try to connect early in the morning when osprey is not busy - also try another ftp client such as ws-ftp (on your cd)

If you are connecting from work try to connect from someone's home computer - if it works there then a firewall at work may be blocking you

Also see the thread from previous years:
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?193,45316
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?10,31273,page=all
February 19, 2008 09:07PM
Hi, I just can not get it uploaded. I've loaded the FTP.exe on my computer. Running FTP, I can see the personal.doc file and when I drag and drop it, it says uploading and then after a while, operation time out. I don't see my surname.

Please help

Esmé
TvD
February 20, 2008 05:55AM
Esme what is your surname?
Did you try amother FTP program?
Problems with uploading?
March 11, 2008 09:11AM
Hi

I was unable to upload my assigment 1 to the server. My ftp application said the server was unavailable?

greetings
Marius101
TvD
March 12, 2008 05:48AM
Marius are you connecting from work?
Which FTP program are you using?
Did you check the things suggested in three posts above yours?
TvD
March 13, 2008 11:07PM
i uploaded successfully, but when i try to open using my browsers(IE, Navigator, Mozilla) while connected to the internet, none opens my pictures. Firstly, i had my pictures in one folder, but when it could not open, i dropped them in the same directory with my file and changed code, still it is not opening but when i open it on my local computer, it opens fine in all the browsers. what do i do now? Please help me.
TvD
March 14, 2008 07:28AM
hi
It is probably then because the filename has upper/lower case differences from the name used in your html file.
I do not know what is your surname - if you give it to me then I will have alook at your folder on osprey
TvD
March 14, 2008 05:37PM
Thanks,
My surname is aniemeke.
but all my filenames are in lower case.
I hope you see what the problem is.

thanks

udanma
March 15, 2008 06:08AM
Hi,
i have fixed the problem. i realized the file extensions were in upper case.
Thanks.

Udanma
March 23, 2008 10:52PM
Hi Im having Problems with Uploading the ftp Explorer im using my home pc every time i try to connect there is an error message saying Address not available connection failed
TvD
March 24, 2008 05:40AM
I just connected so it is not a problem with the osprey ftp server
Have you compared your settings in FTP Explorer with that given in assignment2?
Are you perhaps using a 3rd party firewall at home?
TvD
Re: Problems with uploading assignment 2?
April 24, 2008 10:35AM
Hi

I want top upload my assignment 2 but my ftp software says server unvailable.

greetings
Marius101
TvD
April 24, 2008 06:02PM
Are you connecting from work or from home?
If you are connecting from home do you have a firewall perhaps?
Have you tried connecting with FTP Explorer instead og WS_FTP?
If all else fails send it to me as an email attachment and I will upload it
TvD
April 24, 2008 07:27PM
HI Toby

Thanks. I was able to uplood it now.

greetings
Marius101
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login