Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Hardest 211 exam paper ever

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
The Hardest 211 exam paper ever
October 09, 2006 06:01PM
this paper was mind blowing!
who agrees?
Re: The Hardest 211 exam paper ever
October 09, 2006 06:03PM
Dam it was, felt like crying when i left.

Too long as well?
October 09, 2006 06:06PM
Jeeeeeesus Christ!!!!!

I think I would have cracked last years paper with 90% if I wrote it today.

Today's paper was in a total different league...

How can there be such a variation in standards????
October 09, 2006 06:08PM
Agree, it was extremely hard and not enough time.

This is WAY harder than last years exam.
October 09, 2006 06:10PM
True true, totally different format.

Think Unisa lecturers rate us too highly smiling smiley
October 09, 2006 06:12PM
The exam tutorial letter said that the questions would range from easy to difficult, this exam paper had only hard questions on it. Last years exam was reasonable and I thought I was well prepared...apparently not!! I think the lecturers wanted to get back at all the students who complained so much about the marking of the assignment winking smiley
October 09, 2006 06:12PM
I didn't have time to finish the sort or the graph diagrams at the end, only did the first part of each of them.

And how about the linked list question where you have to swop the two items around, that is just cruel. My brain is still spinning.
Anonymous User
October 09, 2006 06:13PM
its not a variation.. its a violation of standards!!
last year's paper is a baby compared to this...

October 09, 2006 06:17PM
My mind is mush and I have to write INF206 tomorrow sad smiley
October 09, 2006 06:20PM
So what happens in a situation where the majority of students fail, does Unisa up the pass rate

Or do we have to redo the course next year ????

confused smiley
October 09, 2006 06:22PM
I'm not sure what they do, but it would mean that either the study material is crap or the exam was too hard. Hopefully they'll have mercy!
October 09, 2006 07:20PM
No way guys, this year's paper was nothing compared to the 2004 exam. The 2004 actually used a radix sort example which you had to adapt, we didnt get anything near as bad.
I agree with the linked list comment - such a silly little exercise but I was surprised at how much time it took to get my head around that brain twister! And that for 5 marks...
October 09, 2006 07:25PM
Well, I agree with all the coments on this thread. Going into the exam I was gauging it based on last year's paper but compared with today, last year was a walk in the park, maybe even a joke. I really did well for the assignments for this module and understand everything but that paper was WAY too hectic, too long and the mark allocation was whacked. Sure that I did well enough for a pass but my mark will definitely not be a reflection of my abilities and I'm sure everyone feels the same. We should have been told it was going to be insane and I would've focused more on a subject I thought I had waxed.
Anonymous User
October 09, 2006 07:26PM
211 is pre-req for 311 & 34o.. confused smiley
im prayin 4 a sup..
October 09, 2006 08:22PM
i found the exam to be looong. and tough.
praying for a pass too cause i wanna do 311 and 340 next year
October 09, 2006 08:23PM
I would prefer not to see the previous year's paper if the standards going to deviate so much.

October 09, 2006 08:54PM
Lol lol lol .... What else can I say? That paper was hectic! I agree with stevenv.. I did pretty well for my assignments (85% average grinning smiley ) and I was quite confident lastnite after attempting last year's paper but today.... its a different story!!! I would really be suprised if anyone gave a fair attempt at all questions. Aaah well what a start to the exams- just hoping this isnt a taste of things to come. To sum up: paper sucked big time- i'll settle for a supp!!
October 09, 2006 09:02PM
Oh and btw: I wish the lecturers would refrain from asking for a diagram for each step in determining the shortest path. I mean wouldnt something like eg:. Shortest path=0-2-4-5 be sufficient and more concise instead of having to redraw the full diagram at each step just to show the broken line?? I would estimate it takes about 30mins for this question alone!
October 09, 2006 10:09PM
I agree, the paper was HECTIC. I averaged about 95% on the assignments and completed the 2005 exam in under 90min, and after reviewing my answers, I would have done well (the 2005 one). But for this exam I am just hoping for a pass, and TIME TIME TIME was a big issue. I didnt even answer 2 of the questions due to time .... but all honesty, I had a look at the 2004 paper, if I had to write that exam I surely would have failed .... that thing is just INSANE !!!!!
October 10, 2006 08:50AM
no one here says anything about the children(Type & value) thing. I still have no idea how you can call that function recursively when you're not passing the previous node.

i hate coding on a piece of paper. we all learned that coding is a iterative process (INF subjects). so how do you do iterative on a piece of paper?

the point: rather test us on the theory like last years paper, then asking us to write code on paper. if you want to do that, give us a computer to code on.

cheers
jk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login