Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is the book really neccisary?

Posted by spitfire 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Is the book really neccisary?
March 05, 2008 02:27PM
Assignment 1 looks quite basic. I already know delphi and how to use the helpfiles, do I really need to get the prescribed book?
Re: Is the book really neccisary?
March 05, 2008 09:35PM
I suppose it depends on how good you know Delphi and whether you are aiming for a distinction or not?

IMHO, if you already got the knowledge of every thing that is covered in the study material you can probably write the exam and pass.

The question is how would you know if you got all the knowledge, if you don't know what is in the book.

Personally I find most of the 1st year study material "entry level" cause I got 8 years experience already, but every know and again there is actually something new that I learn.

There is no need to buy the book new, I bought mine second hand for R200. If you learn 5 new things in the book, that is not covered by the assignments it's probably worth it.

PS. not everything is covered in the assignments, so if you do the assignments on your own research it doesn't mean you've covered all the work.
March 06, 2008 07:59AM
Agreed. If you can get the book do so - there's bound to be something to learn. On the other hand if you know Delphi thoroughly already you can do without the book. I did this subject last year without the book because I could not get it although I wanted it but using previous experience got a year mark of 96% and a final mark of 91%.

I did learn something new though. I have always used Delphi with the BDE and Quickreport for reports. The assignments required use of MySQL and Rave reports which I had to practice.
April 11, 2008 10:16AM
hi guys. i realy need help.

I'm still waiting for Tefsa to give me my card to buy textBooks and i can'tconfused smileyconfused smiley do any assignments.i live i benoni. can anyone share with me a textbook unitl i get mine.
April 19, 2008 04:28PM
I think this text book is one of the better ones - I plan to keep it since I think this is one application I could actually use in the real world. I wish I could say the same for some of the other COS modules.
August 11, 2009 11:15PM
Hi Dianne, are you still holding the book? would you mind letting for a period of 3 months? If yes then you can let me know on 072 777 1826. Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login