Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prac available

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Prac available
August 21, 2007 09:36AM
Prac is available for download. The due date is not 9 June as per the tut letter smiling smiley I will provide you with the date later...
Re: Prac available
August 21, 2007 12:50PM
By there way! What's the link to the downloads page.
August 21, 2007 01:20PM
http://@#$%&

I have emailed it to you as well though.
August 21, 2007 02:23PM
Thank Vicky! Got the Prac.
August 21, 2007 03:04PM
Thanks!
August 21, 2007 03:17PM
ummm, this looks really interesting!!! but i am not going to touch it until i am through the book smiling smiley
August 21, 2007 09:51PM
the pressure is just too much!!! why !!! why give it to us already!!! hot smiley

i feel like a kid on xmas night, know i have just a bit more to get through and then the excitement... awesome!!!
August 22, 2007 10:25AM
Project looks good. I will apply the project to register students in my department next semester. Have set up a website http://www.uniswa.sz/academic/science/maths
and will add a link to student registration. I'm so excited about this project because it is very relevant to the work that I do. Thanx Mac.

Why release project so early??? Guess I'm the one who was nagging for the project from Mac. So i'm guilty as charged. I had two weeks to spare in early August and I used that time to do nothing but PHP. As a result I happened to finish the Masterskill tasks early. Since I wanted to capitalize on the momentum I had gained, I had to ask for the project. So I apologize for putting pressure on people.

Cheerssmileys with beer
August 22, 2007 10:41AM
hey, no worries smiling smiley

i am just as excited!!! cant wait to get started. i also read in sem 1 that you need to put your UN and PW etc in an external file. this means that you are going to have to include this file anywahere where you are going to make database calls.

if you are including other files that also do database calls on the same page where you have included the UN/PW file, you shouldnt need to include it again. but if you feel you must, rather use include_once()

i do the same with my functions folder.

hope that can be of assistance to someone

Gilham
August 22, 2007 11:41AM
hi there

its off the topic but i need help guys..

two days ago i had to format my pc as it was giving me problems and i have been trying to reinstall the Apache2triad1.3 from teh cd that was provided from unisa
but it wobt install all i get is this message installer corrupted or incompelet this could be the result of a failed download or corruption from a virus if desperate,try the NCRC command line switch(NOT RECOMMENDED)
i have tried to installit to my pc at work it still gives this message i know i dont have a virus on my home computer as well and i dont know what to do can someone please lead me the right way,i am totally lost as it was working fine before.

thank you
August 22, 2007 11:54AM
hi derya, not really off topic, but i left an answer on your other post smiling smiley

hope you come right otherwise, let us know
August 22, 2007 12:00PM
thank you super G

i have replied to your answer,

does anyone have the practical if they coudl send it to me please at

deryaerkilinc@hotmail.com i will be very happy
August 22, 2007 03:01PM
Practial emailed to you. Check your hotmail.
August 22, 2007 04:29PM
thank you sandile i got it smiling smiley
August 23, 2007 11:10AM
Is it possible to include extra functionality on the project?smile
Like add extra features besides the ones that is required for
the project?

The Harder You Fall The Higher You Bounce
August 23, 2007 11:53AM
personally i dont see why not.

as long as you keep within the "idea" of the project.

from personal experience, i have learned that if your requirement is to write a system that will return hours logged per week and per month, then do just that.

Dont try and give more than what they asked for, eg a break down of their day hours aswell because then they start taking advantage and wanting more but arent willing to pay for the extra's.

i dont think this rule applies here but it is something to watch out for. also if something goes wrong, then they start with, i didnt ask for that etc...

Gilham smiling smiley
August 23, 2007 02:09PM
Put extra features will create marking problems for the instructors.

If instructors promise extra credit for adding extra complexity to the project then I'll consider putting login pages, lots of CSS, graphics, some javascript code, etc. But 4 now I'll just stick to the task at hand submit and get my certificate.
Mac
August 24, 2007 10:53AM
I mark only what the project requires. It must work as expected, and I want to see that you use as much as what you have learned from the exercises in the application. Therefore, if you don't make use of functions, you get marked down. And yes, the itnerface must be intuitive. I don't want to struggle finding my way round using the app - it must be intuitive and well thought out. In some sense, if you add extra and this helps the app working better, then you will get extra marks. I'm not talking about fancy stuff here.
August 29, 2007 09:42AM
Mac - 2 questions !!

1. In the description of proj it is stated that the system must have a function to maintain (add, delete or change) student table information. Is this equivalent to saying that the system must have "functionality" to maintain or we must specifically create a function (using the function keyword) for the purpose of maintaining. I implemented the "maintenance" procedure using a combinations of "ifs", "elses","whiles", etc and the mysql_blah_blah functions.

2. It is also stated that all pages should link back to the administration page named - admin.php. All the my forms have a navigation menu on the left with the following links
Home
Register Students
Manage Courses
Manage Students
View registrations

where the "Home" page is the admin.php page which acts like the usual (index.php). Users of my system can simply click on the "home" link if the want to go back to admin page. Otherwise for other tasks they click on the other links. Hope this is OK.
Mac
August 29, 2007 10:40AM
Thing is this, whatever I add and must be able to edit or delete. How you do it is up to you. And on any page I find myself, I must be able to go to any other page using the menu system.
August 29, 2007 12:13PM
Mac, One more question !!

On the last page of the prac in the Detailed Table Attributes. In the extra info given for course_student tabel it is stated that year of registration is Primary key. If all students register in 2007 - does that mean they'll have the same Primary key?
Mac
August 30, 2007 11:39AM
Don't have it in front of me now, but I i remember correctly, you will something like this in the course_student table:

sno cid year
2 3 2007

2 is the primary key as in the student table, identifying which student it is.
3 is the primary key as in the course table, identifying which course it is.
Year is 2007 - cannot be a primary key (if it says that it's an error). No primary key is required in this table, since the combination of a student, a course and a year (sno, cid and year) is distinct. Student A, course B, year 2007 cannot be in twice, meaning registered twice for the same course in the same year.... but you can have Student A, course C, year 2007.

Speaking under correction - will have a look tomorrow when I'm in office..
September 05, 2007 09:36AM
Hi Mac!

Project 99.9% complete.

Some final questions before submitting.

1. Will you require a detailed description of each of the 20 odd (say) files that were used in the project, say in a seperate text file. Or you just need to see a functioning application.
2. Should we submit with the populated tables or you'll do the "populating" yourself in testing the functionality of the.
3. In the case of the fields for student info. is it neccessary to validate the length and form of the following fields idno, cel, telw,faxno (with associated codes).
4. Hope I'm right here!!!. Students register for only 1 course and when updating their information you don't update the course_student page because they are not changing courses they are just updating their personal information. E.g a student who has had a sex change may want to change his/her gender and one who has gotten married may wish to change surname.
September 05, 2007 10:24AM
Forgot to ask what happens if we delete a course for which a particular student has registered? Should we delete the student as well?

Thassit!!
Mac
September 05, 2007 05:24PM
1. I'll peruse your code and make my own mind up smiling smiley
2. I'll populate your database - which is my database when I use your app.
3. Optional - no extra marks but hey, show me what you can do. It adds to the experience...
4. Correct. That is why personal details are separate from course registration. Should a student register for more than one course, one only needs to update one table....
5. No. It's historic information. I want to know for which courses a student registered, regardless if the course is offered or not.
September 07, 2007 09:29AM
Project Canned -> Zipped -> Emailed
Fingers Crossed!

Very much enjoyed the course and will recommend it to my friends.

Those of you who may need a partner in working on a php-webdesign project in future don't hesitate to holla at me @ sandilemotsa@gmail.com

Over-n-out to smileys with beer.
September 12, 2007 07:24AM
sandile
your the man...
September 12, 2007 09:43AM
awesome sundile! now i need to catch up smiling smiley

found my book in a box lastnight so its all good from here!

just one question, have you added validation to your code?
September 12, 2007 11:36AM
I added the following validations!
Phone numbers, cellnumbers, ids nos, etc - all numeric.
students > 5years old and <120 years old. Also checked that fields were not empty. Can't recall whatelse but I was using the KISS aproach.
K.I.S.S. --> Keep It Simple Stupid.
What I learnt from the PHP experience is that there are always options to write code in a smarter and more elegant way. At the end of the day it is advisable to use the simple code that does the job not try to prove how smart you're.
September 12, 2007 01:24PM
so true, i know you try and write as little code as possible whereby having less to maintain but also remembering that if some one else needs to edit your code, it must not be too complex.

now that the moving is over, i can start focusing on my studies again.

just want to crack the last part of chap 6 and then i am on it! hope you did lots of user testing.

are we allowed to use smarty as our templating structure? i have started playing around with it and it looks quite insane (interesting/awesome) smiling bouncing smiley

Gilham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login