Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone working with HR Information Systems

Posted by Niri 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Re: Anyone working with HR Information Systems
January 04, 2008 04:30PM
True I feel almost the same. .Net is the only "technology" that is really going to keep microflop alive. Read this. Read the top paragraph. How can you put down a programming language like that?!

Although .Net may not necessarily lock you down to a Windows environment. Since the linux community are developing projects like mono, who knows what the future may hold.
Anonymous User
Re: Anyone working with HR Information Systems
January 04, 2008 04:34PM
I use .NET, I dont do desktop apps, I dont do RAD, most of the stuff I do doesnt even have a UI. I've successfully deployed .NET apps on non-windows platforms (RedHat Linux to be exact).

Pardon the little interjection, I'll let you guys continue
January 04, 2008 04:36PM
Not at all Bini, you're experienced and so I'm sure you know what you're talking about smile
January 04, 2008 10:15PM
niri wrote:
> i'm a bit out of my comfort zone
Great, that's the best (only) place to be.

I'd like to think that I know quite a bit of the .Net stuff. But I've recently been looking at some of the code that one of our UK guys has written for an internal app - and geez, I've still got some way to go.

There is quite a big demand for .Net developers in the market. But it is my understanding (or opinion) that most of these positions seem to be for database monkeys and small web applications. Obviously this is a gross exaggeration.
Taking note of the shortage of experienced C/C++ programmers, you'd almost think that they would be the highest paid??

The only problem with .Net is the rate at which it is developing. Most of us are still coming to grips with 2005, and they are already punting 2008, with this huge buzz about LinQ. (I haven't had the time or inclination to even read up what LinQ is about, yet).
The development game is so big, that you could become an expert in a small area, never get to touch some of the newer technologies and still earn decent money.
January 05, 2008 04:02PM
(3rd attempt - IE bombed on me 2 times when I post).
I started on mainframe Cobol, then moved over to VB3.0 and ended up with VB.Net. Inbetween I did some Delhpi, C#.Net and C++ (compliments of Unisa). Now I'm working in Progress (4GL) on an ERP system - very easy "language" to learn. But I prefer it at this stage - Unisa is keeping my mind busy enough.
I think the reason why the MS dot Net Solution package is so popular, is because MS has blinded most ignorant business managers into believing that it would be the best solution to their software problems.
I belief your ability to adapt to a new environment, to learn and be productive as soon as possible, is the best way to succeed in a new job.
Good luck to both Niri and Shauntir!
Anonymous User
January 06, 2008 02:10AM
Reanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the reason why the MS dot Net Solution
> package is so popular, is because MS has blinded
> most ignorant business managers into believing
> that it would be the best solution to their
> software problems.

LOL, I dont think business managers are as naive and gullible as you think. If you guys really want to understand the dynamics of the IT industry from the business point of view, I strongly recommend that you read Inside the tornado. I'm sure you'll find it fascinating and it will definately shed some light on why the likes of Microsoft continue to dominate the market.
January 07, 2008 08:38AM
the only reason m$ is still in business is because it belongs to the devil
January 07, 2008 08:44AM
I read the excerpt bini. Very interesting from what I read. If you have some time, please could you give us a review of that book?

@Andre, would you like me to email you some ebooks I have? One of them has some stuff on LinQ I think. It covers the .Net 3.0 framework.

@Reanie, thats some very nice progression in career you have there.

smile
January 07, 2008 03:52PM
Shauntir Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I agree. Most BAs or PMs or INF analysts have more
> business qualifications. There's lots of money to
> be made in your new line of work. As soon as you
> hear things like sql and crystal reports and .Net
> - the dough starts coming in grinning smiley

careful careful, some INF people are better programmers and architects than cos hons smiling smiley

Dont generalise....
January 07, 2008 03:55PM
January 07, 2008 08:27PM
Who? Sounds like an old wive's tale.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
January 07, 2008 11:08PM
I'm definately working towards that distinction!!! With my VB.Net experience and all! smile
January 08, 2008 03:36AM
Thanks Shaun, that'll be good.
January 08, 2008 08:01AM
Andre, could you please give me your email address so I can email it to you? smile
Its hidden on your profile.
January 14, 2008 05:43PM
abelcher at mitek dot co dot ca.
January 15, 2008 08:14AM
Andre is it abelcher at mitek dot co dot ca or abelcher at mitek dot co dot za?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login