Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone working with HR Information Systems

Posted by Niri 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anyone working with HR Information Systems
January 04, 2008 01:32PM
Hey Guys

I just started a new job on the 2nd of Jan,and i'm not involved with Information Systems for the HR departments. I come from a Computer Science background as a Systems Administrator, and I am finding the Information Systems side a bit frightening.....I've still got my books from my INF modules that might help and this year i'm doing Software Project Management which should help tons...

It's so scary to be the one who doesn't know it all(worked in my last position for MANY years)...but i embrace the change and figure it will make me a well rounded person in the end...

Can anyone recommend any other books, that might start me off smaller and give me a bigger picture of things... smile Like "Information Systems for Dummies" smile
Re: Anyone working with HR Information Systems
January 04, 2008 01:36PM
never read "<something> for dummies" or "idiots guide to <whatever>". ever
avatar Re: Anyone working with HR Information Systems
January 04, 2008 01:36PM
Umm, Yes... Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carrol.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
January 04, 2008 01:42PM
smile LOL

How many of you are Business Analysts / Analysts?
January 04, 2008 01:44PM
Talk to Riaan Klopper...
January 04, 2008 01:47PM
Thanks Reanie...my work email address has changed but i'll go through the Forum and find his email address again....
January 04, 2008 02:19PM
Hey Niri,
Congrats on the new position. Hope it goes well for you. Well yes Riaan is BA and he's probably very good seeing as he has a huge salary smile
You could read a few books on informations systems design and database design. The modules you're doing this year should help you.
January 04, 2008 02:36PM
HI Shaun

THanks alot....it's a huge change for me but i'm not going to quit and i'm going to make it work no matter what...i also believe everything happens for a reason and i cannot believe that the modules i'm doing this year actually will help me in my new job...i think that's awesome. Now i will actually pay more attention when i'm studying smile
On that note, i've been seriously considering changing and doing my Honors in Information Systems since that's the job i'm in...i hope in a years time i'll really love it smile

You take care, and i've read a few posts about your new position...don't stress, work hard like i know you do,and good things will come to you!!

Niri
Anonymous User
January 04, 2008 02:47PM
me thinks Riaan is the only BA.. or the only one who wants to admit it....

what does your new job actually entail? plus... I find that you can usually just give PM's a whole bunch of waffle - they will belive what you say. the only people you really need to convince are the poor developers who will have to develop your "ideas"
January 04, 2008 02:50PM
Thanks for the encouragement Niri. I too was thinking about doing my honours in INF recently. However, I still think the COS honours is way more exciting and much more rewarding. If I ever want to become a BA, PM, or management, I'll do an MBA after my honours. Lets face it, developers are never paid as well as the "business" type people.
January 04, 2008 02:51PM
Celene, to tell you the truth i'm still not 100% sure what my job is smile
The reason i say this is most people here are on leave...and will only be back next week. But i'm in the Information Systems department that deals with the HR systems, and i think what i'll be involved with is project management rolling out these products to other mining regions, and then to work with crystal reports and sql scripting tools to tweak and maintain the existing software...but i've heard a few things mentions like SDLC and project management so far....

I come from a broadcasting background, so i have NO CLUE what HR people do...let alone help develop systems for them! smile But it's only my third day and thank God it's Friday!
January 04, 2008 02:54PM
Shaun, that's exactly what i think that COS honors is more exciting, but in my new environment everyone is studying management and bcom stuff and Computer Science doesn't seem to fit in...i think i'll keep my options open and do some management courses together with my honors if they need me to...
Anonymous User
January 04, 2008 02:55PM
From my 11 years of working experience - HR people don't do anything, so you should be fine winking smiley

Other than that I know there is the whole report generating side, content management systems. MIS and DSS kind of systems?
January 04, 2008 02:57PM
smile Celene, i can't help but sit here and think down at the people who work here...i have thought that about HR people for years! smile Especially when they have computer problems and you see how clueless they really are!
LOL
January 04, 2008 02:58PM
I agree. Most BAs or PMs or INF analysts have more business qualifications. There's lots of money to be made in your new line of work. As soon as you hear things like sql and crystal reports and .Net - the dough starts coming in grinning smiley
January 04, 2008 03:02PM
grinning smiley That's great news Shaun...i also think this type of field is one that you can earn some good money...i'm a bit out of my comfort zone but in time it will become second nature to me...what do you do exactly where you work?
January 04, 2008 03:08PM
I'm a web developer. I develop all the stuff that makes the website more dynamic and interactive. I have to do most of my work in php but I am learning Ruby on Rails at the moment. We hardly do any designing for the solution - I will try to help and sort that out.
I may sound like I'm a "user" or something, but I want to get into the whole .Net - its got the most jobs and very high pay.
January 04, 2008 03:12PM
That sounds interesting as well...so many people do so many different things...are you going to do any .Net courses or get certified? I also saw on careerjunction so many positions for .net developers....
January 04, 2008 03:18PM
No I don't have enough time and money to get certified at the moment. I want to learn C#.Net after the middle of this year on my own when I finish the bulk of my modules. I did do a little bit of C# last year because I thought it would be good.
The number of positions for .Net (esp C#) is ridiculous. On every job site there is way more positions for .Net compared to any other developer. You could even add up all the other positions and it still wouldn't be more than .Net.
January 04, 2008 03:22PM
That is so true...i will look through mcse and ccna information i have to see if i have any .net material...maybe u can do it self study, and then just write the exam yourself...much cheaper and maybe when all the assignments are done for the year. i notice on these cv careerjunction type websites, as soon as you update your skills profiles when you pass something, people start calling offering you positions...but not all necessary good smile

I'll check and let you know...
January 04, 2008 03:26PM
Thanks, much appreciated smile
I got some ebooks at home on c# as well. If you want I could email them to you as well. Will look for any other stuff that may help you with your job.
January 04, 2008 03:29PM
Cool,Thanks, and enjoy the weekend...!
January 04, 2008 03:30PM
You too smileys with beer
January 04, 2008 03:40PM
.net is not the best paid... geez... its a little language used on desktops.

And most of the highly paid jobs are NOT advertised. They get given to employment agencies that go through their files and do head hunting.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
January 04, 2008 03:44PM
.Net is not a language - C# is. As for being the best paid - if its not so then the .Net developers are getting paid a ton smile
January 04, 2008 03:49PM
ok... its a little framework that is used on desktops.

How much is "a ton"?

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
January 04, 2008 03:53PM
Well I saw junior dev positions paying +-R15000 to R25000. Then .Net developer/analysts being paid R40000 to R50000. Thats "a ton" in terms of salary in my book. Look at careeerjunction or pnet .Net positions and compare it to others.
January 04, 2008 03:57PM
R40000-R50000 is a lot, I agree.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
January 04, 2008 04:14PM
I am also considering learning the .NET framework I got Bob Tabor's free videos Visual C# 2005 and Visual Webdeveloper 2005 using C#. The webdeveloper beginners videos cover making a quiz engine that links to a database that keeps both users details of past tests aswell as differnt multiple choice questions papers you can change or update through a web interface. I am just deciding which subscription to take on www.learnvisualstudio.net.
January 04, 2008 04:24PM
Im glad to not have to use .net anymore. Its locks you into Windows desktop RAD. I think it limits your future.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login