Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

2008 registration

Posted by stevenv 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
2008 registration
December 18, 2007 05:06PM
I nearly lost it this afternoon when, after waiting in the registration queue for two hours, I was told that the "systems are down across the country" and that my registration could not be processed. I have decided now that web registration is the option to take as I will not put myself through that again. Have any of you used the web registration method? I've gone through the registration process and am faced with having to enter credit card details into a non-secure web page. Have any of you gone through this and if so, have you then paid via credit card on myUNISA (which is secure as opposed to through the registration wizard) and still had a successful registration?
Re: 2008 registration
December 18, 2007 07:37PM
I registered on Tuesday through myUnisa using my credit card for payment. The registration and payment had gone through by Friday and I got an sms to say my tut letters would be posted off on Tuesday (today) with the parcel tracking number and the post office it would be sent to.
I've registered at the branch every other year except this year for next year and I highly recommend registering online. Its quick (provided you register early) and much more convenient.
Anonymous User
December 18, 2007 08:00PM
Yes, I also registered online. I used the secure myUnisa web page (I will NOT use an unsecured web page for my fin data!). I entered the credit card details and my registration payment was confirmed by email 2 days later. It seems to me that the reg and payment process run through 2 different systems. The emails were also from 2 different senders. I have confirmed through myUnisa that I'm registered smiling smiley

Since I can download all my tut letters, I now never have to put up with that nasty process of registering in person. yay!
December 18, 2007 08:27PM
I registered for Honours through the web.
They have confirmed receipt of the money.
But I am still not registered and when I look at my financial details it says I am R3000 in credit. sad smiley

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anonymous User
December 18, 2007 08:47PM
perhaps it has something to do with having your degree being ratified by that council, before they'll let you register for honours.
Anonymous User
December 19, 2007 08:33AM
i have only ever registered on-line - well, except for in the 90's when I still posted everything through via snail mail. I have never had a problem with the web reg
December 19, 2007 09:50AM
I have phoned them twice. Last week and this week. They say its "in progress" according to their system and I must just be patient.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
December 20, 2007 07:31PM
My online registration went through this afternoon.
December 20, 2007 08:22PM
I registered the Saturday before our final results was out. I knew that the electronic payment and the Unisa admin staff would result in everything only being processed by the earliest on the Wednesday. By Thursday morning, my registration was through and the next Saturday I got my package in the post.
Very efficient - if you know how to play their game! smile
December 20, 2007 08:33PM
I registered last Tuesday and the payment went through on Thursday. I received my tut letters today, I was told they'd be posted on Monday, 17th.
December 20, 2007 10:23PM
angry smiley

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
December 21, 2007 07:29AM
I registered on the day the results came out at the FLORIDA campus in JHB, if i didn't have such an issue with the Science faculty when i filled the form in BLUE PEN, i would have been done within 45 min including collecting my material. I find that that campus is pretty quiet if you register before they close for Christmas, i dare not register in Jan !!
Anonymous User
December 21, 2007 10:40AM
i think its because you are undergrad trying to register for a postgrad - they still have to verify that you actually passed. also, remember that the postgrad degree start of year is only april....
December 21, 2007 10:47AM
That is also what they told me, apparently a few people have to manually go through your entire academic record, and confirm (legally) that you do have your degree...

It is a big thing, mistakes are not an option, so obviously they have a process around it...not like just exam results...
December 21, 2007 10:56AM
Dear Ilan

I understand the frustration as a result of the non-processing of your Honours registration, there is only one reason for the delay which is not really from your side but from our side. Since you wrote your final modules in Oct/ Nov 2007, our system does not automatically update your records to indicate you have completed your degree.

A manual verification process has to follow to verify every single detail to ensure nothing has been missed regarding your degree, e.g. whether your degree is Cum laude or distinction etc, our system does not have such functionality to pick this minor details and it have to be done by hand. As a result the system treat your degree as incomplete, when ever we try to register you for honours it will not go through since it will require a bachelors degree as an admission requirement.

This verification process is normally completed by end January. I copied this e-mail to relevant people who deals with this verifications and hopefully they will respond promptly to the urgency you are treating this registration and the circumstances surrounding this urgency.

I understand is frustrating but it has to be done.

I trust you will find the above in order.

Regards

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
December 21, 2007 11:03AM
weird - I never had that problem when I registered for honours. they just registered me and sent me my stuff?
December 21, 2007 11:07AM
I don't think you ever panicked about it though.
Anonymous User
December 21, 2007 11:08AM
I think the problem was that you did *too* well.. so now they have to make sure you really passed so well. I f you had got avearge marks like I did, they think *she couldn't have cheated, she only did so-so*
December 21, 2007 11:11AM
Celene, you already had another post grad qualification right? So you already fulfilled the requirements and wasnt subject to the same process?
Anonymous User
December 21, 2007 11:11AM
I did... but back then there was no-one on the social forum to listen to me panic about it.
Anonymous User
December 21, 2007 11:13AM
@ Riaan - yeah, I had another undergrad degree but I still needed specific subjects from unisa. Maybe they just picked my subjects up automatically? I honestly think I had more hassles with my second year of honours reguistration...

@Ilan - I can let you have a list of this years textbooks for some of the subjects you want to do. I doubt the AI textbook will chnage. Or you can just change your registered modules on osprey to what you want to do next year and download this years tut letters etc?
December 21, 2007 11:14AM
I had normal marks, and it was also the same thing.....it is a huge process for them to make doubly sure that you indeed have enough credits, and not only one person's point of view, so if exam results are out in mid december, what are the chances that a few days later you would have been through that process, not realistic....especially if you consider the amount of undergrad students...
December 21, 2007 11:17AM
Ilan ,go to this post and download the 2008 postgrad brochure. Then look at section 8 for the listing of modules with their prescribed text books for 2008 smile
December 21, 2007 11:17AM
celene, you see, thats exactly that.....you by passed the process to confirm a unisa degree, as you already had the requirements for a honours, a bachelors degree. The specific subjects become a consideration for the department where you register for the honours, not the people confirming if you have a degree smiling smiley
December 21, 2007 11:18AM
Also, download the 2007 tut letters from Osprey if you want to get a head start.
December 21, 2007 11:21AM
I have got hold of some of 2008 tutorial letters.

And I have not been panicking; I have been proactive so I can manage my time.

Tracey you are an idiot.

PS: I have ordered myself the entire Knuth series (Vol 1, Vol 2 and Vol 3 plus the facsimile for Vol 1) as compensation for my frustrations.
(At the end of 1999, these books were named among the best twelve physical-science monographs of the century by American Scientist, along with: Dirac on quantum mechanics, Einstein on relativity, Mandelbrot on fractals, Pauling on the chemical bond, Russell and Whitehead on foundations of mathematics, von Neumann and Morgenstern on game theory, Wiener on cybernetics, Woodward and Hoffmann on orbital symmetry, Feynman on quantum electrodynamics, Smith on the search for structure, and Einstein's collected papers.)

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
December 21, 2007 11:23AM
aaah, I see smiling smiley so, please ignore all my comments about how my stuff worked early winking smiley
December 21, 2007 11:24AM
You call posting angry faces being proactive?

You're an egotistical bastard.
December 21, 2007 11:25AM
But take christmas off! You will miss the sleep in a few months!
December 21, 2007 11:28AM
wow tracey, thats the christmas spirit! Time for love and forgiveness, and egotistical bastards...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login