Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

how was the exam

Posted by jkoorts 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
how was the exam
November 01, 2007 11:38AM
finished in 2 hours. i would have finished earlier, but was too busy writing essays to each question telling the moderator what i thought of this paper.

1. its EMPLOYEE and not EMPLOYE
2. its full_name (in italics) not full name
3. its first_name (in italics) or last_name (in italics) and not just "name"
4. where is the column names for the names table and the other one?
5. 5 point question to change carotts to brocolli?
Anonymous User
Re: how was the exam
November 01, 2007 12:11PM
Yeah I finished in 1 hour 20 mins. Twas pleasantly easy
November 01, 2007 12:19PM
Also found the exam very straightforward, finished in 2 hours but only after going over everything a few times. I must agree that the qualtity leaves much to be desired, had to make a few assumptions from the way questions were asked. I also noticed the quality of some questions in the assignment and practice exam were also quite low with obvious mistakes. Some of the mark assignments in the exam were also a little bit skewed.
November 01, 2007 12:38PM
Yes it was a nice easy paper. Now if only all other modules were this easy winking smiley
November 01, 2007 02:57PM
I also thought it was quite easy, especially since I only started preparing for this exam yesterday.

I agree that the quality in the assignments and exam was quite shoddy.
Anonymous User
November 01, 2007 04:20PM
I must say that right from the first day of reading through INF307 material, I developed a view that this deserves to be offered at first year level. The material is quite elementary for a third year student. In my view, UNISA as a whole is lacking in quality. Whoever are in charge of this institution need to be reshuffled. Everything at UNISA, lately, is full of mistakes. I wonder whoever ensures quality. And also left surprised of what universities our lecturers should have attended that they do not follow up on the materials they despatch. If it is secretaries who make mistakes, they need to be retrained.

I love UNISA so much. I would like to remain proud of UNISA and see it being one of number one choice universities on african continent. So quality should be handled as first priority.
November 01, 2007 05:42PM
Exam was ridiculously easy.

Who got the prime number thing. Never in my wildest dreams whould I have thought that they would ask something like that. It has absolutely zero to do with your understanding of SQL.
November 01, 2007 07:15PM
I agree with the ambiguity in questions table references.

Although, all in all; not too bad.

I was relatively clueless to the prime number question, did any one get it?
November 01, 2007 08:49PM
My guess was getting a cross-product of the table with itself and then performing a modulo on each number above 10 in the one against each number less than it in the other and if the result was zero, it isn't prime ... probably wrong but hopefully get "attempt marks" tongue sticking out smiley
November 01, 2007 10:57PM
for the question with a name I assumed a full name since the first or last name was not specified (most likely an incorrect assumption). As for the prime numbers a wild stab in the dark with this query, I have not tried it so not sure if it actually works..

select number
from numbers
where number between 10 and 100
and number mod 2 <> 0
and number mod 3 <> 0
and number mod 5 <> 0
and number mod 7 <> 0
and number mod 11 <> 0;
November 03, 2007 11:21AM
This works for finding prime numbers between 10 and 99:

Select a.Number from
Numbers a inner join Numbers b
on a.Number % b.Number = 0
where a.Number > 0 and b.Number > 0
group by a.Number
having count(a.Number) = 2 and a.Number>10
November 03, 2007 11:29AM
Yeah I did the same as Howie except without the clause "and number mod 11 <> 0;"
as it isn't really necessary.
November 03, 2007 01:44PM
Nice...

The 'mod' squad; I didn't think to use the mod, I really like the simplicity of Howies Statement, it seems so simple from here...
November 03, 2007 11:44PM
in fact inclusion of the clause "and number mod 11 <> 0;" won't return the prime number 11.
November 05, 2007 03:17PM
Yeah the prime number query was somewhere in the examples given (old papers, i believe)

I agree with all that this module has been a dissapointment from scratch. I believe not any time has been spent by the lecturers on this one. Spelling in the tutorial info, example exam paper and actual exam paper.

I feel this is a lack of respect for us as students. The least that can be expected is someone to check the paper for errors.

Come on lecturers, we are studying at a world class university. The paperwork required from you during a year is

1 tutorial letter with questions for 3 assignments,
3 answers to the tutorials,
1 exam tutorial letter and
1 exam paper.

That is 6 documents for a year's work, the other modules succeed in getting quality work to us, you should too.

I am Very unhappy about quality of this module.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login