Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 3 Queries

Posted by Gazza 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 3 Queries
May 09, 2007 09:36AM
I just noticed that in Assignment 3 the second query says "Which patient was admitted on 2 December 2005 and what treatment did they receive".

There is no patient admitted on that day - there is however an admission date of 2005/02/12 in the patient table (IE the 12th of February 2005).

Do you think we should write the query the way it is asked and provide no results or change it so that it will at least show a result ?

I'm starting to get sick of the badly worded questions in the assignments for this module. In all three assignments there have been ambiguities, vague questions and "mystery" queries that produce no results. Perhaps the people who organise this module should get the assignment questions re-written and proof read by someone who can speak English properly...
Re: Assignment 3 Queries
May 09, 2007 10:05PM
I totally agree with you. A number of the questions in the 2nd assignment were very badly worded and so is the one that you've mentioned. Perhaps in this question they interpreted 2005/02/12 as 2 December 2005 instead of 12 February 2005. Let's hope there are no questions like this in the exam.
May 31, 2007 12:07PM
What is the EDIT button used for on the forms. Should the fields be locked and unlocked when you click the Edit button. Because by default you can edit values of the fields. confused smiley
May 31, 2007 12:59PM
All you've gotta do is submit screenshots of the forms so just make them look as they do in the assignment question ...
May 31, 2007 01:28PM
BWhahahahahaha, isn't that Cheating. smiling bouncing smiley
May 31, 2007 02:05PM
Hello.

Lol, some say cheating, some say work around...

I'm thinking the edit button is too show you know how, and >* edit function navigation at the bottom of the form is default.

Do we have to lock and unlock the edit values?
May 31, 2007 02:11PM
With so many other assignments due, I'm thinking of the work around. smile
May 31, 2007 02:30PM
I know, and exam season too...
June 12, 2007 09:51PM
Okay, someone's got help me out here. I am busy with Assignment 3, and have completed the Feb & March tasks, and all went well.
Now I am starting the April task which is to create the 2 SQL queries. I have never worked with SQL nor MS Access and I am only on chptr 5 of the textbook, so havn't a clue how to start writing these queries! If they were straight-forward "Select From Where" queries that only call data from 1 Table, that I could manage. But how on earth do you write a query where you have to first get data from 1 Table, then use that data to get data from another Table, and so on and so on..?
Anybody that can give me some advice how to get going...? Much appreciated, Mish confused smiley
June 12, 2007 10:06PM
Sorry, might be a silly question but if you're unable to write SQL, how did you complete assignment 2?
June 13, 2007 10:56AM
I did not complete assignment 2.

Where in the textbook do they show you how to write queries such as the queries which we need to write for this question in Assignment 3?

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!

Thanks
M
June 15, 2007 09:59PM
Quick tutorial

select col1, -- 1st column you wish to receive
col2 -- 2nd column you wish to receive
from table_name -- name of table you selecting the columns from
where (col1 = some_value) -- for Query1 I used a sub query here, see below
group by col1, -- group the rows of the table first by col1
col2 -- then col2
order by col1, -- order of the result
col2;

The where clause may include a sub query like:
where col1 = (select table_2_col1 -- Col1 & table_2_col1 must be of the same type
from table_2
where table_2_col1 = value; )

You don't really need to read every page of the book. Just look at the code in each chapter
as it is quiet self-explanatory. For these queries Chapter 11 and 16 would help.

If anyone wishes to make some use for the "Edit Data" button then simply change the property
"AllowEdits" to No/False. Then for the button create an EventProcedure to change the property
to True. But I don't think anyone's gonna do this smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login