Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

exam postmortem

Posted by ExtraLarge 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
October 12, 2007 10:34PM
the exam felt like a kick in the nutz...unexpected and painful! especialy the long questions, it was just one definition after another...im praying for a supplemantary exam... :\

XL
Re: exam postmortem
October 13, 2007 10:59AM
I studied really hard and think I had a good understanding of the work, but I didn't study the definitions parrot-style. I just hope my definitions based on my own understanding are close enough to what the examiner is looking for!
Sjoe, I'm just glad this one is behind me.
Did any of you know what that Booch guy said about problem-solving? Guess you'd have to be a major geek to know that one! smile
October 13, 2007 12:21PM
I enjoyed the exam and didn't feel it too hard. I didn't study as hard as I could, but I still feel that the exam was reasonabble.

The book they said Booch talked aobut the problem solving was "how to solve it right? or am I remembering wrong?

BECAUSE...its NOT Booch who wrote it! its George Polya
I quote from the textbook: "In his classic book, How to solve it, written before modern computers existed, George Polya outlined the essence of problem solving and consequently the essence of software engineering practice"
October 13, 2007 12:56PM
Hi,

the questions are:

Are we building the software right?
Are we building the right software?

I agree with Kilhra,but used my own wording to answer questions, but am perplexed as to the include-section-on-metrics-in-last-minute/omit-this-section-from-the-exam principle????

Could somebody elaborate on this?
October 14, 2007 01:59PM
That was a black out for me, I could not remember it, but remembered the concept!
And if they mark my paper like they do spell check, I would appreciate it.
October 14, 2007 03:33PM
I couldn't remember the exact theory but I could remember the concepts behind them. The paper was okay if you remembered everything straight out of the book, which I couldn't.
Anonymous User
October 15, 2007 11:17AM
Dear students,

The lecturers took note of all your comments. In marking the papers, we will most definitely look for concepts and not parrot repetitions of the definitions.

Good luck with the preparation for your other papers.

The INF305F/SED401/SWE401 team
October 15, 2007 01:14PM
Ah, the Booch guys said: “Abstraction is one of the fundamental ways that we as humans cope with complexity.�

Too bad, I think my guess was 'refinement' - since the 'divide-and-conquer' method is such a classic when you work on a complex problem. Anyways, Booch went for 'abstraction'.

Thanks to the lecturers for all the support during this module! I've never before had a subject in which there was a dedicated 8 till 8 helpline! It was so nice to get answers to some niggling module-related questions. I even called the day before the exam and got a nice, clear answer to my question!
Anonymous User
October 19, 2007 08:33AM
Yeah the exam wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. But I also used my own words in many of the questions cause I dont have enough memory for a verbatim regurgitation of the Pressman book ( we relegate such things to computers) smiling smiley
October 19, 2007 12:33PM
LOL Bini: I hear you, I think there were very few who did spit it out verbatim, most likely just the parrots and savants.

The exam was deceptively simple and challenging.

It wasn't what I was expecting, but I was still pleasantly relieved when I first saw the script, now I just hope I feel the same way when the results come out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login