Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 3 Q5

Posted by vionectro 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 3 Q5
June 06, 2006 12:20AM
I'm currently busy with assignment 3. In question 5 what should one use for your inputs. The types of saws used or the trees chopped.

If I use the trees chopped there are quite a few values that are imposible because of the nature that some trees may be chopped by more than one saw. I could use the saws as inputs also but it causes the truth table to expand massively.

So I guess my question is, should I use the trees as ABCD or should I use saws 1-4 as ABCD.

Cheers,
Vio
Re: Assignment 3 Q5
June 07, 2006 08:40AM
Use the trees as your input. As Team Brown has Saws 2 and 3, it can saw down trees Type A and/or Type B. Team Green has Saws 1 and 4, so it can saw down trees Type C and/or Type D.
Whenever a team cuts down 2 types of trees, the output will be 1.

Look at the row in the table where you have A=1, B=0, C=0, D=1.
In this case Team Brown cuts down Type A and team Green cuts down Type D, so no team cuts down 2 types of trees, so the output is F=0.

Look at the row in the table where you have A=1, B=1, C=0, D=1.
In this case Team Brown cuts down Type A and Type B and team Green cuts down Type D, so Team Brown cuts down 2 types of trees, thus the output is F=1.

Evaluate each row in the table in this way to get the ouputs.
June 07, 2006 01:47PM
If we use the trees there are conditions that can be specified as inputs that are un-achievable because of the saws, e.g: saw 1 cuts A and saw 2 cuts A & B. If we use trees as inputs it means having a input of only B and not A results in a imposible condition.

How does one deal with this type of thing on a truth table?
June 07, 2006 09:28PM
Team Green can only cut down Type C and Type D, as they are given saw 1 and Saw 4

Team Brown can only cut down Type A and Type B, as they are given saw 2 and Saw 3.

Look how to do your truth table pg 119 of Tut letter 501. Wherever there is a 1 for Type A and Type B , or a 1 for type C and type D, then column F gets a 1

hope that helps
July 05, 2006 04:55PM
I finally managed to finish and hand in this assignment today. It was a difficult, albeit very interesting unit. It took quite a bit longer than I had initially estimated.
The scaty part is Assignment 4 is due in a couple of days.
Cheers,
AndreB
July 05, 2006 07:15PM
Assignment 4 is fortunately a lot easier.. A lot less with the practical and more with the reading, although I thought some of those questions were a bit ..... interesting (for lack of a better word)

-Valkeye
July 11, 2006 03:12PM
I must admitt I found assignemt 3 quite easy. The only problem is It doesnt seem as though it was received, and i guess that doesnt help me hey.
July 11, 2006 04:09PM
Yesterday (10 July) it seemed that the MyUnisa was playing around. All my subjects were missing from the top of the page, and only the assignments which had been marked and returned showed in my assignment list - the ones still waiting to be marked just didn't appear to be there. But all's sorted now. If you want to check that your assignment has been received, just click on the assignment button. If it has been received it will ask you if you want to request a cancellation....Click No. smiling smiley

-Valkeye
July 18, 2006 08:05AM
I managed to submit Assignment 4 without having to request an extension. I'll be honest, I was very releived to see this assignment only covered 2 chapters and consisted of 20 questions.

Valkeye - you were right this assignment was a lot easier and less work than Assignment 3.

AndreB
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login