Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam

Posted by Icebabe 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
October 21, 2006 09:44AM
Ok.... it seems code tags don't work anymore.... smiling smiley
Re: Exam
October 21, 2006 10:37AM
Hi Valkeye,

I agree with your comments about the multiple choice questions. I had read and re-read the questions several times to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Another alternative for finding all ocurances of "ze" is using the find(), then replace() methods wthin a while loop.

I did the COS112 exam yeterday - which was quite a long one, and quite comprehensive in covering the years work. Anyone that had prepared properely would have done well, but anyone who did not prepare would have suffered.
Both COS111 & 112 papers were not bad.

Now for COS101 on Monday.
October 21, 2006 11:43AM
Hi AndreB,

I thought i was quite stupid in the last question though.. I only created the tempory strings holding the first and second half of the main string after I had already edited the first half of the string. As a result I had a condition in my for loop which wasn't as simple as it needed to be in order to make sure I didn't alter the second half.. What I should have done was split the string right after I checked that it was an even number of chars, and then altered the first tempory string... But I realised that I should've done it differently after I completed the question and I guess I was just too lazy to redo the question.... Especially seeing that the way I did it would still work without any problems.

What I'm quite curious about though is this. I'm going to be doing COS112 next year, in hind sight I wished I had done it this year as COS111U was just way too easy. But after completing COS112 are you actually able to code anything useful? Cause COS111U taught you useful building blocks, but not enough to do anything with them..
October 21, 2006 04:35PM
Hi Valkeye,

That is exactly what I did with the strings. I split them into 1st half and 2nd half right after the even / odd size() check. Modified te 1st half as needed, and then simply created a temp string = 2nd + 1st half to reverse the 2 and passed it back to the calling function.

I wanted to mention your second point earlier today but left it. I think you did yourself an injustice by not taking COS112 this year.
I enjoyed what we learnt in COS112, but I must add that the prescribed book is useless. Written by a couple of scientist that succeeded in making everything appear alot more complicated than what they actually are (in my opinion). If you have supplementry doc's or books (which I know you have) then COS112 is not only informative but bloody enjoyable as well. I finally have sorted out all the in's and out's of member & auxilliary fuctions and operator overloading etc, etc.
If you are working for a dev house or on a large C++ project, COS112 will definitely give you the know how to atleast start getting your hands dirty. I'm a little surprised though that they do not handle pointers and linked lists in COS112. Working in existing projects you are bound to run into a stack of these, although if you were starting a project from stratch you could get by without them.

Anyway, what other modules are you taking next year?
For now it is back to the books for COS101 on Monday.

Cheers
October 21, 2006 05:19PM
With the actual programming, the modules I'm gonna take are:

COS112V
COS114X
COS211X

others I wanna take:

INF1059
INF1208
MAT111N
MAT103N
COS201V

I'm pretty much gonna try study full time though. So I hope it's not too much.

I've heard nothing but bad reports all round on the prescribed book. At the beginning of the year I managed to pick it up for next to nothing though. I had a look through and it seemed utterly useless. I can't get my mind around why I would want to use something like EzWindows API, when I can just use the Windows API's themselves.
October 22, 2006 09:38AM
I'll also be taking 8 subjects if I can. You've got 2 maths modules and COS201 - that will be quite challenging, but if you have the time (and motivation) then it shouldn't be a problem.
I must say that Inf105 is quite a lot of work. Just chapters and chapters of info (theory), not my favourite.

I'm hoping to take:
COS201, COS211, COS214, COS221, COS226, COS261, INF206 & INF207.

Ezwindows - what a joke. I can't believe someone actually took the time to write it, unless it was a student doing it as a project. Perhaps a project to rite your own API would be a lot more informative and useful.
I would ideally like to see a module working with Visual C++. Working with dialogs / forms / API's is a lot more complicated than working with forms in VB or C#. Any entrprise software that you encounter nowdays that is written in C++, will be Visual C++. That would be a lot more realistic than writing command line programs. Working with API's with hundreds of different dialogs, menu's, string tables etc is what you'll encounter with any current software (C++) - and then there is the whole managed code story in .net. It seems that we have a hell of a long way to go - I think I have just managed to depress myself.
Anyway, back to the books.
Cheers,
October 23, 2006 10:42AM
Always remember to test the condition sentence.find first which must be greater than -1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login