Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam

Posted by Icebabe 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam
August 30, 2006 02:27PM
smiling smiley Hi Everyone,

Has anyone started studying for the exam yet? I thought I would start working through all the questions at the end of each chapter, then the assignments, then the exam paper.
Re: Exam
August 30, 2006 04:12PM
No chance I'll be starting for the next while. Schedule is just too hectic.
-AndreB
August 31, 2006 02:56PM
Yip, I agree. I think I'll only start around a week before.

-Valkeye
October 10, 2006 11:25AM
studying can be easy.. if u look at the questions.. YOH.. utterly confusing confused smiley
October 10, 2006 09:57PM
ne1 know where i can get the solution for the mock exam??
October 11, 2006 07:54AM
any 2003 or 2004 past papers available? :/

and how lame is it that we have to hand write this crap - sighdy sigh sad smiley
October 11, 2006 02:33PM
Hehe.. Judging from the last paper at least it's not the whole program we'd have to write... just sections of code.. That doesn't irritate me too much..

-Valkeye
October 14, 2006 02:58PM
we went ova e few sections examinable.. its not whole programs.. for example in structs.. we wont really get tested on appending em or neting.. just mostly focus on declaring and input ( lecturers words ). But it shudnt be too hard..
October 14, 2006 03:29PM
its COS112 that im worried about...
October 17, 2006 06:56AM
Hi,

Does anyone know where I can get the answers for last years exam?

R
October 17, 2006 09:10AM
dont think they are available to us.

Which question do you want answers for?
October 17, 2006 01:53PM
Hi,

Just though someone might have it available, going to work through it tomorrow sometime. Thanks, will let you know what i'm struggling with tomorrow.

R
October 19, 2006 06:31AM
Can anyone help me with answers to Question 2 , 4b and 5 in last years exam paper?

Thanks

R
October 19, 2006 11:37AM
Whizza,
here is what I did: Can you maybe supply me with your solution to Question 4a?

//Exam - Section B Question 2
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int inputMark(int & MarkP){

do{
cout << "Enter an integer between 0 and 100" << endl;
cin >> MarkP;
if (MarkP < 0 || MarkP > 100){
cout << "Number must be between 0 and 100" << endl;
cin >> MarkP;
}
} while (MarkP < 0 && MarkP > 100);
}

int main() {
int Mark;
inputMark(Mark);
cout << "The mark is: " << Mark << endl;

return 0;
}
October 19, 2006 09:07PM
DAMN THOSE STRING METHODS!! I'll probably get 3/10 for the last question, but everything else was quite easy. Tomorrow's exam will be quite a bit more difficult, I imagine...
October 19, 2006 09:43PM
Hehe...
I thought the exam was quite nice.. I just got a bit worried in the multiple choice. There were 3 questions in a row that none of their answers were right.

1) The question with the 3 chars(char1, char2 and char3) and the input A, B and C. You had to select the statement which would make A go to char1, B to char2....

In all of their statements they checked char1 was equal to A and B, and checked char3 was equal to C. I was sure that was a typo... But I answered none were correct.

2) The mathematical formulae.. The only possible option was the one where the denominator was in brackets.. (2 + b), but with that option there was no * between the 3 and a bracket in the numerator.. ( 3(...) ), so once again, none of their answers were correct.

3) At this stage I was starting to get highly suspicious.. With the nested if statements. The question where you had to predict the output (Group A, B, C or D, or no output). The first girl also had no output, cause she was left handed and born in USA whilst the if checked == "SA".

But apart from those 3 "No output/solution" questions in a row I thought the exam was pretty easy... ALthough whenever you hand write something there's always the possibility of typo's and missing punctuation....

What's everyone else's view?
October 20, 2006 01:15PM
Hi Icebabe!

Sorry I didn't reply to your question yesterday.Thanks for the help, I actually left house to testing centre before I got the reply.

Valkeye: Yeah, I got the same with those multiple choice questions. I also started doubting and double checking. Think it was a typo, but they will have to mark our answers correct as "none". Who knows though as we never get to see our actual marked paper.

Wasn't too bad, just the last question on strings bamboozled me a bit......

Thanks

R
October 20, 2006 02:16PM
Wasat ppa nice or wat if it wasnt 4 d las Q i wudv got 100 smiling smiley
October 20, 2006 02:18PM
With the mathematical formula.. There was one wit a '*' ?!

KeeP it ReaL
The SurFa..cool smiley
October 21, 2006 09:44AM
There was a option with a *, but there wasn't an option with a * and () around the denominator.

I didn't find the strings question that hard. It was slightly complex so I just sketched it out in rough first and broke the function into 3 tasks.

To make sure the sentence is an even number of chars:
if ((SenP.size() % 2) != 0)
  SenP = SenP.substr(0, SenP.size() -1); // Could have used SenP.erase(...);

I used for the replacing ze with se in the first half:

for(int i = 0; i < (SenP.size()/2)-1; i++) 
  if(SenP.substr(i, 2)=="ze"winking smiley
    SenP.replace(i, 2, "se"winking smiley;
I used the minus 1 to make sure that I could never alter the first character in the second half of the string in case the last character in the first half was z and the first character in the second half was e.

And then finally with swapping the order of the string:
string First, Last;
First = SenP.substr(0, SenP.size()/2);
Last = SenP.substr(SenP.size()/2);
return Last + First;
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login