Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 countdown

Posted by valkeye 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: Assignment 2 countdown
May 19, 2006 12:10PM
Hey Mel,

Dont let that be discouraging though, in a few years you'll be up there with the best in the country if you work hard and parctise hard. I always feel that way too, but I like that there are people much smarter and better than me... means we always have a next point to get to !!

All the best

avatar Re: Assignment 2 countdown
May 19, 2006 02:57PM
hehee...

I'm away for just under 24hours and I come back to a day's worth of reading!!!

It's cool hearing everybodies views.. I studied JAVA and self taught VB and VB.NET. I've been in the industrial arena now for +-2 years and thought that I was progressing, and that this degree would basically be just "new syntax", although I was secretly hoping for more..

I can't say much more accept that I'm really gonna apply myself to what was said here cause there've been some valid points..

-Valkeye
May 20, 2006 11:11AM
Hi guys,

What an interesting read. What is apparent is that there appears to be some very talented, and experienced people taking this course.

I have several years experience in writing small to medium front end Engineering applications using self taught VB, VB.Net and C# languages. However, I'm finding the formal background that the COS courses offer invaluable.
I have a hectic job and I'm currently studying COS101, COS111, COS112, COS113, INF105, INF120 and CEM101. Despite the volume of work and endless business trips I'm having fun learning things that I thought I knew.
Despite the knowledge and experience that I thought I had in object oriented programming, I was left somewhat wanting when working with an oversees colleague who had a strong formal backgroung. His knowledge in system design and architecture left me with the notion that I was definitely missing something. Having said that I did however have a lot more experience in our industry than my colleague.

Conclusion - I have to agree with Kensuke:
Experience alone - dangerous
Education alone - potential but not too useful yet.
Experience & Education - Can't beat it.

Have fun on this cold weekend.

- AndreB
May 21, 2006 12:24PM
Hiya guys ,

I've just recently started reading these forums and must say it's great to see other people in the same boat (Full time working with the studying) as I am. I must admit the assignments/studying etc. takes way more time than I expected but I thought it's better to take as many modules in the 1st year as possible (considering time) as i'll have to take less every year as the modules become more difficult. (3rd year subjects).

I have ACN101 , MNB101, INF105, COS111, COS114, CSS101, INF1208 and unfortunately CEM101...... which I also found was ridiculous as I have a diploma in IT Engineering (including all your A+, N+, iNet+, MCSE, Linux etc) plus a few more international IT qualifications but no credit for CEM. So yeah....i'm also trying here and there to finish some of the CEM exams.

Valkeye , if you battle to get time to do them , do 2 or 3 at a time. They are really easy and if you have a read through the material you should be fine. I've completed the first 3 of the 7.....

Anyways , back to Assignments!

Ciao

Whizza
Anonymous User
May 23, 2006 10:02AM
Do one get a certicate from UNISA's side for CEM101A aswell or just the ICDL certicicate???
Mel
May 23, 2006 02:06PM
I don't think you get a certificate from UNISA, just a credit. But the ICDL certificate itself is internationally recognised, so it's a "qualification" in itself.
May 24, 2006 05:42PM
I like your "" around "qualification".. I don't see many people recognizing it as much though.. But every bit helps i guess.

-Valkeye
May 25, 2006 10:21AM
Personally, I think the ICDL is a great qualification - everybody should be required to take it - EXCEPT people in the School of Computing!

I work in an office where no-one understands how to attach pics/docs to email, create folders, etc - and the concept of people needing to have a licence before they touch a PC starts to sound more and more attractive every day I get called to help someone put "that funny bar thing back at the bottom of the screen".

However, considering the computer literacy levels of most people in the school of computing, and what we're expected to do on computers, CEM101A just wastes our time. If we're lacking any of the skills CEM101A covers, surely we would be forced to pick them up in the pursuit of our other subjects?
Mel
May 25, 2006 10:35AM
What really bothers me about the ICDL thing is that when I was in school in Grade 9 we did a course from Cambridge University as one of our subjects. In recent years, the school has replaced this course with ICDL. I find it insulting that at university level where I am studying a computer degree, only allowed to submit assignments that have used some form of word processing, and working in an office environment where I use these programs every day, I am forced to pay for a course that can easily be done by 15 and 16 year olds.
May 25, 2006 04:01PM
I must aggree (with everyone).

It seems by popular consensus that the ICDL holds as much interest to us as a whole in the head.. To echo what velvet said though, I too also have people telling me that there computers are broken, when in fact it's just the user thats broken.

-Valkeye
May 25, 2006 04:07PM
-Duplicate post

-Valkeye
May 25, 2006 05:39PM
I do a lot of software and desktop support, and a lot of it is telephonic and it is scary to hear some of the complaints and even scarier when the person on the other side of the phone cannot navigate through Windows Explorer. I can understand CEM101 for these people but I have to agree with you guys that CEM101 as part of a School of Computing degree is pretty much being taught to suck eggs.
May 25, 2006 05:57PM
LOL...
Just to spite us CEM101B, C and D are gonna mysteriously come into the course material, with rivetting subject topics like "My CD-Rom is not a cup holder" and "Deleting files won't make the problem go away"

-Valkeye
May 25, 2006 09:48PM
I really need to learn how to create a folder. It is so difficult!!

This is rediculous and a waste of money as far as I am concerned.

Devesh
May 26, 2006 09:39AM
While money is always an issue, I'm a lot more concerned about the waste of time. Time management is the most critical concept in my life right now, and I'm dreading making time for the 7 exams.
Mel
May 26, 2006 09:57AM
Do you think if enough of us write in to complain they will review this subject? It's worth a try! To me, the time and money aspects are equally important Velvet! My budget is a squeeze in any month, and I think it is so unfair that we have to pay extra for the "passport" thing and all the exams, and still pay UNISA and buy a textbook!
May 26, 2006 12:45PM
Instead of writing and complaining, why not just direct a lecturer to this thread.. It pretty much covers everything.

-Valkeye
May 26, 2006 12:59PM
Hmmm... Do you think we could get the posts (from where we started ranting about CEM101A) moved to the CEM101 forum?
June 02, 2006 12:54PM
Hi

Lets see where everybody is with COS111U, did you improve or what. Mel and valkeye, just want to let you know that I complpetely nailed this assignment, it more than makes up for my 67% I got for INF109 I tell you I was completely disgrunted by it. I got a maximum 70 credits, 100%!!! What did you guys get?
Mel
June 02, 2006 01:02PM
Well done Brendon! I didn't do as well in this assignment as I should have, because I ran out of time and didn't finish, so I just submitted what I had. When I went over the sections that I hadn't done, I was really annoyed with myself, coz they're pretty simple. I'm expecting to do way better in Assignment 2!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login