Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Advice

Posted by jeanbodemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Advice
November 13, 2007 02:23PM
I'm thinking of taking this subject next year but would like to know a bit more about it first.

Basically I would like to know how this subject compares to COS261 e.g. (Do you still use Fitch proofs, what other type of proofs are used, are there plenty of examples etc?)

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Advice
November 13, 2007 03:31PM
The 3rd level course is focussed on semantics (how to assign truth values to sentences) of various languages of logic, rather than on proofs. It is quite interesting but a little hard to come to grips with in the beginning. It requires perseverence but it is well worth it IMO.
November 13, 2007 09:36PM
Thanx - depending on what I pass this year - I'll have to decide between Cos301 and Cos361.
Re: Advice
November 13, 2007 10:22PM
What makes me a bit worried is that there are barely any posts in this forum. So either the subject is easy enough that no one has to ask questions or barely any one is taking it.

I only require one more module to finish my degree. So I'm basically looking for a subject without any suprises and which doesn't require too much effort (e.g. Cos340).
November 20, 2007 05:52PM
jeanbodemer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What makes me a bit worried is that there are
> barely any posts in this forum. So either the
> subject is easy enough that no one has to ask
> questions or barely any one is taking it.
>

It worried me too (see my posts this year for this and
cos301) - AFAICT, it seems that the users are probably using
some other platform to discuss, and not ospreys phorums.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login