Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Neural networks

Posted by Kilhra 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Neural networks
October 06, 2007 03:04PM
Can anyone please give me a simplified explanation of this?
I'm really struggling with it, and I'm not really understanding what the textbook is trying to say.
I read the other thread about the q in the previous exam paper and I'm not understanding much of that either and it seems that neural networks might count quite a couple of marks in the exam
October 06, 2007 07:01PM
Kilhra - read my comments in the "Exam solution" thread.... Neural networks might not be that important to us this year. sad smiley
Re: Neural networks
October 06, 2007 09:09PM
Well, I'll be over the moon if its not important
October 06, 2007 10:18PM
I would think that you will at least need to know how to create some perceptron.

If you don't find the textbook clear, check wikipedia. Although it seems many of the stuff regarding AI is directly taken out of it.

Think of the neuron as a trigger. You give it's bias weight/threshold a value. And then you give the input weights values. When these inputs trigger they will or will not "trip" the threshold, ie be greater than it. If it is then the neuron "fires". So if you look at those simple binary ones:

AND has two inputs with weights of 1 and the bias weight of 1.5.

If only one input fires:
1 < 1.5 doesn't fire.

if both inputs fire:
1 + 1 > 1.5 the neuron fires. Thus AND has happened.

Now look at the Summed Weights part and see if that makes sense. Think of what will happen if you link a bunch of these together.

Hope this helps a bit.
October 07, 2007 10:54AM
Oh that helps, thanks a lot!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login