Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

So what did you think?

Posted by stevenv 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
So what did you think?
October 16, 2007 01:06PM
So what did everyone else think of the paper? I reckon it was quite fair overall and didn't have any problems except for leaving consistency semantics out of my studies smiling smiley the only complaint I have is the mark allocation for the Gantt charts and Banker's algorithm was a little off, those are labour intensive questions to answer and should've had more weight. Was quite surprised to see nothing asked on ******* *************** or any of chapters **, **, **, **, ** or **!!! Correct me if I'm wrong if I remember the questions asked correctly:
1) *******
2) ******* ********** (********** *** ********** **********, ***** ******)
3) ******* *********
4) ************* *** **********, ********* *** ***** *********
5) **** *********** (********** *** *********** **********)
6) *********** *********
avatar Re: So what did you think?
October 16, 2007 01:14PM
I agree fair paper but i didn't like the multiple essay part.didn't have enough time.

smiling bouncing smiley
October 16, 2007 01:23PM
Did not study 6). Made a hash of Schedulers because it was also boring to learn. Spent too much time on Gannt and bankers - but marks was fair enough here . I was not aiming for more than 60% anyway. This class is small, I think 7 turned up in Durban. So they may have too much time marking/nitpicking answers compared to INF305 etc?
October 16, 2007 01:30PM
Mmmm, just a comment - if there are any overseas people in the America's - you just gave them the exam paper...
iva
Re: So what did you think?
October 16, 2007 01:36PM
i'm a bit annoyed about 2 things

the mark allocation was little for the amount of time to do the tedious practical questions...

stuff that was mentioned to learn like the linux stuf was not even asked

we weren't asked theory on (IMHO more relavent) Processes and threads but were were asked about Consistency semantics

i'm a bit disappointed
October 16, 2007 02:09PM
LOL, didn't think about that one (i.e. people in the US) but with the small number of people in SA doing this module (we also had 10 or so) I doubt that there's anybody doing the course outside SA but if there are, guess I've helped them out a bit, no rules that I know of against discussing exam content post-fact. But just in case, I've corrected the error of my ways smiling smiley
October 16, 2007 03:21PM
I knew I had to learn Consistency semantics but didn't because I thought it would be unlikely to be in the exam. Ha Ha! Murphy at it again...

The exam was fair though. It covered quite alot (I think it would be impossible to cover that whole syllabus in an exam) and I'm relieved there was no Linux stuff because, to be honest, I didn't even startup that knoppix disk once. The interest just wasn't there. Why it was ever included in the syllabus is beyond me, considering how cluttered it is already. My advice: remove knoppix and all the network stuff that was covered in previous COS modules because it doesn't add anything to the module at all.

Besides that the book was the only decent part of the course considering there was no involvement from the lecturers. The study guide was good to but it is a pity it is for the wrong version of the book.

Anyway I'm rambling... good luck to all of you!

2 down... 6 to go...
October 16, 2007 04:22PM
mmmmm. I just received TUT202 from the post. A bit late I would think.

The question on cash was unexpected, and I had to "GORREL" a lot.

And Consistency semantics, well, another piece of "gorreling".

I wish we had an eager participant in SAMOA that could have helped with the exam.

So , is it 1 to go or more to go next year? I will have to wait for my Christmas box from Unisa.
October 16, 2007 09:02PM
It was a fair paper although the essay questions were a bit irritating. I was trying to cram so much of stuff in the last few days that I started to forget a lot of the material asked in the exams.
I hope I remembered correctly and got some of it right.

There was about 8 people in Durban, I think. Three were ladies and finished before the allotted time. Guess they were very sharp smile

As for the consistency semantics, that wasn't fair. I'm a bit disappointed with how the paper went although thats my fault mostly.
iva
October 16, 2007 09:20PM
glad i'm not the only one who was disappointed .. ugh well...funny it musta also been only 10 of us at CT, i left early too but its cos i didnt have much to say on consistence sucky semantics and a coupla other things
October 17, 2007 06:17AM
If I get Q2, Q3 and Q5 correctly, I should pass this module. I spent some 2 hours on those calculations and was left with only 1 hour for the theory part. Anyway, it was a fair paper, but I'm very disappointed with the way I answered Q1. Q6 did not answer at all, can't recollect consistency semantics were. Some 12 of us took the exam here in Mauritius.
October 17, 2007 12:15PM
The comments in this thread pretty-much summarise my thoughts as well. I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that did not learn consistency semantics. Indeed I also feel that the amount of points allocated relative to the amount of time it took to write up those essays and perform those calculations were not entirely fair. I could probably have scored > 85% for this exam if I had 4 or 5 hours to write instead of only 3. I often found myself spending 30 minutes for about 10 out of the 100 marks. I was tempted to skip quite a few sections but then realised the following sections required just as much time per mark

Btw, I hail from George and was the only one writing this subject. smiling smiley
October 17, 2007 01:29PM
I think the paper was fine but yes i agree that some question were allocated lot of marks and they required lot of time to answer them as they stated that we must show all our calculations clearly.

NB: the are 171 students registered for this module - Source : MyUNISA->Cos321
->class list.

Good Luck with your results guys.
October 17, 2007 05:55PM
That's 171 people that opted to be included in the myUNISA class list, I wonder how many people are registered for this module in total.
October 17, 2007 07:15PM
I think the paper was fair and I attempted all the questions. However, I think there were too many question to write essays on. I am dissapointed that we had only lecturer and he was unreachable. As for consistency semantics as was question whether we should learn this and as there were no answers I did went through it although my answer was not completely to the mark. I was dissapointed that I did not learn anything on caching although I answered the question. Overall I am satisfied with the paper. My only question now is how to calculate how much out of 10% I got for the assignments. Anyone Knows how to calculate it.
October 17, 2007 07:20PM
stevenv : no 171 is the number of registrations
October 17, 2007 07:52PM
I enjoyed this paper a lot, also didn't have a clue about consistency semantics, looks like no one did.

I finished in two hours, then again, none of my essay questions were more that 3/4 of a page.

for q 1 I tried to remember what I learnt at school and in previous years lol
October 17, 2007 09:59PM
OK, see what you mean smiling smiley
October 18, 2007 07:06AM
There was 10 seats available in DBN for COS321,7 turned up, and I don't know how many gave up during the year of those that registered.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login