Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What type of Pattern is the Serializer (p227)

Posted by iva 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
iva
What type of Pattern is the Serializer (p227)
October 09, 2007 09:22PM
our genius book doesn't say and its not even on the list of patterns in wikipedia.. or is there a synonymous name for it?
gees and we are meant to know design patterns for the exam this book is a joke i have found more useful information on the net than in this lame ass book

anyways , i think its a structural, if i have to choose of the 3 types , definitely not behavioural? and don't think it has to do with creation of objects either...

any thoughst?
iva
Re: What type of Pattern is the Serializer (p227)
October 09, 2007 09:36PM
ok now someone suggested it could be behaavioral because it writes to files but it doesn't really it just makes a neater way of representing the data structures for writing to tables right? the behavioural stuff actually deals with the comms? or maybe not?? confused smiley
October 09, 2007 09:38PM
Perhaps someone can list the patterns, and which category they fall under?
iva
October 09, 2007 09:44PM
well you can get most of them from the book and internet searches , some sites have neat tables, whch is what the stupid book should've had .. got this useful link from a mate http://www.mindspring.com/~mgrand/pattern_synopses.htm
iva
October 09, 2007 09:54PM
ok i think maybe it is behavioural, with the socket writing and all ... <thanks rick i think>
October 09, 2007 09:56PM
Thanks Iva,

If Visitor is Bahavioural then surely Serialzer is too?
Anonymous User
October 09, 2007 09:59PM
heres another good link
huston patterns

but no signs of serializer...

and yeah monostate is actually rare... everytime i come across it, it's fighting with singleton. drinking smiley
iva
October 09, 2007 10:02PM
i think that is is just called state in other sources but don't quote me on it i haven't got there yet
October 09, 2007 10:05PM
Slow connection here, sorry
Would ModelView be bahavioral?, and Reflection?
iva
October 09, 2007 10:07PM
the State pattern ( just squizzed it very quick) looks like its just about static data, ie data from classes that can be shared, like environment settngs
October 09, 2007 10:10PM
I don't think it fits in either one of those categories. I have a Java book about patterns and it defines more categories: Basic, Creational, Collectional, Structural, Behvioral and Concurrency.

I don't think it really matters what category it is, as this book doesn't even define all of them (categories).
October 09, 2007 10:14PM
I Concur
iva
October 10, 2007 08:11AM
nick@cks.co.za Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Slow connection here, sorry
> Would ModelView be bahavioral?, and Reflection?

RE MODELVIEW:
i read somewhere that the view part of modelview includes decoupling so uses the Observer as well as Strategy patterns

REFLECTION:
is the same as the Metaobject pattern, classes that describes other classes, my understanding is that it would use it in a situation say where you might not have the class itself but just the base object type (say you are looping around a bunch of controls on a screen/widget, instead of writing code for each one (because fore example you have 50 questions and answers, the answers can be edit boxes, radio buttons or drop down boxes - u don't want to go through them 1 by 1 so you loop through every qwidget control in the widget and all you know by doing this is that you have a qwidget, by having the metaobject available you can check what type of widget it is before handling it...
ie
if widgetcontrol.type == qlabel
ignore, you don't want to do anything with theses

if widgetcontrol.type ( this is pseudo code not c++) == qeditbox
then validate and save value in the DB
etc

i read this somewhere:
The idea of the Reflection pattern is to make the software self-aware, and make selected aspects of its structure and behavior accessible for adaptation and change (http://www.vico.org/pages/PatronsDisseny/Pattern%20Reflection/index.html)

so maybe the METAOBJECT/REFLECTION pattern is structural and behavioural
Anonymous User
October 10, 2007 08:28AM
and for those who like singing and for those who will be singing tomorrow...

heres a link to the MVC song and lyrics..

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 10, 2007 08:30AM
hi a serializer in java is this:

you have two remote servers, and the one wants to send the other srever the state of its objects. in java you can serialize objects into a stream and then send them down the wire. on the other end the server 'unserialize' them and walla the other server now has the same objects and same state as the other.

the same goes if you want to save the state of a object to file. you actually serialize and write to stream and then to file. next time you load the file back in and your objects are in the same state it was.

say you want to send commands to a remote server and pass the objects as arguments. u use the serializer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login