Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How many people writing the final exam??

Posted by Niri 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
How many people writing the final exam??
October 09, 2007 07:14PM
Hi Guys

Just doing a survey, how many people are actually going to write the exam, and how many have given up??

I ask because the forum has been very quiet of late, considering that we're 2 days away from the exams...

Thanks again jkoorts for the summaries hope they help me pass!!
iva
Re: How many people writing the final exam??
October 09, 2007 07:47PM
i was just too busy studying for my other subjects but i'll be writing too <at parow>
Anonymous User
October 09, 2007 08:21PM
drinking smiley i will too...

anyone interested in discussing the questions in tut 104 and other possible questions?

btw, did u notice the implementation question in tl104 is from chapter6?

drinking smiley
October 09, 2007 09:36PM
Kinda funny that hey.
Are we supposed just provide the class definitions, or the function implementations as well?
October 09, 2007 10:20PM
I find tut104 a bit confusing.

Anyone know what they mean by "For the practical part, the practical tutorial letter 102 is important"? But that is mainly the installation procedure! confused smiley
October 10, 2007 06:19AM
I am also confused about that? I thought maybe they would ask a coupl of questions about Variables and Makefiles, etc.
Not sure though
iva
October 10, 2007 07:48AM
i think they might, the first example question is to explain what libutils is
October 10, 2007 10:59AM
I'm writing but i'm so lost I don't know what't the point. Guys, am I the only feeling like I've taken nothing away from this subject this year. If you asked me to sit and write a little GUI app based on this textbook, I wouldn't be able to do it. What's the point of using design patterns when you have to spend more time debugging the patterns themselves. I don't understand the basics well enough to do that. And there were no basic, simple problems where we just learn to write our own programs.
iva
October 10, 2007 11:08AM
alls not lost yet, just get familar with what the design patterns are used for, memorise some of their example types to be able to recognise them eg:

Oberserver --> enables messge passing --> eg QEvent --> look out for code egs using signals/slots

Command --> objects for representing actions --> eg QAction --> look out for code egs with jobqueues, thread pools, undo/redos

Serialiser --> responsible for read/writing objects --> Eg QDatastream with Qlist/Qmap/QVector --> look out for code doing data writing to files

etc, thats a very quick summary that hopefully gives you enough to be able to trigger the info you might need in the exam...

- Then just also go through the 6 classes they say we must know in TL 104 and make short summaries on them on your QT Assistant

- The TL says we won't be penalised for syntax so i'm sure if you have an idea of what to do and can write it in pseudo code it will be enough

Theres only 1 more day of suffering on this module so give it your best last shot!
October 10, 2007 11:37AM
8010277, I feel your pain!!

Have no clue what this is about?!
But iva is right, one more day, then it is all over!

Good luck to you all!!

Hope its going better for you!!!eye popping smiley
October 10, 2007 01:39PM
Thanks guys and thanks Iva. What you've suggested is the way I've been studying. Hoping to recognise code and be able to write pseudo. Good luck to everyone, as well.
iva
October 10, 2007 01:40PM
good luck everyone
its been emotional tongue sticking out smiley
October 10, 2007 04:27PM
Yes 8010277 i have been feeling the same. I have seen so many post intelligent questions on this Forum, and my questions have not been up to scratch smile I'm writing in Randburg and wonder how many cos311 students will be there....

I have been making summaries as well of the patterns, i don't recognise them well enough yet, but i've only got today because i wrote a paper yesterday afternoon. I will definitely give it my best shot because i've struggled through the year to get here...

Truth though, i actually haven't learnt anything that would help me or that i would use again in my life because there is no chance of me becoming a programmer!!

Good luck to everyone...

Niri smile
October 10, 2007 04:30PM
Just want it to be over
October 10, 2007 05:03PM
Yes, still studying and ESKOM is not helping at all. We had a power failure for most of the day.

C u in Hall C in PTA
October 10, 2007 05:14PM
Will see you there Niri.

Anyone knows what objectives they are talking about in tut104 ("The purpose of the exam is to test if you have acquired the knowledge and skills set out in the objectives of the module"winking smiley?

I'm not sure what to study. The tut seems to imply that most of the questions will be about patterns but what about all the other stuff like regular expressions, layouts etc. Was that all a waste of time?
Anonymous User
October 10, 2007 06:22PM
yea surely a waste of time... we must know a lot more classes and stuffs to answer questions on reg exp, layouts, widgets, etc..

i never really knew i was learning design patterns this year until tut 104..
October 10, 2007 06:39PM
And I happened to only download Tut104 a few weeks ago, have not yet received it?
Duh.
iva
October 10, 2007 07:09PM
ja it was pretty pathetic setting out course material on design patterns with a book that does not even discuss them...the lecturers could have at least salvaged their reputations by helping on the forums and setting out notes on design patterns... but i reckon they were more inexperienced than us and got all THEIR answers from our posts
can't wait to never have to look at this rubbish course material again
October 10, 2007 07:26PM
I Hope
October 10, 2007 09:19PM
i phoned the lecture in the beginning of this year and asked her if i need to learn QT - she replied no you need to know what a framework is, API, patterns, diff between maps and set and hashmap.

i did not write one line of C++ for my assignments for this course. Only did the theory.

I've learned the patters to death, and memorized those classes map,vector,thread,etc.

lets see.
iva
October 10, 2007 09:25PM
if we didn't have to know qt then why did we have to sweat through assignments on coding....uggh, well we are less than 24hours from finishing smiling smiley
good luck everyone
October 10, 2007 09:28PM
The assignments were hard and required a LOT of time to do. For what? They only count about 10% and by the looks of it we'll barely get any for the exam.angry smiley

What a waste of time!
Anonymous User
October 10, 2007 09:30PM
wow... eye popping smiley

i think i did the opposite of what jkoorts did for the assignments..
Anonymous User
October 10, 2007 10:11PM
God help us all sad smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login