Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bQuestions about the Exam

Posted by RiaanR 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar bQuestions about the Exam
November 13, 2007 08:44AM
This is probably a dumb question but, if they give us a "definition" in the exam like EVEN-EVEN or EVENPALINDROME will they (examiners) at least explain what the language is? Because some of these names are obvious and some aren't.
iva
Re: bQuestions about the Exam
November 13, 2007 11:01AM
i'm sure they will but there are only a few common ones, EVEN-EVEN, ODD-PALINDROME , EVENPALINDROME .. i dont think you have to worry about it
November 13, 2007 12:10PM
Does anybody know how we can obtain the solutions to last year's exam paper? Or perhaps to compare answers?
November 13, 2007 02:04PM
Lack of solutions to the handbook questions and the previous exam paper is frightening...

Really doesn't help you test your knowledge.
iva
November 13, 2007 02:07PM
last years exam paper is one of the tuts you should have received, if not look in your downloads section of osprey or on myunisa / resources for the module.

if you want 2004,2005,2006 exams and assignments mail me and i'll send them to you
November 13, 2007 04:07PM
We received the paper but not the solutions.
avatar Re: bQuestions about the Exam
November 14, 2007 09:01AM
Yip, Not having the solutions does NOT help.
There is a tut letter with some solutions to questions of the prescribed text.
November 14, 2007 10:11AM
Yeah we got that at the start of the year. But it's so few sad smiley
avatar Re: bQuestions about the Exam
November 14, 2007 10:35AM
Agreed. I think the way that you should learn this subject is do plenty of examples. (but there's so few like Peter H said)
November 14, 2007 09:45PM
I totally agree! At least last year we had a lot of exercises with answers in the study guide. I wonder why they felt we didn't need to this year?
November 14, 2007 11:15PM
jeanbodemer:

You don't have the pdf of last year's study guide anymore by any chance? I would kill to get that...
November 14, 2007 11:21PM
I've been looking at all the TUT102's from 2002-2004 that's on one of the other threads. Seems like exactly the same tuts.
November 15, 2007 06:49AM
Unfortunately not.
November 15, 2007 11:34AM
Is it just me or is 2PDA so much easier to draw than PDA? eye rolling smiley
November 15, 2007 02:43PM
Am i right to assume that the section in Chapter 23 on page 545-548 can be left out as it says in the exam letter that we do not need to memorise the way in which a TM is encoded? Just wondering cos we had about 2 qsts in the assignment on this and 2 more qsts in Tut102 on additional extra questions. Anybody know what we actually need to study for this chapter? Will we be expected to draw anything.

Thanks guys!
November 16, 2007 11:05AM
I don't know about 23 either. I'm wondering if we need to be able to know how to encode a TM but just not the codes in Cohen. Maybe they can give you a code to work with?

I hope not... There is more than enough to study already.

Is it just me or is everything from 22 onwards just theory and no application?
November 17, 2007 10:52AM
how do the previous exam papers look in relation to assignments? The same more or less or totally different?
November 17, 2007 11:44AM
Going to do all the assignments today. But so far it looks more or less the same.
iva
November 18, 2007 06:49PM
all the previous exams ask an encoding question , that means 2 TMs in the exam amounting to nearly 30% of the paper
November 18, 2007 07:09PM
iva, what do you mean with encoding question? I have the papers from 2001 to 2003 and I can't find them.
iva
November 18, 2007 07:22PM
check out Question 9 from the 2006 exam , it will be a big beaaach to most ppl cos we didn't have to do any for assignmetns but 2006 down to 2001 question 9b in ALL of them ask you to prove a function is computable using unary encoding ( and you do this by drawing a TM , cos to a function is computable if it can be represented in a TM ) pg601
November 18, 2007 07:29PM
I am on this qst too and can't figure out how to draw the TM. Does anybody know what this TM is supposed to look like.

The qst says Prove that the function f(n) = n + 2 N >= 0 is computable. Use unary encoding.
iva
November 18, 2007 07:34PM
n is the number of letters processed, meaning they want you to draw a machine that inputs a certain amount of letters and outpust the orignal string pLUS 2 more leters, so you have to add these to the end of the tape, ie when you it the end blank you replace the blank with a, go right , ie ( delta, a, R) , and repeat once ,to get 2 added

there is an eg in 2004 assignment 4
November 18, 2007 08:06PM
iva Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> check out Question 9 from the 2006 exam , it will

Oh, I was wondering what those questions were about. Still have to get round to that.
November 18, 2007 08:18PM
Yeah, saw the ass4 one but don't have the solutions for it sad smiley

Thanks though, that helps a lot!
iva
November 18, 2007 08:26PM
mail me quickly at ildsarria@gmail.com i'll send it to you
iva
November 18, 2007 08:49PM
i must be off, so if you haven't found out how to do unary encoding heres a quick summary:

when you need to add a's say as for that example where f(n) = 2n-1 , or each a you read , you go to the end of the string where you get space ( delta ) u replace with an A or something, then at the very end you go and replace the last one with space ( thats the -1 part )
November 18, 2007 08:51PM
Be sure to check out, add, minus, max, select... did I miss one? Right at the back ch25. Some of them can be damn tricky. Hope we get an easy one like successor, just add one 'a' grinning smiley
November 18, 2007 10:02PM
Damn, missed Iva, but thanks anyway for all your help Iva!

To the other dudes and dudesses that are still on this forum, how do you do the f(n) = n + n one?

Man! now i'm stressing for tomorrow biiiiggg time!
November 18, 2007 10:39PM
These functions confuse me.

Does f(n) = n + n mean you are adding two different numbers or would they state it like f(something) = n + m?

If it means n + m then:
If you are adding two different numbers you can just replace the b with an a and remove the last a i.e. aaabaa becomes aaaaa.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login