Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Exam

Posted by jeanbodemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
The Exam
October 26, 2007 04:52PM
So how was it?

I thought it was a fair exam, most of the proof questions were straight from the last tutorial. What really irritated me though was that there wasn't a separate answer sheet. The one proof even went over to another page and I was constantly getting confused, probably lost 10 minutes just there.
Re: The Exam
October 26, 2007 05:18PM
I liked it. I agree, it was a fair paper. I'm disappointed that I couldn't do the proofs too well so I lost marks there. I was hoping for an A, now maybe a low B, high C. It was my own fault for not working through quantifiers enough though.
Anonymous User
October 26, 2007 05:47PM
fair but it should have been three hours exam.
October 26, 2007 06:03PM
Also could have done with more time, but otherwise it wasn't bad.

I think the Durban exam room was next to the toilets...could hear toilets flushing and the wonderful aroma of sh1t floating through the air...I initially thought it was someone sitting next to me..hehe...was a bit distracting

Clive
October 26, 2007 06:07PM
Clive, I didn't smell anything. Were you sitting nearer the back of the room?
October 26, 2007 06:17PM
No, right in front..where were you sitting?
October 26, 2007 06:17PM
there was one person in front of me.
October 26, 2007 07:52PM
I also thought the exam wasn't too bad. Pity that I didn't go through ass 3's answers again just before the exam, wouldn't have struggled so much then. Thought some of the questions seemed familiar.
And YES, those answering pages with the questions was a pain! At least, with the question where we had to give "proof" on the Tarski's World forms, you could see there wasn't space to answer on part b, so you knew you had to go and draw the picture.
And, what is a prenex and a Tove??
October 26, 2007 08:13PM
Prenex form is when all the quantifiers are in front.

You didn't need to know what a Tove is, it might as well have been Large.
October 26, 2007 08:21PM
Didn't answer the prenex and sort of assumed that Tove is a make-up word.
October 26, 2007 08:32PM
Clive, I was near the front too on the left hand side, about 4/5 seats back.
There were only three girls there, the other two were both in front of me.
October 26, 2007 08:42PM
I thought the exam was quite difficult. Or rather - the formal proofs were quite difficult. Should of/ Could of/ Would of spent more time on them.
Was also hoping for an A here, but will need a miracle to get a B
October 26, 2007 08:47PM
The two sample papers that I had were NOTHING like the exam!
October 26, 2007 09:26PM
You are quite right. I was kind of suckered into a false sense of security being comfortable with being able to answer all the questions in the mock exam (except 1 of the proofs)
This is the first paper I've written that I could not answer a few of the questions.
October 27, 2007 08:47AM
There was a question about quantifiers where you had to give 8 different sentences. I'm not sure if did it right, it sounded too simple.

I gave sentences like:
Ex (Dodec(x))
Ex (Large(x))
Ex (Tet(x))
etc.

What type of answers did you guys give?
Anonymous User
October 27, 2007 10:46AM
I also did quantified sentences like that. On the exam itself, well I had a mini disaster before the exam when my car broke down and I had to get alternative transport and I eventually got to the exam room 1/2 hour late. The exam itself was very easy but since I didnt have time for everything, I left out the formal proofs and did everything else. I'll be happy if I just pass smiling smiley
October 27, 2007 11:01AM
That's a bummer -Bini.
That didn't reqally specify how complex the quantified sentences should be. I gave a mixture of some simple ones and some more complex ones. I also mixed and matched with universal and existential quantifiers.
I walked out of the exam feeling like I'd been smacked by a bus. I think it's the effect of accumulated lack of sleep. I'm kind of sorry that I left it so late to prepare for this one. I covered quatifiers for the first time on Thursday night. The quantifiers really aren't difficult but I should have spent more time on practising formal proofs.
October 27, 2007 11:02AM
Please excuse my spelling.
thumbs up smiley Re: The Exam
October 27, 2007 10:17PM
E ! x Tove(x) ?????

Look! A Tove! eye popping smiley

Ex (IfPassExam(x) ^ BloodyAmased(x))

I hate quantifiers...
October 28, 2007 10:06AM
I didn't quite understand E ! xTove(x).
Should this not have been !Ex Tove(x) or Ex !Tove(x).
I think your last comment should be universal, not existential:
Vx (IfPassExam(x) --> (BloodyAmazed(x) ^ BloodyGrateful(x))
October 28, 2007 10:41AM
I counted the marks (conservatively) which I knew I got right and scored about 42%, if I'm lucky I'll get my 46% + year mark to pass.....
October 28, 2007 02:33PM
That's why I wrote "Look! A Tove!" as my answer. Maybe it's a type-o. By that time all hope and sanity has left me, and i figured myself a bit of a logician. Now, I don't know anymore. At least I still have my sense of humour...
October 28, 2007 03:49PM
E!xTove(x) <=> "there is exactly one object and it's a Tove."

Clive
October 28, 2007 08:09PM
okay, but what does ! mean?
October 28, 2007 09:45PM
It's an abbreviated form of E!nx P(x) which means there are exactly n objects satisfying P(x) check page 340 chapter 14 of the text book.
October 28, 2007 10:33PM
its page 375 section 14.2

We were only supposed to read to the end of 14.1
October 29, 2007 10:19AM
This is what I answered.

Ax Ay (Tove(x) -> x = y)
October 29, 2007 03:35PM
Sorry Tracy....page 370, at the end of Chapter 14.1, This is where they first introduce it...just before the excercises.(Don't know where I got p340 from?)
October 29, 2007 03:36PM
Yes, what an exam!!!

Tove is a variable and could mean any function, comes from the jabberwak (or something like that) poem. So they used "Tove" to keep you from getting bogged down on the actual meaning of the function and just look at is as any function at all.

I don't know about you, but trying to do logic for a lot of hours the previous night and then that whole morning (we wrote at 2pm in Dubai) just took all my logic out of me. 1 hour into the exam and I could not longer keep my eyes parallel with each other, they kept on trying to look each other. My brain developed this big cloud. The injustice I did myself by studying too much!! ai ai ai.

Ronel
October 29, 2007 03:53PM
I've done that often..studied so much that by the time I write the exam my brain is fried...fortunately this was not one of those times.

I read a book some time back on memory...apparently a good nights sleep before an exam is extremely important for memory as studies have shown that your brain (during sleep) consolidates what you have learnt and you remember way more material the next day.

So pulling all nighters are bad.eye popping smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login