Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 03 - a lil bit o confusion.

Posted by SynNopSys 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 03 - a lil bit o confusion.
May 14, 2007 09:12AM
OK!

I must admit that chapter 11 was the MOST interesting and had me on the edge of my seat the whole way! Twas delightful... as for chapter 13, wasn't bad (loved the RAID section), but chapter 15 was a bore.

Anywayz, onto serious matters. I just want to clear something up, the difference between subnetting and CIDR (i.e. supernetting) is that the later can "borrow" bits from the network information.

One question: lets say for example one -an example company- leases a class B (eg 145.99.0.0) and supernets it, clearly it will no longer be the same address which could be routed to the companies perimiter routers!!! Wont changing some of the network bits in the ip address change the ip addresses' class??? Obviously this is the very definition of "classless", but I'm struggling to picture how ICANN (or anyone for that matter) would prevent clashes in ip addresses due to the fact that there's so much addressing freedom in the hands of admins.

Second question:

In Question 5 of assignment 3, the question is "what is the theoretical maximum number of different subnets one could create on a network with the IP network ID 145.27.0.0, assuming the network could not interpret classless addressing?"... ummmm excuse the paraphrasing!!!

OK, my question is: in a subnet, the only limit is that the number of subnets and the number of subnetted host most both be greater than 2, thats because of the all 1's and all 0's addresses right, so as long as you have three bits you can have a valid subnett consisting of only 1 host (and the other two addresses are reserved). so clearly that would mean there's 2^13-2 subnets available (because theres 13 bits available for the subnetted-host information), but in the question there's no such option to choose from.

Thanks for the help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login