Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with COS214

Posted by Syzygy187 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Problem with COS214
July 25, 2007 09:55AM
Hi All,

I am working on assignment 4 at the moment and am finding it very time consuming and difficult. Due to my negligence I submitted a very weak attempt for assignment 3. I am possibly thinking of canceling COS214. Is COS214 a prerequisite for any of the final year modules? My only concern is that I might possibly put in a lot of time and still not make 100 credits for exam entrance.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
Re: Problem with COS214
July 25, 2007 02:30PM
Apparently we don't need to obtain 100 credits anymore. We only need to submit the compulsary assignments.

I think it's best you confirm this with your lecturer because there seems to be alot of confusion.

Check out this thread in Social Cafe:
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?196,56917

Some lecturers say it doesn't apply and some say it does. I donno what the hell to do!!
July 25, 2007 02:34PM
thanks dude!

I have sent through an email to the lecturers. Just awaiting a reply... im sure they are very busy at this time of the year.

I just seem to be spending more time debugging and trying to come up with ideas. That polynomial question has me stumped :p
July 25, 2007 04:51PM
Cool. Please paste the response here

ta!
Anonymous User
July 26, 2007 03:50PM
Its just tough still struggling with q1.
July 27, 2007 08:28AM
screw this assignment.
i asked a lot of questions on the internet and they say that the questions e.g. 7.3 is no easy task.
i predict that only a very small percentage of students will be able to do that.
watch this forum roar nearer to the 4th August.
this is a bunch of bullocks.
i would like to be able to do the question , but its a bit easy for the lecturers.
oh lets just ask them a few questions out of the textbook for this.
there are absolutely no indications on how to do the parsing of that string in 7.3 to HTML.
im ticked cause i gave in the first 3 assignments. im still waiting for assignment 3 to be marked, and now i dont know if i can write exam.
this is bull
July 27, 2007 10:35AM
I agree
July 27, 2007 05:05PM
Also agree that this assignment is quite a tough one. As far as the first two questions (7.2 and 7.3) go, maybe I can help just a little bit ...

7.2: The generic plotter applet will use the param child element of the applet HTML element in conjunction with the getParameter() method to get the function you want to plot. For an exmaple of this see page 187 of the textbook. I made a couple of assumptions on the structure of function that will be plotted and the question in general namely (1) the function will always consist of three terms in descending powers of x, (2) the code on page 270 can be used to plot the function and (3) we can extend the Plotter class as laid out in the textbook (note that these assumptions may be unfounded as I never did receive a response to my email query to the lecturers). By assuming that we can extend the Plotter class, the only thing I need do is override the func() and init() methods where in the former I will perform calculations based on the structure of the function read using getParameter() and in the latter I parse out the string value returned by getParameter() to actually retrieve values for the calculations that must be performed.

7.3: For this question I firstly created three classes which implemented the Function interface and for each I performed the respective calculation on the x-value coming in via parameter for (c), (d) and (e). Then I extended MultiPlotter as required and overrided the initMultiPlotter() method and in there I called addFunction() three times for each instance of the classes which were created in the first step.

Hope this sheds some light.

Steven
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login