Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OpenICDL?

Posted by neonpill 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
OpenICDL?
January 13, 2007 02:09PM
Hi

I was browsing the ICDL site (www.icdl.org.za) and noticed that they have an open version of the ICDL, using OpenOffice.org and Linux (see http://www.openicdl.org.za). Would I be able to get my CEM101 credit by completing the open one instead of the Microsoft version?

OpenOffice.org is, in my opinion and experience, far superior to MS Office, and freely installable on many more platforms than MS Office is. I also think it would be more academically-minded for the university to suggest open/free solutions, keeping commercial alternatives available as a fallback rather than the other way around. The more general an education, the better, right? Of course, it is up to the lecturers to decide what is best for students. Please take this as a suggestion only.

Could a lecturer please comment?

Thank you
Albie
Re: OpenICDL?
January 18, 2007 03:18PM
You may contact the ICDL-F to find out which testing centres are able to test using open source.

You will have to provide your own study material and no refunds are possible. We will also not be able to provide any support to you.

The approved syllabus for the course is based on the MS Office as this is currently the most widely available and well known product.
January 18, 2007 04:19PM
Thanks for the response.

Regarding the Courseware, OpenICDL makes it available for free download, so that is not a problem. I am investigating with the ICDL foundation regarding test centres.

Does this mean the OpenICDL will count for CEM101?
January 22, 2007 10:51AM
Yes, as long as you complete all 7 modules.
January 23, 2007 12:51PM
It seems the OpenICDL is only available at test centres rather remote to my location (Johannesburg), so I am forced to complete a standard MS ICDL.

For everyone's benefit, here is the response I got from the ICDL people:

Hi Albie

The following ICDL Centres offer OpenICDL:

Windermere Primary - Kensington - Western Cape

Chatterbox - Fish Hoek - Western Cape

Pinelands High School - Pinelands - Western Cape

Namibian Ministry of Education - Namibia

Grey College - Brandhof - Free State

NTS - Swaziland

Kindly contact the Centre closest to you for further information on
registering, course dates and fees.

Regards

Simone Jagger-Smith

ICDL Foundation in Africa
February 23, 2007 04:00PM
Very odd that the testing is in such remote places, Maybe that is where the only users of OpenOffice is winking smiley
April 18, 2007 10:41AM
Eish uhm hi guys! am new to this stuff.Havent received any thing for my ICDL and im starting to panic(which is serious considering i never panic no matter what. im in Pretoria and could really use wiht some help on how i should tackle the course based on what i might be examined about and what i should really put my focus on. i have previous computer experience so this shouldnt be that hardspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
"If you can't Fly, Run. If you can't Walk, Crawl. But whatever you do, keep moving." Martin Luther King Jr.
April 19, 2007 07:21AM
Hi.If i can remember correctly i recieved an email a while back saying that some of the icdl modules are availible for download from unisa's website.You can try that.
May 07, 2007 02:40PM
I don't know guys, may be iam the only one without the test schedule. Help!
May 21, 2007 02:05PM
Yo! Guess what guys. i just collected my courseware 4 days ago but i plan to finish everyting by July. ill keep you updated as to how far i am. is this thing difficult or just a walk in the parkeye rolling smiley
May 25, 2007 11:00AM
GafMan,

If this is too easy for you why do you then bother?

Try something real like programming or computer science instead.hot smiley
June 01, 2007 03:02PM
it is my correct e-mail address and sent me any relvant information
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login