Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Final Task

Posted by gregorian 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Final Task
April 09, 2007 06:25PM
When will details be given regarding the final task? I would like to get the task over and done with as soon as possible.

www.newshost.za.net
Mac
Re: Final Task
April 11, 2007 08:03AM
OK, I've made it available.
April 13, 2007 12:31AM
Am i just very tired that i cant find it?

www.newshost.za.net
Mac
April 13, 2007 07:30AM
It is in the downloads on the course website.....under tutorial letters...
April 15, 2007 05:45PM
Dont think i should have looked at that - realised there is a long way to go !!
April 15, 2007 10:54PM
That seems pretty simple. Do we need to create the database tables using code or may we manually create the tables in phpmyadmin? I did not see mention of a login requirement for registered students? May we vary our approach to the assignment or do we strictly have to follow the guidelines?

www.newshost.za.net
Mac
April 16, 2007 07:41AM
Creat with phpmyadmin. We provide the outline of what we want - what you add, and how you add it, is what determines your mark.
April 16, 2007 02:42PM
Hi,
What about the field attributes? Can we make them as we wish?
Do we just dump our databases in the end and send it together with our php5 code?
Regards
Reinie
Mac
April 18, 2007 01:08PM
We will just dump your code on our server and run the app, so the main thing is that your db schema must be the same as ours (which is in the tut letter). Other than that, it would be good if we can change your db connection details on one page (which you include in all tyour other pages where a connection is required). For the rest do as you wish.
Anonymous User
April 18, 2007 02:47PM
(1)Can you please give us the database IP and login details or a virtual one so we can test our code on it? Because if one bit of code doesnt correpond to your DB the programme wont run

(2) Where can we upload the project?
April 18, 2007 05:10PM
Mac, is there any use us submitting before the required date? Will the assignments only be moderated on or after that final date?

www.newshost.za.net
April 19, 2007 09:35AM
Hi,
I don't see the field attributes in the tutorial letter. Only the db,table and field names in point 4 (Detailed Table Attributes).
Can I get the detailed field attributes too please.
Regards
Reinie
Mac
April 20, 2007 08:41AM
There are just two requirements for your app to run on our server:

As per the tut letter, your db should be named "registration". The tables and fields are named as per the tut letter. That's all. Nothing else.

A dump of our db is provided hereunder. Use that to create your tables.

You should also provide us with a single file where we can change the db login details to ours.

We can't provide you with access to our db since that not only creates a security risk, but an added administrative process.

email the project in a zipped file to me. Name the zip file your student number, e.g. 1234567.zip

--
-- Database: `registration`
--

-- --------------------------------------------------------

--
-- Table structure for table `course`
--

CREATE TABLE `course` (
`cname` varchar(50) NOT NULL default '',
`cid` int(6) NOT NULL auto_increment,
PRIMARY KEY (`cid`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `course`
--

--
-- Table structure for table `course_student`
--

CREATE TABLE `course_student` (
`sno` int(6) NOT NULL default '0',
`cid` int(6) NOT NULL default '0',
`year` int(4) NOT NULL default '0'
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

--
-- Dumping data for table `course_student`
--

--
-- Table structure for table `student`
--

CREATE TABLE `student` (
`sno` int(6) NOT NULL auto_increment,
`sname` varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
`init` varchar(5) NOT NULL default '',
`fname` varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
`title` varchar(4) NOT NULL default '',
`msname` varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
`dob` varchar(8) NOT NULL default '',
`sex` char(2) NOT NULL default '',
`lang` varchar(10) NOT NULL default '',
`idno` varchar(13) NOT NULL default '',
`telh` varchar(12) NOT NULL default '',
`telw` varchar(12) NOT NULL default '',
`cel` varchar(12) NOT NULL default '',
`fax` varchar(12) NOT NULL default '',
`email` varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
`address` tinytext NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (`sno`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ;

--
-- Dumping data for table `student`
--
Anonymous User
April 20, 2007 10:56AM
Awesome!!

Thanks!smile
Mac
April 20, 2007 11:01AM
Will mark all assignments together...
April 20, 2007 08:52PM
Maybe, if Mac will allow, ill allow users to upload their final projects to my server for testing and maybe to let others see and compare?

www.newshost.za.net
Mac
April 22, 2007 05:42PM
You're welcome.... I'll even mark it from there, but you must still send me your code as I need to look at your code.
April 22, 2007 11:24PM
Cool stuff. Well closer to the assignment date we'll rethink the server thing.
Mac, how long u been coding mate? Just in PHP or other languages aswell?

www.newshost.za.net
Mac
April 23, 2007 07:46AM
Coded in ASP from about 1997. Then discovered PHP in 2000, and that was that. Not interested in something like Java, since I am of the opinion that whereas PHP started of and developed as a language for the web, Java is primarily a desktop language trying to be a web language... Lots of arguments about this - google for Java versus PHP. However, if you can program in one language, it is not too difficult to program in others - programming principles cut across languages. It is just the syntax that needs to be learned. Your next step should be OO-programming in PHP, but don't rush it smiling smiley
April 23, 2007 12:58PM
Ive been coding in several languages for some time now. Have focused alot on Delphi in the last 5 years and only recently coded a community site > www.newshost.za.net which inspired me to take the php course. Java, i must agree is pulling in opposite directions, its a language ive never enjoyed and never given much thought to. PHP is such a diverse and powerful language that incorporating it into Delphi is also a blessing for me.

www.newshost.za.net
Anonymous User
May 02, 2007 09:40AM
When is the project due for? My code is running but its not looking nice on the html side. I can send it now or if there is some time left I can make it look better/ more user friendly?
Anonymous User
May 02, 2007 01:12PM
Dont worry! Forgot to look in the tut.

Project details: Due date 9 June 2007
May 04, 2007 06:22AM
Whew!

The 9th of June is around the corner...

A Successful Nature Inspires Other People...
May 04, 2007 08:32AM
Hello Mac,

Are we allowed to add extra tables/field to the database desgin?

Nino Cloete
Mac
May 04, 2007 03:24PM
Nope - then I cannot test it since I run your code on our database which is as set out in the assignment. If you are able to host your app on a server which I can access, u.e. yousend me the URL, then you can do what you want. But you must still send my your code so I can evaluate your coding skills....
Anonymous User
May 06, 2007 02:00PM
Im using last years software. I think php 4.4.4 and mysql 2.something. Please list the Apache / Mysql and php you are using so I know mine will be compatible.
Mac
May 07, 2007 07:44AM
I switch to whatever version you are using....
May 15, 2007 03:15PM
From prac letter: "Clicking the Edit link will open the course details in a form, where the user can edit the details and do an update of the course name."

This little line makes it sound like each course has a rather large set of details, but according to "course" table in registration, isn't the course name the only thing you can actually edit, without creating more fields in the course table? I'm thinking the user probably shouldn't be able to edit the 'cid', to prevent duplicte 'cid's.

Is it correct that my form only allows the user to add, edit and delete course names and no other course info?
Mac
May 16, 2007 08:35AM
Yes, for this task that is correct. Only the name. If there were more fields (maybe like a description of the course), that would be added to the edit form. You can't edit the cid - you just use that to point to the field that must be updated/deleted
May 16, 2007 09:04PM
Hi,
For the purpose of the final task, how are prospective students to access 'Register a Student' if the admin interface is for admin/lecturers?
Is it assumed that both students and admins will access the same link on admin.php but that students wont have access to the other options? (also assumed, as login/password implementation isn't mentioned)confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login