Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

exam

Posted by Lois 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: exam
January 24, 2008 04:27PM
hehe... did you ad direct as an adjective?

i left 3 & 4 till the end (cause i didn't know what to do with them exactly) so i was still fresh by 5 winking smiley
Anonymous User
January 24, 2008 04:30PM
I looked at the other adjectives and they looked similar type words as the other adjectives, so i assumed it was supposed to be an adjective - on my tree diagram I said it was an adjective. I made other rules up though - those I specifically made a note of.

but, now I just wait and see what the results look like.
January 24, 2008 06:07PM
I had at least 5, possibly 6. That I had so many suggests I was on the wrong track, as the question implied that only a couple would be needed. Still, the fact that you could make up your rules means virtually any CFG and hence (valid) parse tree automatically is "correct".

This however does lead me to another problem with this aspect of the course, in that it required a disturbingly high understanding and knowledge of English grammar. While this is perhaps fair enough if you're actually writing English language processors, it seems less relevant in an introductory course about the general topic of language processing. I therefore didn't study too carefully the specifics of the different English language rules, as it would have been inappropriate in an exam (which I remind you was also set in Afrikaans...). Needless to say, I got this assumption wrong too smiling smiley
Anonymous User
January 25, 2008 09:10AM
I was wondering how people whose first language is not english coped with the paper. I am english but I didn't 'get' half the stuff.
January 25, 2008 02:18PM
I also added about 5 or 6 rules.

In hindsight I should have spited her for making such a badly formed question, and just made one rule that accepted the sentance winking smiley
Would have simplified my graph drawing a lot.

She probably doesn't have a sense of humour though :/

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
January 25, 2008 02:45PM
hehe... that would have been fun or at least interesting - it could also have been a waste of 1050 bucks winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login