Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

exam

Posted by Lois 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
exam
January 19, 2008 03:44PM
Hi. Anyone else really scared for this exam? The material is quite tricky - especially ch6.
Re: exam
January 19, 2008 08:10PM
Sure. The assignments were pretty interesting but not very helpful in terms of preparation or guidance for the exam, being so computer program-intensive.

If you have a limited number of hours to prepare, is it worth putting that time into fully understanding the Earley algorithm (which was in the assignments), or fully understanding the Ch6 discounting methods (which were not)?

Personally I am focusing on the stuff that was in the assignments, despite the lecturer's warning not to smileys with beer
January 20, 2008 11:37AM
Yup. Same here. I'm gona make sure i understand some of the bigger algos like Earley... Then just pray really hard on Tues smile
January 22, 2008 11:46AM
How any normal human being can be expected to remember everything in the first 13 chapters of this textbook at a level that can be reproduced under exam conditions is beyond me.

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
January 22, 2008 11:53AM
i agree... My brain cant fit it anymore info. Chap 11, 12, 13 is all a blur to me. anyway good luck guys...
January 22, 2008 11:58AM
Thanks, you too.

I am pretty sure I will probably fail this one, unless I get lucky with what is asked(Sort of like a lottery).
So I will need all the luck I can get.

--
Anonymous User
January 22, 2008 07:21PM
it sucked sad smiley she was right when she said the exam was nothing liek the assignments sad smiley
January 22, 2008 07:34PM
the paper was painful...
January 22, 2008 07:43PM
very.
worst lecturer ever IMHO.

--
January 23, 2008 11:13AM
I am sure that even Jurafsky himself would have struggled with this one!! I didn't think that we had to know the whole text book by heart for this paper!! aargh!!
Anonymous User
January 23, 2008 11:16AM
maybe if we all do badly they will *shift* the marks higher? I'd like to know by when we can expect results so that I can know if I must register for the new cos460 module or not.......
January 23, 2008 11:34AM
There is no way results will be out before the lectures for the new cos460H module...
Are we allowed to do COS460-H twice if its a different subject each time? :/

(I am sort of hoping for a shift as well)

--
Anonymous User
January 23, 2008 11:37AM
if you failed it you canredo it. Not sure you can do the new subject if you passed the old version of it.
January 23, 2008 11:52AM
My last exam is 11th feb and the seminar thing starts on 5 feb :/
Emailing lecture to find out if I can do both versions (Not that I think I passed this subject anyway)

--
January 23, 2008 11:56AM
--

--
January 23, 2008 12:23PM

2) You cannot register under the code COS460H, but I have spoken to a Unisa lecturer about administering the module under the project code COS498, ONLY for those students who have already passed COS460. This will however mean that you cannot do an additional project module under COS498 - the DL module will then count as your project module.
Damn that sucks

--
Anonymous User
January 23, 2008 12:38PM
Malcolm - which venue do you write exams at?
January 23, 2008 12:46PM
Germiston

--
Anonymous User
January 23, 2008 12:52PM
aah, that makes sense, i saw only 1 other person writing this dumb subject at randburg yesterday, and it wasn't you
January 23, 2008 12:55PM
hehe. Was one other person at germiston as well.
Not sure if he uses the forums or not though - didn't seem to be looking forward to the exam either though :/
I reckon there are only about 8 people who wrote the exam probably? sad smiley

--
Anonymous User
January 23, 2008 02:00PM
the person who sat behind me was obviously not enjoying the exam much either - not fro mthe muttered swearing and sighing I had to listen to for the length of the exam
January 23, 2008 03:08PM
lol

--
January 23, 2008 05:14PM
quantumf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you have a limited number of hours to prepare,
> is it worth putting that time into fully
> understanding the Earley algorithm (which was in
> the assignments), or fully understanding the Ch6
> discounting methods (which were not)?

Well, ironically the discounting stuff counted more than earley - 8 marks vs a fraction of 10 (call it 5)

That was a bugger of an exam. Definitely the best prepared I have been (it was my only subject) but it will be touch and go for me. The rule of thumb that thoroughly understanding the topics covered in the assignments will get you a pass (if not necessarily a high mark) was way off here. "Garden-path sentences"!!! For crying out loud.
January 23, 2008 05:18PM
Even putting the quantity of stuff we had to know aside.
The way the questions were asked was not even pleasant.
Take the context free grammar for example...
Why pick such a large sentence for us to graph? Why use such incomplete rules in it as well?
All of that for only 6 marks?!?!?!?

--
January 23, 2008 05:43PM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Even putting the quantity of stuff we had to know
> aside.
> The way the questions were asked was not even
> pleasant.
> Take the context free grammar for example...
> Why pick such a large sentence for us to graph?
> Why use such incomplete rules in it as well?
> All of that for only 6 marks?!?!?!?

That was a very tough one - it took me ages to do, and I was almost done when I realized that not only was direct not in the adjective list, there was no production to get to to adjectives at all! Sure, a few tough questions are expected to separate the distinctions from the passes, but this was nasty.

The two essay questions were the only ones that I felt actually tested your knowledge and understanding in a meaningful way. Unfortunately only one could be chosen. The rest mostly relied on either studying obscure factoids or learning techniques or algorithms not covered in the assignments.
January 23, 2008 05:56PM

That was a very tough one - it took me ages to do, and I was almost done when I realized that not only was direct not in the adjective list, there was no production to get to to adjectives at all! Sure, a few tough questions are expected to separate the distinctions from the passes, but this was nasty.
Yeah was one of the things I "knew" though so had to do it.
I think I spent over an hour doing it even though I knew what I was doing and it was an absolute mess. There were so many rules missing as well, as you said none for adjectives???

The two essay questions were the only ones that I felt actually tested your knowledge and understanding in a meaningful way. Unfortunately only one could be chosen. The rest mostly relied on either studying obscure factoids or learning techniques or algorithms not covered in the assignments.
Agreed.

--
January 24, 2008 11:19AM
i don't know... i didn't find it too bad... i missed witten-bell and virtirbi but otherwise i found it to be fair and pretty good.
Anonymous User
January 24, 2008 01:15PM
we were allowed to make up rules for the adjective part - weren't we? or was I totally off the garden path on that as well?
January 24, 2008 04:04PM
smiling smiley i think so... i make about 5 rules...
Anonymous User
January 24, 2008 04:11PM
I made 2. then again by that time I just wanted to go home
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login