Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Masters

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
August 11, 2006 08:49AM
Hi there,

Has anyone here completed a masters before? If so, what was your research topic and how long did it take you? Very interested to hear about these practical issues..... grinning smiley

Riaan
Anonymous User
Re: Masters
August 11, 2006 10:27AM
Yes, I have done a masters - also part time - I think the total thing took me 4 years but I only did a reasearch report as I did half course work half research topic.

I was lucky that I had a topic to do stuff on from work. I also had the problem that my supervisor kept going overseas for weeks/months at a time so I would submit a version of my project only to have to wait forever to hear back from him. Lastly, after my project went to external examiners there was a big hooha cause they said they had seen the work before - obviosuly as it was for my work they had used it too. I had to get my managers to write a letter explaining that the work was something I did for them and had then submitted as a research topic.

I think if it weren't for all the hiccups and waiting around for people I would have finished in 2 years.

My previous masters was not in the IT field so I think that also plays a large role. Also, from the company I worked for, I had something like 25 years worth of data to use - I didn't have to go and make new data up or gather data - that also takes a long time - I know other people who started projects from scratch and it took them quite a long time to collect their data.

Celene
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login