Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installation Problems

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Re: Installation Problems
February 16, 2006 01:10PM
This is an unzip error,i.e. the files are being extracted onto your Hard Disk so t hat it van be used for installing FoxServ. So something went worng. Try again. OD better, do a diskdefragment first to make sure your disk drive is an a good condition. A chekdisk would be good do.
February 16, 2006 01:21PM
Thank you. smiling smiley

I tried to install it directly off the CD too, but no luck. So it must be my pc. I did a format about 2 weeks ago. But will try install it on another pc while I sort this one out. Ick.
February 16, 2006 04:32PM
I have the same problem on both my PC's at work and at home. Then I download version 3.0 from http://sourceforge.net/projects/foxserv/ and it install without problems.
Mac
February 16, 2006 07:02PM
I'll tell you this much. One installs on a wing and a prayer. About 85% of installs are witohut problems.

I'll try and help as much as I can, but since no PC's are the same, it is extremely difficult to offer suggestions. I have to judge my experience and common sense. But ultimately there is no way I can anticipate that you have Skype installed, which clashes with the ports FoxServ requires (on a default installation). Googling your errors brings a lot of relief.....

BTW, a port is merely a "listening device" that waits for calls. In this case, Apache listens on port number 80 for requests to do something with whatever you send them (PHP code in our case). Ports are not from 1 to n. Not part of this course, so I'll stop here smile
February 16, 2006 07:38PM
Thank you! winking smiley

I'll download it this evening, and hopefully it'll work.
February 17, 2006 07:28AM
Foxserv - installed! Thank you! smiling smiley

Now. To figure out everything else.
I've installed PHP Designer too. I have a feeling I'm not even close to finish just yet...

P.S. My PC is simply 'moody' at times. :p
February 17, 2006 08:07AM
Me again, sorry...

I've installed:

Foxserv
PHP Designer
MySQL
PHP 4

When I open localhost/Hello.php, it works. I just saved the script from PHP Designer into the foxserv/www folder for now.

Am I on the right track?
Alice
February 17, 2006 08:11AM
If I open:

http://localhost/StudentPHP/Hello.php

and it displays, is my installation good? Sorry for posting so much...

Just so exciting! smiling smiley
Mac
February 17, 2006 08:12AM
If it works - certainly!

If you think you're exited now, wait till you've drawn your first data from a db..... I remember the first day (ok, morning, 0h010) I drew my first data (using ASP) in 1997. I went ballistic. All of a sudden you understand what you can do having these skills. Like automating this and that task at work!!

Oh, and if it displays without errors, it means you've made no typos, which is not too difficult in a one liner winking smiley.

If you think you're exited now, wait till you get errors in a file 3900 lines in length and for some reason or another just can't find that ' or ; or " missing $ that's causing the error, despite knowing more or less on which line it is.

February 17, 2006 06:57PM
Hah! Thanks for the warning, and all!

I've been designing with basic HTML for a while now, adding scripts on here and there as clients request them.. but nothing that really "fascinates" me. My goal with this course is to learn how I.. ME.. can manipulate things and get things working the way I want them to work.

I must admit, I'm a bit 'scared' of the entire database thing. To me, it's always been the Comp Sci blokes that did that kind of thing.. and me, a mere mortal, just wouldn't be able to! But as you said above, when things actually work - it's really exciting.

And sifting through 3500+ lines of code - something I'd happily do if it means the end product is fab. This course should have come with some hardcore potent coffee... smiling smiley I guess there are many sleepless nights when it's just you and those 3500+ lines of code. Bring it on!

A question...

After reading your 'blog', PHP 5, is that very different to PHP 4? Just curious as to know the difference between the two..

LAST thing, I swear..

No spelling mistakes. But .. ok. When I open the http://localhost address, and it says - YAY you installed all ok, I click on a link to check Perl and I get an error there: Internal Server Error. I knew it couldn't be as simple as I thought..
Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.