Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Software version numbers

Posted by Alice Jarvis 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Software version numbers
November 01, 2006 10:09PM
A quick question...

I had thought that the version of PHP we were using - installed using FoxServ - was version 5, but if I use the phpinfo() command it is telling me it is version 4.2.2. Are there any implications in upgrading to version 5? i.e. will everything still work as it does?

Also, for MySQL - the version number is 4.0.1. This seems to be giving me problems (as described in the thread for 6A1) which can be resolved by running a file (mysql_fix_privilege_tables.sql) BUT this apparently works best with a newer version of MySQL. Are there likely to be problems with upgrading?

How 'friendly' is the Apache/PHP/MySQL setup in this regard?
Mac
Re: Software version numbers
November 03, 2006 07:46AM
FoxServ is still 4. XAMPP is 5.

There are differences - for example you have to use $_POST to catch a variable, whereas with 4 it is automatically available, i.e. if you use "name" in a form in V4 then on the next page $name will be available. With 5 you have to use $_POST to get the variable.

Just uninstall foxserv (dump mysql files first so you can import again) and install XAMPP. Move your files over to the xammp directory. You'll have to code in a few lines here and there. XAMPP install much easier and is better than Foxserv.

I'll run your prac on watever version you used.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login