Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Task 6A-1. That was interesting!

Posted by pennysandrews 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Task 6A-1. That was interesting!
July 20, 2006 12:00PM
I typed in hacking+cracking+tools into the Google search engine and one of the first sites in the results was this one:
http://www.hnc3k.com/

From this site you can download:
• cracking programs
• passwords hacking tools
• cracks
• virus creation software
• computer viruses information
• easy cracking and hacking tutorials on how to crack registration codes, password protection, serial numbers, hack irc, hotmail, aol, msn emails accounts, credit card and cell phone utilities

I was shocked! (This is my first investigation into the dark side of the internet).

I then looked at the list of tools. It tells you what the tool is and what it does. It also allows you to download the tool. Here is the list:

W32Dasm v8.9: W32Dasm is a powerful windows 32 bits disassembler

HIEW v6.70: HIEW (Hackers vIEW) is a good and easy to use hex / text editor. It also has a "decode" function which helps to view the code of the program in assambler

Adump v1.0: Dumper

File Monitor v4.33: File monitoring tool

FrogsICE v0.31: FrogsICE is a VxD (Virtual device driver for Windows). It allows you to intercept programs which would try to detect if SoftICE is loaded. It is particularly useful for packed / encrypted programs. FrogsICE runs ONLY on Win95/98 OS

Patch Engine v1.32: Creates standalone-patches

Windows ME Debugger Kit': Drivers pack needed by SoftICE to work under Windows Millennium

SmartCheck v6.03: Powerful windows visual basic debugger. Download not available from http://www.hnc3k.com/ but it is available at http://freeserials.spb.ru/idx/N2.html

The authors of this site say that these cracking tools (also referred to as reverse engineering tools) are for education only. The disclaimer at the bottom of the site sternly warns any harm-doers to do no harm. However, I doubt that those 5 sentences in the disclaimer will deter anyone who intends to cause chaos – in fact, with the kind of people the textbook says tend to be hackers (adolescence with a lot of free time and patience) rebelling against society is part of the thrill. So this warning would probably egg them on if anything.

Here is the disclaimer.
This site contains materials that can be potentially damaging or dangerous. If you do not fully understand something on this site, then GO OUT OF HERE! Refer to the laws in your province/country before accessing, using, downloading, or in any other way utilizing these materials. These materials are for educational and research purposes only. Do not attempt to violate the law with anything contained here. If this is your intention, then LEAVE NOW! Neither administration of this server, the authors of this material, or anyone else affiliated in anyway, is going to accept responsibility for your actions.

Another sire I looked at was this one:

Hackerscatalogue.com

Here you can buy CD-roms with all the hacking and cracking tools you need. You should read these, it's fascinating:

1. Guide To Hacking ' 2006 ' CD-ROM:

The Guide to Hacking 2006 is here! Exclusively at HackersCatalog.com. Bigger as GtoH 2005. A fresh release CD-ROM with more with guides, tools, tutorials and more for the latest hacking education!. Email Bombers, Spoofing, Anonymity Software, Viruses Guides, Bluetooth, remote computer access, Hacking Newbie section, guides and tutorials, Cracking Tools, Keyloggers, Spy Software Detection, Hacking Code, Password Stealers, Sniffers, and more. Library full of useful tips and hints, as well as an excellent source of reference. The long awaited drought is over! Get your copy today !

The Price: $20

2. Smart Guide to Hacking Professional ( NEW ):

The next step in our guide to hacking line-up. The smart guide to hacking professional takes a hard in-depth look at the following subjects. With hard target resources and in-depth learning from over 100 sites and tutorials, this is the CD to advance your knowledge of hacking...
Serious Newbie Guide ,Top 10 Windows Vulnerabilities, Web Servers & Services, Workstation Service, Windows Remote Access Services, Microsoft SQL Server (MSSQL), Windows Authentication, Web Browsers, File-Sharing Applications, LSAS Exposures, Mail Client, Instant Messaging, Hacking Secrets ( Revealed ), Hacking Part I, Hacking Part II, Hacking Part III, Hacking Part IV, Online Privacy Tools, Encrypted Email, Anonymous Users, Proxy Settings, and more..

The Price: $20

3. Master Hacker PRO ( NEW ):

Back and better than ever. Master Hacker PRO is now a three disk set. That's right, three disks covering all newly updated. A long time in the making the new CD covers everything listed below in an easy to use menu driven autorun CD pack.

Master Hacker CD is now a three CD-ROM set

CD1 - Tutorials (with FULL autorun menu), Hacking Dictionary and Language, Hacking Group Magazines, Tutorials on Cracking Software, Tutorials on Phreaking, "Life of a Hacker", Group Archives, Hackers "how to" section, References and Resources

CD2- Software (with FULL autorun menu), Hacking Tools, Cracking Software, Password Archive, Password Cracking, Full Programming Section, Software and Guides, Proxy Server software, Links to Hacking Resources

CD3 - Virus (care needed), Trojans, Viri, Virus construction kits, Source code

Master Hacker PRO ( 3 Disk Set ): Price - $ 25.00

Anything you need is readily available – the potential to cause monumental chaos in one click and $25 away!!

Without even trying I found all this stuff. I definitely think there needs to be some control. Maybe some sort of tag gets added to anyone who enters the site so that they can be monitored from then on. Is there some way that if you enter a site and download from it you leave some sort of evidence behind like you would leave a fingerprint in the real world?

Maybe the sites that say they provide cracking info for educational reasons should have a sign it page so you can’t enter it unless you are registered and that way anyone entering can be tracked.

I agree with the other students that it is good to have this information out there so that you can make sure your security system is up to date. But if the information wasn’t out there would you have to secure your system?

What if you could remove the need to have this information available for education / for people to check their security? What if the people that supply the software and programmes that get hacked into also provide a “checking service�. They “hack� into your system, check your security, and beef it up if necessary. If it is a service provided with the purchase of the product then there would be no need for the information to be available on the net where people who are up to no good can get hold of it.

This was a very interesting and eye-opening exercise.

grinning smiley
Penny
Re: Task 6A-1. That was interesting!
July 20, 2006 04:40PM
Well having looked at the hacking scene for a while yes there is ready available PDF's and software out there that explain to the not so clued up individuals how to start hacking and cracking software. This in itself is concerning that people are shown step by step what they need to know.

My opinion is that yes there should be some for of control exercised as to what is allowed to be made readily available, looking from the other side of the mirror if these documents weren’t available the security industry wouldn't have a need to exist, the best way to learn how to prevent intrusions is to know how the gain there access to site and so on.

It literally is a dual edged sword having upside and downside to being able to gain knowledge like this, but as in all cases it is up to the individual that has the knowledge to decide if they wanted to use it with good or bad intentions.

July 21, 2006 03:44PM
I had a look as the site :http://www.hnc3k.com/

It starts with : "Download cracking programs, passwords hacking tools, cracks, virus creation software, computer viruses information, easy cracking and hacking tutorials on how to crack registration codes, password protection, serial numbers, hack irc, hotmail, aol, msn emails accounts, credit card and cell phone utilities, phreaking tools and tutorials... also a newbie tutorial on softice breakpoints, free mp3 music and song lyrics downloads..."

Then they tell you:
"This site contains materials that can be potentially damaging or dangerous. If you do not fully understand something on this site, then GO OUT OF HERE! Refer to the laws in your province/country before accessing, using, downloading, or in any other way utilizing these materials. These materials are for educational and research purposes only. Do not attempt to violate the law with anything contained here. If this is your intention, then LEAVE NOW! Neither administration of this server, the authors of this material, or anyone else affiliated in any way, is going to accept responsibility for your actions."

They have Tutorials and manuals on how to hack and crack.

How to prevent these techniques?
I don't know. Do not visit 'funny' sites, fire walls, anti virus software, if you suspect anything, look in the system log, put security systems in place.

The detailed instructions are good in the sense that you can figure out what happened to your software. It is bad because it enables anyone who knows a bit of programming and computers to use it to start hacking.

Yes - it is a good idea to monitor the hackers sites - because then you know what kind of attacks you have to prevent and secure your network against.
July 22, 2006 02:05AM
It was my first time too to have a look at this part of Internet.
But in fact, what is evident is that you have to be very smart to be a hacker. You have to be a highly skilled programmer and so on. Maybe it is the intellectual fascination of the hacking techniques that attract some. But they are also some that are doing it to become rich quickly!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login