Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hosting alternative

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Hosting alternative
July 04, 2013 03:32PM
Please see this post http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?565,179167 for a hosting alternative to FWHA. It is local, and some of the problems (such as sites being deleted) should not be a problem any more. If someone tries it out, please tell us here how it works. I have emailed them and they are happy to accommodate you.
Re: Hosting alternative
July 07, 2013 08:50PM
That will be good. I will definitely try it.
July 23, 2013 02:29PM
Thanks, I will also try it.
July 25, 2013 08:55AM
The hosting service is maybe more reliable because its local to us,but on the other-hand, you can only use ftp to upload your files as there is no "GUI" control panel or myPHPadmin for SQL.The SQL must be written in code from scratch (like creating ur database and tables) in your PHP files which can maybe be time consuming.
For me... i think i will stick to freeorg.
July 25, 2013 06:56PM
Hi guys,

The freehosts.co.za site does not have a FTP tool.
You need to install a FTP tool on your pc/laptop in order to upload files.
I have downloaded and used SmartFTP and it works great.
Here is the link:
http://www.smartftp.com/download
July 25, 2013 08:24PM
But it was gonna be better if there was a control panel and also a myPHPadmin, so i guess u are gonna write ur SQL from scratch? These days people like things done comfortable without any hassles.
July 25, 2013 08:46PM
@Mariuspienaar

Yep, I totally agree.
I tested it so far, i only uploaded one xxx.php file as a test and it displays properly.
August 22, 2013 06:56PM
I emailed them and will register soon. Their service looks good as they respond promptly.
August 23, 2013 05:41PM
I'm gonna stick with freehostia.
October 29, 2013 07:41AM
Hi Mac

I am using freeod.com...everything is working fine. There is one page that is not connecting to the database. Will i get 0% for one page. I am struggling to get other free sites. Everything has been working but since Monday that page gives and error.
I am panicking since i do not want to repeat this module. Is there anyone guys who is experiencing the same problem and how do I sort it out. Please Help!!!eye popping smiley
Mac
October 29, 2013 08:42AM
If there is no db connection there is nothing to be marked.. sad smiley
October 29, 2013 10:27AM
Does that mean i will get mark down for the entire portfolio because everything is working fine except OOP5Select? All other services are working. It was working until yesterday. I cannot find any free website.confused smiley
October 29, 2013 11:24AM
ok its now working. I think the server was down. What a relieve spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
October 29, 2013 11:37AM
it is now working...............spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login