Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hosting alternative

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Hosting alternative
July 04, 2013 03:27PM
Please see this post http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?565,179167 for a hosting alternative to FWHA. It is local, and some of the problems (such as sites being deleted) should not be a problem any more. If someone tries it out, please tell us here how it works. I have emailed them and they are happy to accommodate you.
Re: Hosting alternative
July 09, 2013 06:45AM
I sent through an email to them just now requesting a promocode for the hosting. I'll post again on the response time and how the hosting setup works once I receive a reply from them.
July 09, 2013 09:48AM
OK, received an application form from them in response the the initial query.

I do find the content of said form to be a bit weird considering the hosting is for IT/IS student projects. I don't think many students will have their own company yet, and for employed students like myself my company has no relevance to the hosting for the assignment/portfolio pages we need since they're specific to this course, not to my work. The form just feels a bit bloated in it's information requirements for simple hosting for university projects.

That said, I've completed and returned the form with all company, target audience and design preference question answers marked as N/A so we'll see what the response is.
July 09, 2013 09:18PM
I have sent my email through, wrote a short message and now waiting for response. smile

eSignal has allocated a space in its hosting servers for aspiring web designers and developers.

To qualify to use our hosting servers, you must be a registered student in IT and use our hosting services for non-commercial purpose.

Email: enquiries@esignal.co.za to get a promcode and settings to host for free for indefinitely. we would like to have more of these CSI projects to release tools for practise in the future,
hence, we appeal that only IT students who wish to practise their skills in good faith without damaging our environment.
July 10, 2013 10:21AM
Still awaiting response after sending through the application form yesterday morning.
July 10, 2013 12:04PM
May I still use FWHA, is there any known problems with FWHA other than a site being deleted if not visited monthly?
Mac
July 10, 2013 01:11PM
FWHA you need to keep it alive - if it is not visited it is deleted. .
July 10, 2013 02:57PM
I am pleasantly surprised by some of the free hosting providers on the internet, as up to now, I had to pay my Webhost R40 per month for a basic MYSQL enabled website. I didn't know you could get hosting for free.
Mac
July 10, 2013 04:08PM
It generally is not free in the truest sense.... they runs ads or have some other darker schemes. If I had a real site, I will pay for it.
July 11, 2013 06:21AM
And still no response from the eSignal guys after sending in the application form. Either they're extremely busy and the free student hosting isn't a priority, which would make sense, or they don't want to give me hosting.

Either way, other students should be aware of the potential delay and/or the fact that they might not even set up the hosting for you at all, so don't wait until the last minute to get the hosting for the assignment or portfolio sites if you plan to try and use eSignal. Apply early, and just to be safe also look at securing alternative hosting just in case.
July 15, 2013 02:23PM
hi guys
what is the link or website name for 'FWHA '??
July 16, 2013 09:50PM
Its www.freewebhostingarea.com
July 24, 2013 08:39AM
Forgot to post an update on the eSignal guys. Received the free hosting details, but it took about two weeks from my initial application, so it's definitely not going to work if you only have a couple of days left to the submission deadline.

Still have to test the hosting though, which I'll probably get around to today or tomorrow when I do the assignment 1 submission.
Re: Hosting alternative - eSignal Feeback
July 24, 2013 10:51AM
Good day guy

We are one of the luckiest hosting companies to manage to "sneak in" to Osprey Unisa Forum and see what our free hosting clients are saying about us.

In anticipation of the confirmed number of students from UJ, Unisa and UWC we have developed an online form, hence, the process is quite faster than our previous applicants.

Just to address the myth, Free Hosting to students is part of our Innovation Hub Initiative such a as Open Source Initiatives in relation to our business and sustainability model hence non-paying clients are as important as paying hosting clients.

However, we plead to students to request as early as possible to assist us with the balanced work-load from paying to non-paying students.

Regards,
Pamela from eSignal Technologies
Re: Hosting alternative - eSignal Feedback
July 24, 2013 11:19AM
Good day, Niel

" I am pleasantly surprised by some of the free hosting providers on the internet, as up to now, I had to pay my Webhost R40 per month for a basic MYSQL enabled website. I didn't know you could get hosting for free."

That is quite a lot for just hosting, we charge our paying client R 29 per month with the free domain and setup, Cpanel, 300MB space etc

The difference between that and our Innovation Hub Package for IT/IS/Bsc Computer science students in that instead of a registered domain, we provide a subdomain and no Cpanel, because this package is for non-commercial purpose and is just a innovation playground.

To chat with us further, you can contact our shop at 012 664 6858

Regards,
Pamela@eSignal Technologies
IT Consultant
July 24, 2013 11:23PM
Hi All;

Just a question guys I have a my own domain name and my own hosting so I believe I do not need worry about all this free hosting thing. I know electricity its expensive these days but giving it a try running your own mail, dns, and web servers its a real benefit.

Thank you

Nyokahombe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login